Re: rotary table size?

  • rogers92026
    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 18 9:56 AM
      Having a rotary table can be invaluable for some operations.

      But a poor man's alternative (especially if you are milling something soft like aluminum) might be a manual (no gears) type of home-built rotary table. The table is rotated with a handle sticking out. I recall seeing one on Youtube. I recall that the guy put pins in the table to make it easy to mill to common angles like 15, 30, 45, 60, 75 and 90 degrees, etc. Here is the Youtube link to the Chuck Fellows video (he did a nice job): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=am5774rnjtU

      His rotary table won't do some things, but it will actually do a few things well and faster than a typical screw drive table...

      --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, Dana Hague <d-m-hague@...> wrote:

      > I'm figuring I need a rotary table for various projects, but I can't spend
      > a lot... this is for a Jet mill/drill. I see lots of cheap (<$100) 3" and
      > 4" imports with horizontal/vertical mounting on ebay, or I can get an
      > unknown brand used 6" one with only horizontal mounting for a comparable
      > price. How useful/accurate are the tiny imported ones?

    • miker557
      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 18 4:15 PM
        My only advise is to stay away from the Harbor Freight 6" rotary table. I bought one years ago for my Rockwell, and ended up sending it back. First - it's made in India, and while that by itself isn't necessarily bad, the unit looked like it was finished by hand using a bastard file - even the graduation marks looked like they were hand-scribed (not even straight). Second - size. While the table was 6" in diameter, the base was well over 8" across. It was HUGE, and just barely fit on the 6x26 table of my Rockwell. Third - weight. The base of the unit was thick cast iron, and the entire unit weighed in at over 50 pounds! I dunno about you, but I don't have a crane handy to lift the thing on and off my table ....

        As I said, I sent it back, and took the hit on the restocking fee. I then bought a Chinese-made 6" unit that had a 6" base, and weighed 20-something pounds less - not to mention that it looked like it could make precise cuts (as opposed to the HF unit, which didn't).

        Miker
      • Guenther Paul
        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 18 4:39 PM
          Miker
          You gotta eat more wheat's to lift your attachments. I do

          GP

          Message 4 of 15 , Apr 19 2:25 AM
            Dana,

            I have a 6" Phase II table. It is a well made product, but came damaged. The handle on the handwheel was bent pretty badly. I got the table from Enco, and a phone call was all it took to get it resolved. They wanted me to return the table but I didn't want to pay shipping for such a minor thing. They offered me a price adjustment which I took and then just drilled out the hole in the wheel for the next size imperial thread (3/8-16) and tapped to accept a handle from my collection of parts. I wish now that I had gone with at least an 8" diameter table. Think about the size of parts you will be making and don't go any smaller than you MIGHT need. I've had to do some creative fixturing to hold 8" and larger parts.
          • svsequoia_pdx
            Message 5 of 15 , Apr 19 7:43 AM
              Dana:

              I have an 8" Phase II and I am glad I got one at least that big. (I have an RF 45 clone mill/drill.) Attaching a chuck or collet holder to a smaller one can be a pain. Also consider that the center hole has a Morse taper and whether or not you have MT tooling holders for that size.

              The Phase II operates smoothly and appears well-designed except for the hand wheel, which is plastic molded over a keyed steel insert. Their website pictures show a metal wheel but it wasn't available. I actually got my table on sale because the plastic wheel had broken in shipping to the distributor. (I was planning on gluing it back together and moving the handle to a different location, but they didn't send the broken bits and the handle, so I just bought a new wheel from Phase II and turned a brass handle for it.) One of the virtues of Phase II is that they have parts for their Chinese imports!

              Most experienced machinists also recommend getting a horizontal/vertical table.
              Craig
            • Guenther Paul
              Message 6 of 15 , Apr 19 10:36 AM
                Cutty Sark
                Hey just want to tell you i used to drink that poison now i cant hardly find it in stores. That's ok don't need it

                GP

                Message 7 of 15 , Apr 20 6:29 PM
                  You could build your own rotary table. Here is the one that Mr. Ishimura made. He includes photos and drawings.

                  http://homepage3.nifty.com/amigos/index_table/indextable-e.htm

                  Be sure to look at all the tools he has made. His projects always show the highest workmanship.

                  Orlin in SC/USA