Re: [mill_drill] Big Red Head pinning

  • Corey Renner
    Message 1 of 19 , Apr 5, 2013
      Very clever.

      cheers,

      On Fri, Apr 5, 2013 at 11:27 AM, <philr_77378@...> wrote:

      Notice that it's "threaded taper pins" in my post.  These are easier to remove, but can still be difficult
      if they are jammed in too tight.  I used these a lot on machinery I designed.  To get needed precision, parts were sometimes made, then assembled using the pins, then subsequent machining done on the assembly to assure precision, yet allow disassembly if needed. Almost as good as a stress relieved weldment but serviceable for maintenance or modification.
      Phil R
    • Guenther Paul
      Message 2 of 19 , Apr 5, 2013
        Corey
        If you have a big red you should consider pining the head. I did not like it yesterday when i had to super torque the head to keep it in place. I am thinking of turning big red into a cnc then the head has to stay put.

        GP

        Message 3 of 19 , Apr 5, 2013
          Phil
          Is this the type of threaded taper pin your talking about
          GP

          Message 4 of 19 , Apr 5, 2013
            Paul, that's it. Here is a pic of mine: http://www.accuratepower.com/pics/pin_n_hole.jpg . Mike

            --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, Guenther Paul <paulguenter@...> wrote:

            > Phil
            > Is this the type of threaded taper pin your talking about
            >
            > http://www.mcmaster.com/#92284A415%c3%82%c2%a0GP
            >

            > ________________________________

          • philr_77378
            Message 5 of 19 , Apr 5, 2013
              Yep, that's it.  I saw them at MSC also.
              Phil R

              > Is this the type of threaded taper pin your talking about
              >
              > http://www.mcmaster.com/#92284A415 GP
              >

              > ________________________________

            • philr_77378
              Message 6 of 19 , Apr 5, 2013
                yep

                Message 7 of 19 , Apr 5, 2013
                  Michael,
                  Just saw the pics, great job. Nice job on drilling the taper hole in the difficult location.    It looks exactly like what I want to do to my MD.  Any drilling tips you want to share?
                    Phil R

                  > Is this the type of threaded taper pin your talking about
                  >
                  > http://www.mcmaster.com/#92284A415 GP
                  >

                  > ________________________________

                • philr_77378
                  Message 8 of 19 , Apr 6, 2013
                    I don't know how big the flange is on your mill.  It was Michael Parrish who already did this.  It will be hard to drill 1/2" in the location Michael Parrish shows in his post.  It looks like he is holding about a 3/8" size.   The flange on my mill is about 2" thick.  Mine is a little different from Mr Parrish.  I am in no rush on that project, as I have a set up on the mill I don't want to tear down to perfect the tram.  Look at the Parrish post and check both his links if you have not done so.   This is something you have to do right, or don't do it at all.
                    Phil R

                    What size pins do you recommend. I was thinking at about 1/2". Can you direct me to your post
                    GP

                    Message 9 of 19 , Apr 6, 2013
                      Phil
                      What do you think about installing the same type of pin in the up and down column as well. My quill travel is 3 3/8, i thought to drill several holes in the column 3 1/4 " apart there is side movement in that as well. That would lock all 90 degrees to the table.

                      GP

                      Message 10 of 19 , Apr 6, 2013
                        Phil, that's a factory thing on my mill. I've just been careful not to loose the pin :) . Mill is a Rong Fu JFC45N2F, I have had it for many years. Sorry for the confusion, Mike

                        --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, philr_77378@... wrote:

                        > Michael,
                        > Just saw the pics, great job. Nice job on drilling the taper hole in the difficult location.    It looks exactly like what I want to do to my MD.  Any drilling tips you want to share?
                        >
                        >   Phil R

                      • Guenther Paul
                        Message 11 of 19 , Apr 6, 2013
                          Michael
                          Once i installed the taper pin in the head of my big red i will put some type of holding device on it so i don't miss place or loose it ( like a small chain ). I really don't see many reason's to remove the pin once it is in place.

                          GP