Re: [mill_drill] r8 collets

  • Jerry Durand
    Message 1 of 53 , Apr 1, 2013
      On 04/01/2013 01:19 PM, philr_77378@... wrote:
      I don't really understand how the key can help accuracy, once the tool starts spinning, run out is the same, no matter where you locate radially. These spindles and collets  The only exception to this I can think of would be if you chucked a piece in the spindle to turn a true cylinder like a lathe, then wanted to remove the chuck & part from the spindle for another operation, and re-install it, but how many people ever do something like that.  A simple witness mark before removing the part would do in that case.  The only place I can think of where the key might help, is if you have a power drawbar.  I have very little time on machines equipped with that, so I don't really remember.  There must be purpose for the screw, otherwise why would it always be there, someone out there would know.
      Respectfully,
      Phil R

      On my mill there was a small bump on the taper.  The collets I'd been using for 20 years always aligned the say way seem to have conformed to this but a brand new ER-32 chuck that's hardened found it.  :(

      tel: +1 408 356-3886, USA toll free: 1 866 356-3886
      Skype:  jerrydurand

    • Stan Stocker
      Message 53 of 53 , Apr 2, 2013
        Hi Folks,

        I probably missed it, thought this was the thread about the pin being
        long in import mills. The drawbar may be too long, so the threads are
        bottoming out before you pull the collet closed. Add a few washers
        under the head if this is the case and see if it helps. You can make a
        shoulder washer for the top of the spindle for a nicer job.

        Stan