Re: [mill_drill] Enco Rong Fu sale mill/drill

  • Robert Broughton
    Message 1 of 57 , Mar 27, 2013
      That is a good mid-sized machine (vs the mini mills or the full sized mills) and it will probably work well for using in the second level of the garage. Being that it weighs about 750 lbs, you may need to do additional supports for the 2nd story flooring. Just to be a little bit safer, you should probably keep it closer to the walls versus the middle of the area. The full sized mills weight too much and the mini-mill have more limited rigidity and travel.

      For me, the downside of that particular mill is that the head would not rotate 90 degrees and I like having the geared head vs changing the belt for different speeds. Others would prefer the square column vs the round column but for me, it hasn't really affected what I can do on it. You just have to plan more.

      The next part is the time vs money. There are less expensive versions of that mill/drill like the HF version here:
      http://www.harborfreight.com/1-1-2-half-horsepower-heavy-duty-milling-drilling-machine-33686.html
      But you would need to add a power feed (about 300) a dro system. The DRO systems can run from several hundred and up They go from the Shumatech 350 (it has issues with jitter and other things) to Chinese DRO systems to more established systems. The shumatech can be assembled yourself while here are two examples of the chinese types (about 600 each.
      http://www.meisterdro.com/servlet/the-Meister-Digital-Readout/Categories
      http://www.digitalreadoutsystem.com/index.html

      Instead of buying the stand you could make your own or buy a wood stand from someplace like Home Depot or Lowes and put your own top on it. The pr-emade stand is already setup for catching fluids if you use different types of coolants. However you would still need to provide side panels and a coolant system for the drain (a lot of people do just a mist or machine dry).

      So by doing parts of it yourself, you could lower your cost from 3100 to (1100+300+600+200) about 2200 for nearly the same setup and extra work.

      Another thing you need to consider is the extra tool you will want to either make or buy. Here is a site where the person made a few of their own tools for the mill and lathe.
      http://homepage3.nifty.com/amigos/index-e.html
      Making your own tools will help improve your skills and give you functional tools at the same time.

      Overall, this is a wonderful hobby and it gives many people pleasure at the ability to make your own tools, repairs, model, and prototypes. Enjoy.
      Bob

      Message 57 of 57 , Apr 11, 2013
        Well if you ever want to rent out your nephews, let me know. All I have is a 16 year old son, pretty dang smart but just getting into his growth...

        Frank S.