Re: [mill_drill] Re: making the spouse happy

  • Guenther Paul
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 25, 2013
      Paul
      The fact is professional chefs like to use carbon steel blade knifes and they start at $ 500.00 and up each

      GP

      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 25, 2013
        I have been a professional chef and some of us like carbon steel knives while others prefer stainless high carbon steel knives.  I have both types.  Carbon steel knives with wood handles require more care, but any artist and craftsman tends to take good care of his tools.  I am sure you all understand that concept.

        Excellent knives do not need to be expensive.

        This fine American company:

        Makes knives like these:
        Check the prices.  I prefer these knives to the big name German cutlery makers’ products, which I also have.  Also note that these are prices from the manufacturer on their web site.  These knives can be purchased for less, much less, at your local restaurant supply or discount internet store...

        I have no use for ceramic or other high-tech, gee-whiz, throwaway knives.  My knives will last the rest of my life, and then some...
        -Bob Korves

        Sent: Monday, March 25, 2013 2:01 PM
        Subject: Re: [mill_drill] Re: making the spouse happy

        AM, Corey Renner wrote:

        > > Pics?

        > --
        > Jerry Durand,
        Durand Interstellar, Inc. www.interstellar.com
        > tel: +1 408 356-3886, USA
        toll free: 1 866 356-3886
        > Skype: jerrydurand

      • philr_77378
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 25, 2013

          Bob,
          Like that wooden handle "Cooks Knife".  I have a stainless version from "Ecko" made in USA in the early - mid "70s".
          They call it a "French Cook", and it's still a favorite grab from my drawer after all these years.  The "French" version has a more triangler pointy tip than the knife in your link, but whats critical for both is the knuckle clearance and the constant curve of the blade, allowing complete contact with the cutting board as you roll the knife through the cut.  The pointy French version may have advantages when processing poultry.   Do wood handles still pass most inspections, if used in a city or county regulated kitchen?  It's been more than 20 years since I cooked in a restaurant, but I think I remember the health inspectors not liking wooden handles on the utensils since they were more prone to housing bacteria.  That must be why there are two versions on that site.  Thanks for the link.
          Phil R

          Sent: Monday, March 25, 2013 2:01 PM

          AM, Corey Renner wrote:

          > > Pics?