Big Red Cuck dont come out

  • Guenther P
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 25 12:25 PM
      How can i get the chuck out of the spindle ? Thers is no tang on the chuck arbor. The top of the chuck arbor is flush with the bottom of
      the slot in the spindle
      Thanks
    • Guenther Paul
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 25 12:35 PM
        Miss spell in the head line sorry

        GP

        How can i get the chuck out of the spindle ? Thers is no tang on the chuck arbor. The top of the chuck arbor is flush with the bottom of
        the slot in the spindle
        Thanks

      • Bill Armstrong
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 25 12:40 PM
          Been there.....
          I've used a ball bearing, or a piece of key-stock, or flatbar, sitting on the end of the arbor, and use a morse taper wedge like normal.

          Bill

          Sent from my iPad

          On Mar 25, 2013, at 12:25 PM, "Guenther P" <paulguenter@...> wrote:

          How can i get the chuck out of the spindle ? Thers is no tang on the chuck arbor. The top of the chuck arbor is flush with the bottom of
          the slot in the spindle
          Thanks

        • Barry Kneller
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 25 12:48 PM
            On 25/03/2013 19:35, Guenther Paul wrote:
            Miss spell in the head line sorry

            GP

            Could have been worse, co-- instead of cu-- ...........  :0)
          • FocusKnobs
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 25 12:57 PM

              Well, at least the misspelling had a “u”, and not an “o”. <g>

              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 25 1:43 PM
                I was in a hurry sorry. I did get the chuck  out of the arbor after all of this. The chuck arbor did not have a tang at all. It was taped out to a 10 mm x 1.5 thread. I guess i have to buy a tang stile arbor. I took a 1/4 piece of flat stock filed a knob on it the with of the tang and laid it on top of the arbor in the spindle. The drift wedge took it right out, i am all set.  I just bought big red about 4 weeks ago and have not messed with it.
                GP

                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 25 1:48 PM
                  Thanks Bill
                  I did about the same as you suggest except i used 1/4 flat stock
                  GP

                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 25 1:57 PM
                    I called Grizzly for some other parts and asked about the G0517 was told the that machine came with a 12 mm draw bar. The G0517 is the same as big red as far as i can tell , there is no way one could use a 12 mm draw bar on big red
                    Looking at a dimensional drawing of the spindle of G0517 it is just like big  red except its the Grizzly version

                    GP

                    Message 9 of 10 , Mar 25 4:23 PM
                      GP’
                         Get a short 10 mm x 1.5 bolt, a socket head would probably be ideal, if not get a Phillips head. Turn or file or grind the head to slightly smaller than the diameter of the small end of the arbor and screw it in the end. Now when the arbor is seated the bolt head will be protruding up into the slot and your wedge should work fine from now on.
                      Carl H

                      Sent: Monday, March 25, 2013 3:43 PM

                      Message 10 of 10 , Mar 25 4:32 PM
                        Thanks Carl
                        I was thinking the same way. A bolt is a lot cheaper as a new chuck arbor

                        Sent: Monday, March 25, 2013 3:43 PM