making the spouse happy

  • Jerry Durand
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 25 10:46 AM
      My wife asked if I could do anything to help with a prized Japanese
      kitchen knife that a relative used to pry open something...they broke
      about 1/2" off the tip of the knife. She said there wasn't a hurry but
      she couldn't use that knife with the tip broken like that.

      I took it out to the shop and with the belt sander re-shaped it to a
      point, checking with her as I went along so I got the shape she wanted.
      I then reground the edge and sharpened it with a series of diamond blocks.

      Spouse is MUCH happier now. I think the knife is also sharper than it
      has been in a long time. :)

      tel: +1 408 356-3886, USA toll free: 1 866 356-3886
      Skype: jerrydurand
    • Corey Renner

        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 25 11:00 AM
          Watch your back?

          On Mon, March 25, 2013 10:56 am, Corey Renner wrote:
          > Pics?
          >

          > c On Mar 25, 2013 10:46 AM, "Jerry Durand" <jdurand@...>
          > wrote:
          >

          >> **
          >>

          >> My wife asked if I could do anything to help with a prized Japanese
          >> kitchen knife that a relative used to pry open something...they broke
          >> about 1/2" off the tip of the knife. She said there wasn't a hurry but
          >> she couldn't use that knife with the tip broken like that.
          >>
          >> I took it out to the shop and with the belt sander re-shaped it to a
          >> point, checking with her as I went along so I got the shape she wanted. I
          >> then reground the edge and sharpened it with a series of diamond
          >> blocks.
          >>
          >> Spouse is MUCH happier now. I think the knife is also sharper than it
          >> has been in a long time. :)
          >>
          >> --
          >> Jerry Durand, Durand Interstellar, Inc. www.interstellar.com
          >> tel: +1 408 356-3886, USA toll free: 1 866 356-3886
          >> Skype: jerrydurand

        • Jerry Durand
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 25 11:02 AM
            Didn't take any, the knife is prized by her for functionality but isn't otherwise an award winner.  Messing with a good cook's knives would be like someone messing with your machine tools.

            She now makes sure that good knives (metal and ceramic) are not used by anyone but us.

            I wonder, will a green wheel grind a ceramic knife if I ever have to?  I assume the diamond blocks will sharpen one.

            On 03/25/2013 10:56 AM, Corey Renner wrote:

            Pics?

            tel: +1 408 356-3886, USA toll free: 1 866 356-3886
            Skype:  jerrydurand

          • Guenther Paul
            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 25 12:32 PM
              Jerry
              You said you ground the knife on a belt sander or maby a standard grinding wheel. That tells me the knife has a hardened carbon or it may be a hardened stainless blade. A green wheel would not work its only for carbide

              GP

              Didn't take any, the knife is prized by her for functionality but isn't otherwise an award winner.  Messing with a good cook's knives would be like someone messing with your machine tools.

              She now makes sure that good knives (metal and ceramic) are not used by anyone but us.

              I wonder, will a green wheel grind a ceramic knife if I ever have to?  I assume the diamond blocks will sharpen one.

              On 03/25/2013 10:56 AM, Corey Renner wrote:

              Pics?

              --   Jerry Durand, Durand Interstellar, Inc.  www.interstellar.com  tel: +1 408 356-3886, USA toll free: 1 866 356-3886  Skype:  jerrydurand
            • Jerry Durand
              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 25 12:34 PM
                On 03/25/2013 12:32 PM, Guenther Paul wrote:
                Jerry
                You said you ground the knife on a belt sander or maby a standard grinding wheel. That tells me the knife has a hardened carbon or it may be a hardened stainless blade. A green wheel would not work its only for carbide

                GP

                The knife I repaired is carbon steel.  But she has ceramic knives that are bound to need tending to at some point.  I was asking if a green wheel will grind ceramic.

                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 25 12:36 PM
                  Jerry
                  Ceramic maby but a diamond wheel would be better

                  GP

                  Message 8 of 12 , Mar 25 12:40 PM
                    Jerry
                    If you can use water with grinding ceramic  that would be best

                    GP

                    Message 9 of 12 , Mar 25 1:56 PM
                      Jerry,

                      The only method I have found to touch up the edge on a ceramic knife is with a series of progressively finer diamond plates. Even then, the edge is time consuming to sharpen. You would think that something that sharp would never loose its edge, just like the guarantee tells us. But, they do after a lot of usage.

                      Paul

                      --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, Jerry Durand <jdurand@...> wrote:

                      > Didn't take any, the knife is prized by her for functionality but isn't
                      > otherwise an award winner. Messing with a good cook's knives would be
                      > like someone messing with your machine tools.
                      >
                      > She now makes sure that good knives (metal and ceramic) are not used by
                      > anyone but us.
                      >
                      > I wonder, will a green wheel grind a ceramic knife if I ever have to? I
                      > assume the diamond blocks will sharpen one.
                      >
                      > On 03/25/2013 10:56 AM, Corey Renner wrote:
                      > >

                      > > Pics?

                      > --
                      > Jerry Durand, Durand Interstellar, Inc. www.interstellar.com
                      > tel: +1 408 356-3886, USA toll free: 1 866 356-3886
                      > Skype: jerrydurand

                    • Guenther Paul
                      Message 10 of 12 , Mar 25 2:01 PM
                        Paul
                        The fact is professional chefs like to use carbon steel blade knifes and they start at $ 500.00 and up each

                        GP

                        The only method I have found to touch up the edge on a ceramic knife is with a series of progressively finer diamond plates. Even then, the edge is time consuming to sharpen. You would think that something that sharp would never loose its edge, just like the guarantee tells us. But, they do after a lot of usage.

                        Paul

                        --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, Jerry Durand <jdurand@...> wrote:

                        > Didn't take any, the knife is prized by her for functionality but isn't
                        > otherwise an award winner. Messing with a good cook's knives would be
                        > like someone messing with your machine tools.
                        >
                        > She now makes sure that good knives (metal and ceramic) are not used by
                        > anyone but us.
                        >
                        > I wonder, will a green wheel grind a ceramic knife if I ever have to? I
                        > assume the diamond blocks will sharpen one.
                        >
                        > On 03/25/2013 10:56 AM, Corey Renner wrote:
                        > >

                        > > Pics?

                        > --
                        > Jerry Durand, Durand Interstellar, Inc. www.interstellar.com
                        > tel: +1 408 356-3886, USA toll free: 1 866 356-3886
                        > Skype: jerrydurand

                      • Bob Korves
                        Message 11 of 12 , Mar 25 9:00 PM
                          I have been a professional chef and some of us like carbon steel knives while others prefer stainless high carbon steel knives.  I have both types.  Carbon steel knives with wood handles require more care, but any artist and craftsman tends to take good care of his tools.  I am sure you all understand that concept.

                          Excellent knives do not need to be expensive.

                          This fine American company:

                          Makes knives like these:
                          Check the prices.  I prefer these knives to the big name German cutlery makers’ products, which I also have.  Also note that these are prices from the manufacturer on their web site.  These knives can be purchased for less, much less, at your local restaurant supply or discount internet store...

                          I have no use for ceramic or other high-tech, gee-whiz, throwaway knives.  My knives will last the rest of my life, and then some...
                          -Bob Korves

                          Sent: Monday, March 25, 2013 2:01 PM
                          Subject: Re: [mill_drill] Re: making the spouse happy

                          AM, Corey Renner wrote:

                          > > Pics?

                          > --
                          > Jerry Durand,
                          Durand Interstellar, Inc. www.interstellar.com
                          > tel: +1 408 356-3886, USA
                          toll free: 1 866 356-3886
                          > Skype: jerrydurand

                        • philr_77378
                          Message 12 of 12 , Mar 25 10:02 PM

                            Bob,
                            Like that wooden handle "Cooks Knife".  I have a stainless version from "Ecko" made in USA in the early - mid "70s".
                            They call it a "French Cook", and it's still a favorite grab from my drawer after all these years.  The "French" version has a more triangler pointy tip than the knife in your link, but whats critical for both is the knuckle clearance and the constant curve of the blade, allowing complete contact with the cutting board as you roll the knife through the cut.  The pointy French version may have advantages when processing poultry.   Do wood handles still pass most inspections, if used in a city or county regulated kitchen?  It's been more than 20 years since I cooked in a restaurant, but I think I remember the health inspectors not liking wooden handles on the utensils since they were more prone to housing bacteria.  That must be why there are two versions on that site.  Thanks for the link.
                            Phil R

                            Sent: Monday, March 25, 2013 2:01 PM

                            AM, Corey Renner wrote:

                            > > Pics?