Re: [mill_drill] New Y leadscrew nut for rf clone

  • Druid Noibn
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 17, 2013
      Hi Curt,

      Well-stated and the impetus is well-recognized.

      Be well,
      DBN

      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 20, 2013
        I have just finished making a replacement X axis nut for someone else's machine. Their old brass nut was wearing and causing increasing backlash, the backlash elimination method of closing the gap wears the thread away quickly on the short length that is bent to close the clearance down. The nut is cast iron which is what my brass one was replaced with after the threads on my old brass one ended up shearing having become paper thin in parts. The thread is M24 x 3 trapezoidal and was cut with a home made HSS tool. Started cutting raw material on Friday evening, about 8 hours Saturday then finished the item with 2 hours of work on Sunday. I have put a photo in the files in a folder called 33686 "X" nut that was started by someone else with just one photo in it.

        Martin
      • Druid Noibn
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 20, 2013
          Hi Martin,

          That sounds like a project of love...

          There is one trait a good machinist must have - patience.

          Be well,
          DBN

          I have just finished making a replacement X axis nut for someone else's machine. Their old brass nut was wearing and causing increasing backlash, the backlash elimination method of closing the gap wears the thread away quickly on the short length that is bent to close the clearance down. The nut is cast iron which is what my brass one was replaced with after the threads on my old brass one ended up shearing having become paper thin in parts. The thread is M24 x 3 trapezoidal and was cut with a home made HSS tool. Started cutting raw material on Friday evening, about 8 hours Saturday then finished the item with 2 hours of work on Sunday. I have put a photo in the files in a folder called 33686 "X" nut that was started by someone else with just one photo in it.

          Martin

        • Guenther Paul
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 20, 2013
            Martin
            Did you consider a ball screw and nut

            GP

            I have just finished making a replacement X axis nut for someone else's machine. Their old brass nut was wearing and causing increasing backlash, the backlash elimination method of closing the gap wears the thread away quickly on the short length that is bent to close the clearance down. The nut is cast iron which is what my brass one was replaced with after the threads on my old brass one ended up shearing having become paper thin in parts. The thread is M24 x 3 trapezoidal and was cut with a home made HSS tool. Started cutting raw material on Friday evening, about 8 hours Saturday then finished the item with 2 hours of work on Sunday. I have put a photo in the files in a folder called 33686 "X" nut that was started by someone else with just one photo in it.

            Martin

          • leasingham_connelly
            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 21, 2013
              I have replaced my leadscrews with ballscrews and nuts some time after I replaced the x axis nut on my machine. The work involved and the cost was higher than that required to make a new nut from spare cast iron stock for the other machine. My old nut is 10 TPI so could not be used for the metric leadscrew and my old leadscrew was not a direct replacement since it is about 3" shorter than the metric one. I didn't bother trying to find out if the bearings were the same bore but thought they would be different, one in mm one in inches. The new nut was the cheapest and quickest option to get the backlash back to an acceptable point.

              Martin

              --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, Guenther Paul <paulguenter@...> wrote:

              > Martin
              > Did you consider a ball screw and nut
              >  GP

            • Guenther Paul
              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 21, 2013
                Martin
                I have a big red mill/drill i bought cheap a few weeks ago, it was hardly used. So far all the screws are fine but i want to convert the wanna be mill to a CNC some time soon. I was planning to make the ball screws. McMaster Carr has all the materials.
                I am now in the process to make a quill fine down feed witch the machine never had
                GP