Re: [mill_drill] Re: Phase II quick change boring bar holder?

  • Arthur Marks
    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 16, 2013
      Does this help? http://bedair.org/Topslide/Topslide1.html
      Looks like you could file the key down until it fits in the exposed
      portion of the slot. He mentions facing the graduated ring... you
      could probably also shorted the thickness of the overall handle a
      little to fit. Then use a thin nut? -Arthur

      On Sat, Mar 16, 2013 at 7:30 PM, <olds7d442@...> wrote:
      > I made the piece, but the threaded rod from the topslide is too short
      > where the handle bolts on and the bearing blocks off part of the slot for
      > the key way. What did I do wrong?
    • olds7d442
      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 17, 2013
        Arthur,

        My intentions were to cut down the key way to make it work, but I would have to turn down the dial too much to get a nut on. I was also thinking about boring the hole in the dial deeper so more of the threads would be exposed to get the nut on. If I knew how to turn threads I would make a new shaft. Some pics to better explain.
        [IMG]http://imageshack.us/a/img545/1194/dsc03237c.jpg%5b/IMG]
        [IMG]http://imageshack.us/a/img834/6282/dsc03238m.jpg%5b/IMG]

        Thanks,

        Frank

        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 17, 2013
          I just realized I am in the wrong group, sending it over to 9x20 Lathes. Sorry guys.

          Message 4 of 16 , Mar 17, 2013
            Haha - that's alright. I suspect there are a number of members here
            that started as I (we?) did:
            First mill - mill/drill
            First lathe - 9x20

            :) Arthur