RE: [mill_drill] Re: Boring head?

  • Bill Armstrong
    Message 1 of 31 , Mar 15, 2013
      My bifocals like more graduations..... it's a lot easier for me.

      My lathe has non direct dials....not much matter anymore. I installed a DRO years ago.

      :)

      To: mill_drill@yahoogroups.com
      From: gefuller5@...
      Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2013 17:22:59 +0000
      Subject: [mill_drill] Re: Boring head?

      Direct reading might be *slightly* more convenient mentally, but there is no change in precision. The adjustment thread is still 20 TPI. The screw head is simply marked in 100 steps rather than 50.

      I have no trouble at all in splitting the marks on my non-direct reading boring head.

      But then I am using an old SB lathe with non-direct dials as well.

      Gene

      --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, Bill Armstrong <bill_1955@...> wrote:

      > I would bet the Harbor Freight boring head IS NOT direct reading. ie; .001 on the dial is .001" on the diameter. Non direct reading means .001 movement on the dial is .001" on the radius.
      > Many of the made in China boring heads are not direct reading. Makes it a pain to stay precise. Depends on how close of tolerance you want I suppose.
      >
      > I think the Shars (Discount Machine) eBay propaganda has a typo too. .0001".....No..... How about .001"
      >
      > I have an Enco, direct reading. I like it.
      > I also have a Grizzly, non direct reading....that gathers a lot of dust.
      >
      > Bill

    • Bill Armstrong
      Message 31 of 31 , Mar 15, 2013

        To: mill_drill@yahoogroups.com