Re: [mill_drill] Boring head?

  • Corey Renner
    Message 1 of 31 , Mar 14, 2013
      I have a 2" and a 3" boring head.  I probably use the 2" one 70% of the time, but if I could only own one it would be the 3".  The 3" can do anything the 2" can, but not the other way around.

      Phase II is generally some of the better quality Chinese stuff.  Sometimes the cheaper stuff (Shar's, HF, etc.) is identical to the Phase II, sometimes it's worse, but generally it won't be better.  For a $5 or $10 difference, Phase II is a no-brainer to me.  When the price difference gets bigger, I do more investigating.

      cheers,

      On Thu, Mar 14, 2013 at 6:28 PM, Bill Armstrong <bill_1955@...> wrote:

      I don't think they are the same in quality.
    • Bill Armstrong
      Message 31 of 31 , Mar 15, 2013
        My bifocals like more graduations..... it's a lot easier for me.

        My lathe has non direct dials....not much matter anymore. I installed a DRO years ago.

        :)

        To: mill_drill@yahoogroups.com
        From: gefuller5@...
        Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2013 17:22:59 +0000
        Subject: [mill_drill] Re: Boring head?

        Direct reading might be *slightly* more convenient mentally, but there is no change in precision. The adjustment thread is still 20 TPI. The screw head is simply marked in 100 steps rather than 50.

        I have no trouble at all in splitting the marks on my non-direct reading boring head.

        But then I am using an old SB lathe with non-direct dials as well.

        Gene