RE: [mill_drill] Boring head?

  • Bill Armstrong
    Message 1 of 31 , Mar 14, 2013
      I would bet the Harbor Freight boring head IS NOT direct reading. ie; .001 on the dial is .001" on the diameter. Non direct reading means .001 movement on the dial is .001" on the radius.
      Many of the made in China boring heads are not direct reading. Makes it a pain to stay precise. Depends on how close of tolerance you want I suppose.

      I think the Shars (Discount Machine) eBay propaganda has a typo too. .0001".....No..... How about .001"

      I have an Enco, direct reading. I like it.
      I also have a Grizzly, non direct reading....that gathers a lot of dust.

      Bill

      To: mill_drill@yahoogroups.com
      From: mwaynebennett@...
      Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2013 17:51:01 -0700
      Subject: RE: [mill_drill] Boring head?

      If you live near a HF then I would suggest getting it there and pay the tax... unless you plan on going to Portland any time soon. Making returns to HF may be easier than dealing with a faceless stranger 3000 miles away. If you learn that one is significantly better than another, I would get the better make regardless of price.

      Mark

      To: mill_drill@yahoogroups.com
      From: olds7d442@...
      Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2013 00:01:01 +0000
      Subject: [mill_drill] Boring head?

      Looking to buy a boring head for my Harborfreight mill/drill (33686). I saw this one on ebay
      http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-R8-ADJUSTABLE-BORING-HEAD-BRIDGEPORT-MILLING-NEW-/350502177639?pt=BI_Tool_Work_Holding&hash=item519b8ecb67

      Is it any good? How about the one from harborfreight?

      http://www.harborfreight.com/2-inch-boring-bar-head-33562.html

      Thanks,

      Frank

    • Bill Armstrong
      Message 31 of 31 , Mar 15, 2013
        My bifocals like more graduations..... it's a lot easier for me.

        My lathe has non direct dials....not much matter anymore. I installed a DRO years ago.

        :)

        To: mill_drill@yahoogroups.com
        From: gefuller5@...
        Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2013 17:22:59 +0000
        Subject: [mill_drill] Re: Boring head?

        Direct reading might be *slightly* more convenient mentally, but there is no change in precision. The adjustment thread is still 20 TPI. The screw head is simply marked in 100 steps rather than 50.

        I have no trouble at all in splitting the marks on my non-direct reading boring head.

        But then I am using an old SB lathe with non-direct dials as well.

        Gene