RE: [mill_drill] Boring head?

  • Mark Bennett
    Message 1 of 31 , Mar 14, 2013
      If you live near a HF then I would suggest getting it there and pay the tax... unless you plan on going to Portland any time soon. Making returns to HF may be easier than dealing with a faceless stranger 3000 miles away. If you learn that one is significantly better than another, I would get the better make regardless of price.

      Mark

      To: mill_drill@yahoogroups.com
      From: olds7d442@...
      Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2013 00:01:01 +0000
      Subject: [mill_drill] Boring head?

      Looking to buy a boring head for my Harborfreight mill/drill (33686). I saw this one on ebay
      http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-R8-ADJUSTABLE-BORING-HEAD-BRIDGEPORT-MILLING-NEW-/350502177639?pt=BI_Tool_Work_Holding&hash=item519b8ecb67

      Is it any good? How about the one from harborfreight?

      http://www.harborfreight.com/2-inch-boring-bar-head-33562.html

      Thanks,

      Frank

    • Bill Armstrong
      Message 31 of 31 , Mar 15, 2013
        My bifocals like more graduations..... it's a lot easier for me.

        My lathe has non direct dials....not much matter anymore. I installed a DRO years ago.

        :)

        To: mill_drill@yahoogroups.com
        From: gefuller5@...
        Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2013 17:22:59 +0000
        Subject: [mill_drill] Re: Boring head?

        Direct reading might be *slightly* more convenient mentally, but there is no change in precision. The adjustment thread is still 20 TPI. The screw head is simply marked in 100 steps rather than 50.

        I have no trouble at all in splitting the marks on my non-direct reading boring head.

        But then I am using an old SB lathe with non-direct dials as well.

        Gene