Spindle lock wrench

  • olds7d442
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 13, 2013
      Thought I would share the wrench I just made to lock the spindle while tightening and loosening the draw bar. It was very easy to make and I'm sure there are other ways of doing this, but this way was the easiest for me. I took a 1" piece of black pipe(not sure what size pipe it was) and bored it out to just fit over the top of the spindle. I marked it in two locations and then drilled and tapped it for 1/4x20" screws. I welded a 8" piece of 1/2" black pipe to it(slightly on an angle to keep away from the pulleys, but probably not necessary) for a handle. I put some loctite on the set screws, snugged them down against the flats on the spindle spline and then backed them both out a hair, this way I could take the wrench on and off without having to touch the set screws. I may change out the set screws to brass, but I don't think it is really necessary.

      Here are some pics:
      [IMG]http://imageshack.us/a/img841/7136/dsc03212f.jpg%5b/IMG]
      [IMG]http://imageshack.us/a/img707/8599/dsc03214ui.jpg%5b/IMG]
      [IMG]http://imageshack.us/a/img202/8372/dsc03215fo.jpg%5b/IMG]
      [IMG]http://imageshack.us/a/img202/3515/dsc03219dy.jpg%5b/IMG]
      [IMG]http://imageshack.us/a/img12/83/dsc03222g.jpg%5b/IMG]
    • Druid Noibn
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 13, 2013
        Hi,

        A nice simple and creative approach - thanks.

        A question/concern - might the use of round, threaded & hardened material (the set screws) put dings in the spline?  The thought here would be to use a larger diameter and a bit longer screw and grind a couple of flats on both sides.  They need to be glued in-place after aligning.

        Hmmmm....no longer simple.....<smile>

        Thanks for the ideas.

        Be well,
        DBN

        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 13, 2013
          The wrench is a excellent idea. I would be concerned as well of the damage the set screws could do to the spindle spline.
          I would just simply make a collar lay out the spline and hand file the male spline and slowly fit it to the spindle.I you have access to a slotting head and a full size knee mill that would be the way to make the wrench and ho knows some members here may be interested to buy that wrench.

          GP

          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 13, 2013
            Great tool and thanks for sharing. I would use brass setscrews, two for each spline all the way around. That would distribute the force adequitely in my mind to avoid damage as not that much force is being used

            Rick R

            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 13, 2013
              Looks good, nice job.  Here’s a link to one I bought a while back on eBay, they are still available.

              Carl H

              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 13, 2013
                If I had known that they had such a wrench, I would of just bought one. Thanks for the link, may just have to purchase one.

                Message 7 of 11 , Mar 13, 2013
                  Now where's the challenge and satisfaction in that? Someday your grandkids will say "grandpa made this wrench!"

                  Rick R

                  Message 8 of 11 , Mar 13, 2013
                    Hi,

                    I have one of those wrenches - works well. Yes, I didn't have the fun of making it - I did work on other things.....

                    Take care,
                    DBN

                    If I had known that they had such a wrench, I would of just bought one. Thanks for the link, may just have to purchase one.

                    --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "Carl Hollopeter" <chollo@...> wrote:

                    > Looks good, nice job. Here’s a link to one I bought a while back on eBay, they are still available.
                    > http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-COLLET-DRAWBAR-SPINDLE-WRENCH-BENCH-MILLING-MACHINE/281067678479?ssPageName=WDVW&rd=1&ih=018&category=104242&cmd=ViewItem
                    >
                    > Carl H

                  • Curt Wuollet
                    Message 9 of 11 , Mar 13, 2013
                      Or one day your grandkids will say: Call the junk
                      man and let's get rid of all that rusty crap in the
                      basement :^).

                      Regards

                      cww

                      RedfieldRH@... wrote:

                      > Now where's the challenge and satisfaction in that? Someday your
                      > grandkids will say "grandpa made this wrench!"
                      >
                      > Rick R

                    • Dennis
                      Message 10 of 11 , Mar 13, 2013
                        I have posted a PDF of the spindle wrench I made for my Enco RF-45 clone in the files section under "spindle Wrench". It has been worked well for five years now with no appreciable wear. By using aluminum it eliminates the chance of damaging the splines.

                        Enjoy,
                        Dennis

                        Message 11 of 11 , Mar 14, 2013

                          Now, now...the little ones are only a little confused because they can't find the remote control or iPod connection.

                          RedfieldRH@... wrote:

                          > Now where's the challenge and satisfaction in that? Someday your
                          > grandkids will say "grandpa made this wrench!"
                          >
                          > Rick R

                          <*> Your email settings:
                              Individual Email | Traditional

                          <*> To change settings online go to: