HF Mill/Drill on Ebay

  • joeyfredrick@ymail.com
    Message 1 of 22 , Mar 8, 2013
    • Druid Noibn
      Message 2 of 22 , Mar 8, 2013
        Hi,

        The unit looks to be new - that's good news.  As for the price - always a tad difficult.

        New from HF - $1,200.  Now add shipping $97.  BUT (always one of those) - it can be bought at most stores (shipping????) AND...you can always get a 20% off coupon.  So you have a NEW unit with warranty for $960 if you pick it up...plus tax if it applies.  The shipping of the eBay item is a tad high (for me it's noted as $200) - but most of us don't have industry accounts and large volumes to average costs.

        As for the extras - all I see is a collet set - maybe $50.

        So - you need to determine how the numbers apply to you and your location.  Is an HF store near you?  Is this eBay seller near you?  Is there an alternate system (craigs list), local paper....  In any event - don't go too high.

        Be well,
        DBN

        Message 3 of 22 , Mar 8, 2013
          I have the metric version of that machine. I got it for $500 new from
          Homier. It cost $170 to ship it.
          But, that was a while ago and the trend has been up for chinese
          machinery. You could wait and probably do better on a used machine
          locally. I wouldn't go much higher than $650 and that's if you really
          need it now. And you don't know that it will be properly crated and
          handled. I'm a little soft on the wait for a bargain route because I
          waited for a Bridgeport for years and the mill that I've got is
          infinitely more productive than all those I wish I had. And if that once
          in a lifetime bargain did come up, it would almost certainly come up
          when I couldn't possibly come up with the cash. And I would consider
          carefully that once it's at your house, in perfect condition or
          otherwise, its a real job to send it back and even HF has a return policy.

          Regards

          cww

          Druid Noibn wrote:

          > Hi,
          > The unit looks to be new - that's good news. As for the price - always
          > a tad difficult.
          > New from HF - $1,200. Now add shipping $97. BUT (always one of those)
          > - it can be bought at most stores (shipping????) AND...you can always
          > get a 20% off coupon. So you have a NEW unit with warranty for $960 if
          > you pick it up...plus tax if it applies. The shipping of the eBay item
          > is a tad high (for me it's noted as $200) - but most of us don't have
          > industry accounts and large volumes to average costs.
          > As for the extras - all I see is a collet set - maybe $50.
          > So - you need to determine how the numbers apply to you and your
          > location. Is an HF store near you? Is this eBay seller near you? Is
          > there an alternate system (craigs list), local paper.... In any event
          > - don't go too high.
          > Be well,
          > DBN
          >

          > --- On *Fri, 3/8/13, joeyfredrick@...
          > /<joeyfredrick@...>/* wrote:
          >

          > From: joeyfredrick@... <joeyfredrick@...>
          > Subject: [mill_drill] HF Mill/Drill on Ebay
          > To: mill_drill@yahoogroups.com
          > Date: Friday, March 8, 2013, 9:43 PM
          >
          > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=151008994348#ht_1348wt_1398
          > <http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=151008994348#ht_1348wt_1398>
          >
          > In good shape. What do you think it's worth?

        • Corey Renner
          Message 4 of 22 , Mar 8, 2013

            Probably about $800 max, you used to be able to buy it for $650 with a coupon.

            Druid Noibn wrote:

            > Hi,
            > The unit looks to be new - that's good news. As for the price - always
            > a tad difficult.
            > New from HF - $1,200. Now add shipping $97. BUT (always one of those)
            > - it can be bought at most stores (shipping????) AND...you can always
            > get a 20% off coupon. So you have a NEW unit with warranty for $960 if
            > you pick it up...plus tax if it applies. The shipping of the eBay item
            > is a tad high (for me it's noted as $200) - but most of us don't have
            > industry accounts and large volumes to average costs.
            > As for the extras - all I see is a collet set - maybe $50.
            > So - you need to determine how the numbers apply to you and your
            > location. Is an HF store near you? Is this eBay seller near you? Is
            > there an alternate system (craigs list), local paper.... In any event
            > - don't go too high.
            > Be well,
            > DBN
            >

            > --- On *Fri, 3/8/13, joeyfredrick@...
            > /<joeyfredrick@...>/* wrote:
            >

            >     From: joeyfredrick@... <joeyfredrick@...>
            >     Subject: [mill_drill] HF Mill/Drill on Ebay
            >     To: mill_drill@yahoogroups.com
            >     Date: Friday, March 8, 2013, 9:43 PM
            >
            >     http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=151008994348#ht_1348wt_1398
            >     <http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=151008994348#ht_1348wt_1398>
            >
            >     In good shape. What do you think it's worth?

            <*> Your email settings:
                Individual Email | Traditional

            <*> To change settings online go to:
                (Yahoo! ID required)

            <*> To change settings via email:
                mill_drill-digest@yahoogroups.com
                mill_drill-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • joeyfredrick@ymail.com
            Message 5 of 22 , Mar 8, 2013
              $650 back then eh? I wonder what gas cost back then :)
              As long as the ways and table are true (which it looks like from the video) I can tram it with shims and make it every bit as accurate as I could possibly hope for right? I expect these can be very nice machines when fine tuned and taken care of.

              --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, Corey Renner <vandal968@...> wrote:

              > Probably about $800 max, you used to be able to buy it for $650 with a
              > coupon.
              > On Mar 8, 2013 10:05 PM, "Curt Wuollet" <wideopen1@...> wrote:
              >
              > > I have the metric version of that machine. I got it for $500 new from
              > > Homier. It cost $170 to ship it.
              > > But, that was a while ago and the trend has been up for chinese
              > > machinery. You could wait and probably do better on a used machine
              > > locally. I wouldn't go much higher than $650 and that's if you really
              > > need it now. And you don't know that it will be properly crated and
              > > handled. I'm a little soft on the wait for a bargain route because I
              > > waited for a Bridgeport for years and the mill that I've got is
              > > infinitely more productive than all those I wish I had. And if that once
              > > in a lifetime bargain did come up, it would almost certainly come up
              > > when I couldn't possibly come up with the cash. And I would consider
              > > carefully that once it's at your house, in perfect condition or
              > > otherwise, its a real job to send it back and even HF has a return policy.
              > >
              > > Regards
              > >
              > > cww
              > >

              > > Druid Noibn wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Hi,
              > > > The unit looks to be new - that's good news. As for the price - always
              > > > a tad difficult.
              > > > New from HF - $1,200. Now add shipping $97. BUT (always one of those)
              > > > - it can be bought at most stores (shipping????) AND...you can always
              > > > get a 20% off coupon. So you have a NEW unit with warranty for $960 if
              > > > you pick it up...plus tax if it applies. The shipping of the eBay item
              > > > is a tad high (for me it's noted as $200) - but most of us don't have
              > > > industry accounts and large volumes to average costs.
              > > > As for the extras - all I see is a collet set - maybe $50.
              > > > So - you need to determine how the numbers apply to you and your
              > > > location. Is an HF store near you? Is this eBay seller near you? Is
              > > > there an alternate system (craigs list), local paper.... In any event
              > > > - don't go too high.
              > > > Be well,
              > > > DBN
              > > >

              > > > --- On *Fri, 3/8/13, joeyfredrick@...
              > > > /<joeyfredrick@...>/* wrote:
              > > >

              > > > From: joeyfredrick@... <joeyfredrick@...>
              > > > Subject: [mill_drill] HF Mill/Drill on Ebay
              > > > To: mill_drill@yahoogroups.com
              > > > Date: Friday, March 8, 2013, 9:43 PM
              > > >

              > > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=151008994348#ht_1348wt_1398
              > > > <
              > > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=151008994348#ht_1348wt_1398
              > > >

              > > > In good shape. What do you think it's worth?

            • Curt Wuollet
              Message 6 of 22 , Mar 8, 2013
                You got me wondering so I checked, that was September of 2007, I don't
                know what gas
                was selling for, but $500 was a good price even then. As I recall HF was
                at about $800.
                I'm glad I bought the lathe and mill then, if I'd waited I could never
                afford them. Homier
                has never carried that model since. Grizzly still does but they want big
                bucks.

                Regards

                cww

                joeyfredrick@... wrote:

                > $650 back then eh? I wonder what gas cost back then :)
                > As long as the ways and table are true (which it looks like from the
                > video) I can tram it with shims and make it every bit as accurate as I
                > could possibly hope for right? I expect these can be very nice
                > machines when fine tuned and taken care of.
                >
                > --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com
                > <mailto:mill_drill%40yahoogroups.com>, Corey Renner <vandal968@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > Probably about $800 max, you used to be able to buy it for $650 with a
                > > coupon.
                > > On Mar 8, 2013 10:05 PM, "Curt Wuollet" <wideopen1@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > > I have the metric version of that machine. I got it for $500 new from
                > > > Homier. It cost $170 to ship it.
                > > > But, that was a while ago and the trend has been up for chinese
                > > > machinery. You could wait and probably do better on a used machine
                > > > locally. I wouldn't go much higher than $650 and that's if you really
                > > > need it now. And you don't know that it will be properly crated and
                > > > handled. I'm a little soft on the wait for a bargain route because I
                > > > waited for a Bridgeport for years and the mill that I've got is
                > > > infinitely more productive than all those I wish I had. And if
                > that once
                > > > in a lifetime bargain did come up, it would almost certainly come up
                > > > when I couldn't possibly come up with the cash. And I would consider
                > > > carefully that once it's at your house, in perfect condition or
                > > > otherwise, its a real job to send it back and even HF has a return
                > policy.
                > > >
                > > > Regards
                > > >
                > > > cww

                > always
                > those)
                > always
                > $960 if
                > eBay item
                > have
                > event

                > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=151008994348#ht_1348wt_1398
                > <http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=151008994348#ht_1348wt_1398>
                > > >
                > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=151008994348#ht_1348wt_1398
                > <http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=151008994348#ht_1348wt_1398>

              • Dana Hague
                Message 7 of 22 , Mar 9, 2013
                  At 09:43 PM 3/8/2013, joeyfredrick@... wrote:

                  http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=151008994348#ht_1348wt_1398

                  In good shape. What do you think it's worth?

                  I would say the buy it now price is too much, the starting bid of $500 is not unreasonable, maybe.  FWIW, I paid $700 for a a 1986 vintage Jet mill (same thing, though most say the older Taiwan Jets were better quality than the new Chinese HFs) with a bit more tooling than there, a floor stand, and a cabinet for the tooling.  Cosmetically the one on ebay looks better than mine but I found mine at a flea market so I was able to inspect it before buying.

                  --
                  "If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy." James Madison, while a United States Congressman
                • Guenther Paul
                  Message 8 of 22 , Mar 9, 2013
                    The final price on the machine depends of what one is willing to pay.I bought a machine for what i was willing to give and the seller took my offer. Just watch the listing and see what happens

                    GP

                    $650 back then eh? I wonder what gas cost back then :)
                    As long as the ways and table are true (which it looks like from the video) I can tram it with shims and make it every bit as accurate as I could possibly hope for right? I expect these can be very nice machines when fine tuned and taken care of.

                    --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, Corey Renner <vandal968@...> wrote:

                    > Probably about $800 max, you used to be able to buy it for $650 with a
                    > coupon.
                    > On Mar 8, 2013 10:05 PM, "Curt Wuollet" <wideopen1@...> wrote:
                    >
                    > > I have the metric version of that machine. I got it for $500 new from
                    > > Homier. It cost $170 to ship it.
                    > > But, that was a while ago and the trend has been up for chinese
                    > > machinery. You could wait and probably do better on a used machine
                    > > locally. I wouldn't go much higher than $650 and that's if you really
                    > > need it now. And you don't know that it will be properly crated and
                    > > handled. I'm a little soft on the wait for a bargain route because I
                    > > waited for a Bridgeport for years and the mill that I've got is
                    > > infinitely more productive than all those I wish I had. And if that once
                    > > in a lifetime bargain did come up, it would almost certainly come up
                    > > when I couldn't possibly come up with the cash. And I would consider
                    > > carefully that once it's at your house, in perfect condition or
                    > > otherwise, its a real job to send it back and even HF has a return policy.
                    > >
                    > > Regards
                    > >
                    > > cww
                    > >

                    > > Druid Noibn wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > Hi,
                    > > > The unit looks to be new - that's good news. As for the price - always
                    > > > a tad difficult.
                    > > > New from HF - $1,200. Now add shipping $97. BUT (always one of those)
                    > > > - it can be bought at most stores (shipping????) AND...you can always
                    > > > get a 20% off coupon. So you have a NEW unit with warranty for $960 if
                    > > > you pick it up...plus tax if it applies. The shipping of the eBay item
                    > > > is a tad high (for me it's noted as $200) - but most of us don't have
                    > > > industry accounts and large volumes to average costs.
                    > > > As for the extras - all I see is a collet set - maybe $50.
                    > > > So - you need to determine how the numbers apply to you and your
                    > > > location. Is an HF store near you? Is this eBay seller near you? Is
                    > > > there an alternate system (craigs list), local paper.... In any event
                    > > > - don't go too high.
                    > > > Be well,
                    > > > DBN
                    > > >

                    > > > --- On *Fri, 3/8/13, joeyfredrick@...
                    > > > /<joeyfredrick@...>/* wrote:
                    > > >

                    > > > From: joeyfredrick@... <joeyfredrick@...>
                    > > > Subject: [mill_drill] HF Mill/Drill on Ebay
                    > > > To: mill_drill@yahoogroups.com
                    > > > Date: Friday, March 8, 2013, 9:43 PM
                    > > >

                    > > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=151008994348#ht_1348wt_1398
                    > > > <
                    > > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=151008994348#ht_1348wt_1398
                    > > >

                    > > > In good shape. What do you think it's worth?

                  • mlsmith201
                    Message 9 of 22 , Mar 9, 2013

                      On sale new for 1200 with the extra tooling.

> [...]

                      > > > As for the extras - all I see is a collet set - maybe $50.
                      > > > So - you need to determine how the numbers apply to you and your
                      > > > location. Is an HF store near you? Is this eBay seller near you? Is
                      > > > there an alternate system (craigs list), local paper.... In any event
                      > > > - don't go too high.
                      > > > Be well,
                      > > > DBN
                      > > >

                      > > > --- On *Fri, 3/8/13, joeyfredrick@...
                      > > > /<joeyfredrick@...>/* wrote:
                      > > >

                      > > > From: joeyfredrick@... <joeyfredrick@...>
                      > > > Subject: [mill_drill] HF Mill/Drill on Ebay
                      > > > To: mill_drill@yahoogroups.com
                      > > > Date: Friday, March 8, 2013, 9:43 PM
                      > > >

                      > > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=151008994348#ht_1348wt_1398
                      > > > <
                      > > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=151008994348#ht_1348wt_1398
                      > > >

                      > > > In good shape. What do you think it's worth?

                    • philr_77378
                      Message 10 of 22 , Mar 9, 2013
                        Not sure about your location, but we have a 25% off coupon circulating around here now(Houston TX area). So (1200 - 300) + 97 = $997. (+tax maybe) to your door for a new machine with warranty. So now the bidding is at 500+ ??? + 200 shipping for $700+. Not sure what the collets are worth, but I would not get into much of a bidding war over it.

                        Message 11 of 22 , Mar 9, 2013
                          Last I checked you couldn't use those coupons on the big ticket machines but I could be wrong. But I don't have one anyways.

                          I got details on the extra stuff from the seller. It's a $102 South Bend collet set, another $50 HF collet holder and $50 HF 4 collet set, a $32 chuck and $19 chuck arbor and a priceless wrench :)
                          So about $250 worth of extra stuff. For $500 I think it's a steal, but I'd probably buy it outright for $1000 if I lived close enough to pick it up and not have to pay the extra $200 freight. He's offering to hoist it into your vehicle.

                          Message 12 of 22 , Mar 9, 2013
                            The collets don't worry about them. On e-bay a set of R8 starting at 3/32- 3/4 by 1/32 sold for about $32.00
                            there was also a drill chuck with a R8 arbor. I know the collets with the mill/drill are not R8
                            so collets  can be bought quite reasonable

                            GP

                            Message 13 of 22 , Mar 9, 2013
                              HF does not have coupons on machines now. You may have access to a coupon that i don't
                              I am in SW Mi

                              GP

                              Message 14 of 22 , Mar 9, 2013
                                That maybe.  I will look at the fine print, when I find my microscope.  I recently used one to buy 2HD ton shop crane.  That's big ticket for me at this time.  Don't remember the HF list, but with the coupon plus the ongoing 'sale' price at the moment, got it for 180.  You should ask them.
                                Phil R

                                Message 15 of 22 , Mar 9, 2013
                                  Hi,

                                  Check around for adverts - magazines, etc...  Note - some products are excluded - I recall the Cushman compressors...  I have not seen an exclusion for the mill/drill.  Oh heck, give me a minute, I'm sure I have a coupon downstairs...I'll be right back...... I'm back, and here is/are a few of the salient points....

                                  Can't combine with any other deal, coupon, etc... (no double dipping), gift cards or Inside Track Club..  Can't use for compressors, generators, tool storage or carts, welders, floor jacks, towable rid-on trencher 65162, open box items, in-store event or parking lot sales or prior sales.

                                  I see all compressors are now excluded.. and a bunch of other interesting items.  You can use the coupon in-store, on-line or by 'phone....20% off, one item only.

                                  So according to the coupon in April Popular Science magazine - the mill/drill qualifies.  Go to your local store and look at a copy of the magazine - see if the coupon looks good for your needs.

                                  Take care,
                                  DBN

                                  Message 16 of 22 , Mar 9, 2013
                                    Hi,

                                    See my other note regarding the 20% off coupon - you can use it.

                                    As for the extras - ahem....I gather he didn't like the drill chuck and face mill it came with (the ones in the picture look like them to me, but my eyes are getting a tad old).

                                    At $500 it is a good eal - will he sell it for the price (shipping $$ ok?) - OR will someone local bid it up to $850 and drive over an pick it up?

                                    So, if $XXX is good for you - bid that price and keep your fingers away for the keybaord until the sale is over <smile>.  Very easy to say - harder to do - been there too many times.

                                    The best of luck to you - let all know what happens - most especialy if you win and are making great widgets.

                                    DBN

                                    Message 17 of 22 , Mar 9, 2013
                                      Hi,

                                      The HF folks like you better <smile>.   The 20% off is out of Popular Science magazine - I haven't seen a regional 25% off coupon.  Very interesting.

                                      Agreed on the bidding.

                                      Take care,
                                      DBN

                                      Message 18 of 22 , Mar 10, 2013
                                        That could be.  They know where I live so they send lots of temptations.  This was the first 25% er I ever saw, then a couple of weeks later, another one came.  A question:  Who brings in the mail, you or your wife? <smile>
                                        Phil R

                                        Message 19 of 22 , Mar 10, 2013

                                          Very Good <SMILE>!!!!!

                                          That could be.  They know where I live so they send lots of temptations.  This was the first 25% er I ever saw, then a couple of weeks later, another one came.  A question:  Who brings in the mail, you or your wife? <smile>
                                          Phil R

                                          Not sure about your location, but we have a 25% off coupon circulating around here now(Houston TX area). So (1200 - 300) + 97 = $997. (+tax maybe) to your door for a new machine with warranty. So now the bidding is at 500+ ??? + 200 shipping for $700+. Not sure what the collets are worth, but I would not get into much of a bidding war over it.

                                          --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "joeyfredrick@..." <joeyfredrick@...> wrote:

                                          > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=151008994348#ht_1348wt_1398
                                          >
                                          > In good shape. What do you think it's worth?

                                        • Jerry Durand
                                          Message 20 of 22 , Mar 10, 2013
                                            On 03/10/2013 12:41 AM, philr_77378@... wrote:
                                            That could be.  They know where I live so they send lots of temptations.  This was the first 25% er I ever saw, then a couple of weeks later, another one came.  A question:  Who brings in the mail, you or your wife? <smile>
                                            Phil R

                                            My wife just handed me a page of HF coupons including the free gift and 20% off ones, it was in a "Valu-Pak" mailer.  She also finds them in other advertisements that we get as well as in Country Life magazine (free magazine) and at least one of the NRA magazines.  We keep a stack under a magnet on the 'fridge, nicely sorted with the ones about to expire on the top (it's a strong magnet, the stack gets thick).

                                            A friend who buys HF gear for his job is always amazed when I come up with HF coupons and he's apparently never seen a free item coupon, I guess he never looks at the mail.

                                            tel: +1 408 356-3886, USA toll free: 1 866 356-3886
                                            Skype:  jerrydurand

                                          • CS Mo
                                            Message 21 of 22 , Mar 10, 2013
                                              Jerry, I think it depends on how close you are to a Harbor Freight. When I lived 10 miles from a HF store, I used to get 2-3 coupons a week. I currently live about 50 miles from a HF store and never get them.

                                              --CS

                                              >On 03/10/2013 12:41 AM, philr_77378@... wrote:
                                              >>

                                              >> That could be. They know where I live so they send lots of
                                              >> temptations. This was the first 25% er I ever saw, then a couple of
                                              >> weeks later, another one came. A question: Who brings in the mail,
                                              >> you or your wife? <smile>
                                              >> Phil R
                                              >>

                                              >My wife just handed me a page of HF coupons including the free gift and
                                              >20% off ones, it was in a "Valu-Pak" mailer. She also finds them in
                                              >other advertisements that we get as well as in Country Life magazine
                                              >(free magazine) and at least one of the NRA magazines. We keep a stack
                                              >under a magnet on the 'fridge, nicely sorted with the ones about to
                                              >expire on the top (it's a strong magnet, the stack gets thick).
                                              >
                                              >A friend who buys HF gear for his job is always amazed when I come up
                                              >with HF coupons and he's apparently never seen a free item coupon, I
                                              >guess he never looks at the mail.
                                              >
                                              >--
                                              >Jerry Durand, Durand Interstellar, Inc. www.interstellar.com
                                              >tel: +1 408 356-3886, USA toll free: 1 866 356-3886
                                              >Skype: jerrydurand

                                            • uhmgawa
                                              Message 22 of 22 , Mar 10, 2013
                                                --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "joeyfredrick@..." <joeyfredrick@...> wrote:

                                                > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=151008994348#ht_1348wt_1398
                                                >
                                                > In good shape. What do you think it's worth?

                                                About $500 less than the current bid given the buyer gets to foot
                                                the bill for shipping. The best case is you'll end up with a
                                                HF "quality" machine. But if you have a problem..

                                                Enco currently has a Rong Fu round column mill for $1350 with
                                                free shipping. And in my recent experience with a no-name
                                                knock off square column mill where Enco couldn't find one
                                                within usable tolerance, they actually replaced the mill with
                                                a bona fide Rong Fu at no cost to me.

                                                I'd let the Evilbay auction head off the cliff and into the
                                                hands of whoever thinks that proposition makes sense. I think
                                                at that price better deals are easy to find.