RE: [mill_drill] new article: Drilling a Hexagonal Hole [1 Attachment]

  • Rick Sparber
    Message 1 of 24 , Mar 7, 2013

      John,

      This is a good start but there is more to it. If the flat to flat distance is ¼”, then using 1/16” holes plus a ¼” center hole is good enough. But as you go to larger flat to flat distances, more small holes are needed to minimize error.

      The challenge is to calculate the diameter and location of these small holes. They will not all be 1/16”.

      Rick

      From: Rick Sparber <rgsparber@...>
      Subject: RE: [mill_drill] new article: Drilling a Hexagonal Hole
      To: mill_drill@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Wednesday, March 6, 2013, 6:42 AM

      John,

      Thanks for catching the error. It is now fixed plus I made the equations look a little better:

      http://rick.sparber.org/dhh.pdf

      The figures are right, only the equations were wrong.

      Rick

      From: Rick Sparber <rgsparber@...>
      To: "mill_drill@yahoogroups.com" <mill_drill@yahoogroups.com>
      Date: Saturday, March 2, 2013, 8:27 PM

      John,

      That would be very impressive.

      Rick

      On Mar 2, 2013, at 9:26 PM, John <jennasys@...> wrote:

      If I get some time, I'll try and write up a little program to calculate drill sizes to get the best fit/require the least amount of cleanup.

      John

      From: Rick Sparber <rgsparber@...>
      To: "mill_drill@yahoogroups.com" <mill_drill@yahoogroups.com>
      Date: Sunday, February 24, 2013, 3:57 AM

      John,

      Glad to be of service.  What size hex do you plan to drill?

      Rick

      On Feb 24, 2013, at 2:57 AM, John <jennasys@...> wrote:

      Awesome.  I have a project where I need to make a single hex hole and this will work beautifully.  I had already planned on using a similar technique, but this spells out exactly what I need to do.  Thanks for posting it!

      -John

      Message 2 of 24 , Mar 7, 2013
      • 1 Attachment
      • 38 KB

      Actually, that's why I decided to create the program.

      On this version I made the following assumptions:

        1.  Only one hole per corner will be drilled, using a fractional drill bit.

        2.  The center drill will be the same size as the hex (flat-to-flat)

      The program (as it currently stands) allows you to enter the desired hex size.  Using the up/down arrow keys, it will cycle through different hole sizes for the corners by 1/64ths.  Each time a different hole size is selected, it will recalculate the corner hole positions (X & Y), as well as recalculate the extra area removed in the corners and the area that's left behind on the flats that will still need to be removed.  When you hit a ratio of 1.0 between these two areas it would mean the extra area removed around the corners is about the same area as the bits on the flats that will need to be removed - essentially balancing the two factors.

      As a bonus I also added an option to just show the outline created to better visualize the resulting semi-finished hole (see attached).

      I suppose it would be possible to add the ability to maybe drill 3 holes in each corner (one large and 2 smaller ones on either side of it) to remove additional material on larger hex sizes, though then you go from drilling 7 holes to drilling 19 with 3 different sizes.  I guess that just depends on how close you need it and how much clean up you're willing to do.

      Well, if there's interest, I can give it some more thought.  The math should be interesting.

      Message 3 of 24 , Mar 7, 2013

        John,

        I found the math daunting. For example, set the flat to flat distance at ½” and drill 1/16” holes at each point. Then drill the center ½” hole. You will see that the excess metal to be removed is large. By eye I can pick drill sizes and hole placement to get this excess as small as I like. But doing with a program is tricky. Of course, if you drill multiple small holes, you want to keep a web of around 0.01” between holes so the drill does not break through. The large central hole doesn’t care about the smaller holes both because it is so much larger and because the smaller holes will be equally distributed around the center so no net lateral force is present.

        Best of luck!

        Message 4 of 24 , Mar 7, 2013

          Rick, your eye seems to be pretty accurate as the 1/16" hole for the 1/4" hex looks to be about right based on the theory as well.  You also make a good point about keeping a wall between the smaller holes.  That should further help to complicate the math  ;-)

          Message 5 of 24 , Mar 7, 2013

            John,

            You give me too much credit. I chose 1/16” because that was the smallest drill in my fractional drill set and I had spares.

            I tried to use my CAD program to help me see the general case for any size polygon but it quickly got very complicated. Clearly a 1/16” hole at each point is a good start. But beyond that, it gets very tricky.

            Rick