Ellis dividing head

  • largrin
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 2, 2013
      I cross posted this to 2 groups to get all the info I can. Sorry
      if you get it twice.

      I just got a fantastic deal on a beautiful old Ellis dividing head.
      It has a swivel base, and angular tilting.
      It is in perfect condition, & has plates # 1, 2, 3, a tail stock, and a 4 jaw chuck.
      It includes the drive arm bracket that gets driven by a dog.

      The tail stock is about a 1" lower center because the extra base is not there,
      but I can easily make a new base for it.

      The only thing missing is the dead center.
      Does any one know what the inside taper is?
      A #3 Morse center slides clear through it, and a #4 Morse wont even start into it.
      A 4C collet just barely slides into it.

      The hole angle is approximately 1.5° per side.
      I think I need a B&S #9 dead center.

      Any input is really appreciated.

      Thanks,
      Larry in WV
    • largrin
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 2, 2013
        Thanks Walter, for pointing out what I should have seen before.
        It was right on the info page.

        Larry

        --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "largrin" <LarGrin@...> wrote:

        > I cross posted this to 2 groups to get all the info I can. Sorry
        > if you get it twice.
        >
        > I just got a fantastic deal on a beautiful old Ellis dividing head.
        > It has a swivel base, and angular tilting.
        > It is in perfect condition, & has plates # 1, 2, 3, a tail stock, and a 4 jaw chuck.
        > It includes the drive arm bracket that gets driven by a dog.
        >
        > The tail stock is about a 1" lower center because the extra base is not there,
        > but I can easily make a new base for it.
        >
        > The only thing missing is the dead center.
        > Does any one know what the inside taper is?
        > A #3 Morse center slides clear through it, and a #4 Morse wont even start into it.
        > A 4C collet just barely slides into it.
        >
        > The hole angle is approximately 1.5° per side.
        > I think I need a B&S #9 dead center.
        >
        > Any input is really appreciated.
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Larry in WV

      • rick.redfield
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 2, 2013
          Score!

          http://www.kinzers.com/don/MachineTools/EllisDivHead/

          Everything you always wanted to know about Ellis Dividing Heads but were afraid to ask

          Rick R

          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 2, 2013
            Thanks Rick!

            Larry

            --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, RedfieldRH@... wrote:

            > Score!
            >
            > http://www.kinzers.com/don/MachineTools/EllisDivHead/
            >
            > Everything you always wanted to know about Ellis Dividing Heads but were afraid to ask
            >
            > Rick R

          • largrin
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 2, 2013
              Just to simplify things, I ordered a single 3/4" B&S #9 collet.
              I will also order a plain B&S #9 dead center if I can ever find one.
              This will do everything I need this unit to do.
              I have a brand new Chinese 4" 3 jaw chuck. I am going to mount it on
              a plate and use a 3/4" shank on it.

              For other jobs I also have a super spacer, rotary table, and all the 5C goodies.

              Thanks to all for the wise words.

              Larry

              Molon Labe

              --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "largrin" <LarGrin@...> wrote:

              > I cross posted this to 2 groups to get all the info I can. Sorry
              > if you get it twice.
              >
              > I just got a fantastic deal on a beautiful old Ellis dividing head.
              > It has a swivel base, and angular tilting.
              > It is in perfect condition, & has plates # 1, 2, 3, a tail stock, and a 4 jaw chuck.
              > It includes the drive arm bracket that gets driven by a dog.
              >
              > The tail stock is about a 1" lower center because the extra base is not there,
              > but I can easily make a new base for it.
              >
              > The only thing missing is the dead center.
              > Does any one know what the inside taper is?
              > A #3 Morse center slides clear through it, and a #4 Morse wont even start into it.
              > A 4C collet just barely slides into it.
              >
              > The hole angle is approximately 1.5° per side.
              > I think I need a B&S #9 dead center.
              >
              > Any input is really appreciated.
              >
              > Thanks,
              > Larry in WV