Re: [mill_drill] Re: Harbor Freight Mill/Drill 33686 Bearing ?

  • Druid Noibn
    Message 1 of 70 , Feb 25, 2013
      Hi,

      In theory - everything works <smile>.

      I am often impressed on how much we "tech types" will split a hair to make an improvement - heck, that is how we learn and I most certainly encourage learning. I do have a colleague who purchased nice cables that go from his amplifier to the speakers...at $1,000 each. Why? To him, they sound better. He is also convinced that a demagnetizer is needed to remove the magnetism in the inks used on labels and to "degauss" the cables.

      The above comment is not to cast aspersions on anyone but in fact to note that we often will try to wring out every last bit of potential out of a piece of equipment.  GREAT – it would be really good to get the numbers (before & after) – probably too late for that.  As well as one’s opinions as to the “feel” of the system.

      My bias – the AC bearings, used in opposing pairs, would have a nice use in a precision lathe; I still don’t see the benefit in the use in a hobbyist mill/drill.   The comment is based on what I perceive (more bias) on the tolerances, robustness and otherwise how well a system is built. To take advantage of a precision part, one needs to support it.  All of us can give very nice examples of this, be it in machining, plumbing, electronics or what-have-you.

      If your buddy believes it is best to "go for gold" - let's all know what you found; we can all benefit from the experience of others.

      I'm sure this can easily turn into a bit of flaming - so, opinion noted and the best to all.

      Be well,
      DBN

      Message 70 of 70 , Mar 12, 2013
      • 1 Attachment
      • 250 KB
      I am not sure what your milling table looks like but would you be able to
      mount your tools on an adapter plate? I have this small vise attached to a
      3/8 steel plate. It makes for very quick angle set-ups on the mill and
      will bolt down to many of my other fixtures.