Re: Harbor Freight Mill/Drill 33686 Bearing ?

  • olds7d442
    Message 1 of 70 , Feb 25, 2013
      Dana,
      Thanks for the reply. The reason I was looking at the angular contact is because this is the type of bearing that is used on the spindles in all the bigger and better high end mills. Less drag, higher speed, greater precision and maybe a lower axial load (drilling), but I "believe" they are capable of handling a greater radial load and that is exactly what I'm looking for when milling. Believe me when I tell you I really don't want to spend the money on the angular bearings, but I feel the is something to gain. The gain may not be worth the cost and that is what I'm trying to find out.

      --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, Dana Hague <d-m-hague@...> wrote:

      > I don't see any advantage to angular contact bearings in this
      > application. AC bearings have less drag and higher speed capacity, but
      > [generally] a lower load capacity. For the kinds of
      > vibrating/pulsing/impact loading in a machine tool spindle, I'd stick with
      > the tapered roller bearings.
      >
      > -Dana
      >
      > At 10:08 PM 2/24/2013, you wrote:
      > >

      > >I have a harbor freight mill/drill and I took out the quill and spindle to
      > >check the bearings. The grease was old and the bearings are made in China.
      > >The bearings are a tapered roller bearing part #'s 30206p5 and a 30207p5.
      > >I decided to just replace them with a quality p5 tapered roller bearing
      > >with brand new grease and call it a day. Well. I got to thinking, what if
      > >I was to replace these with an angular contact bearing. The bearings I was
      > >looking at have the exact same dimensions as the tapered bearings and are
      > >a 7206p4 and a 7207p4. Here is a link to one of the bearings on ebay:
      > ><http://www.ebay.com/itm/7207CYP4-Nachi-Angular-Contact-35x72x17-Abec-7-35mm-72mm-17mm-Ball-Ball-Bearings-/400241206925?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5d303c268d>http://www.ebay.com/itm/7207CYP4-Nachi-Angular-Contact-35x72x17-Abec-7-35mm-72mm-17mm-Ball-Ball-Bearings-/400241206925?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5d303c268d
      > >
      > >The bearings are obviously a lot more expensive then the tapered roller
      > >bearing and I was just wondering if:
      > >1)I was wasting my money with this type of machine.
      > >2)Is there a benefit to angular contact over the tapered bearings in my
      > >application.
      > >3)Has anyone ever done this on this machine before?
      > >Any and all answers are greatly appreciated.
      > >Thanks,
      > >
      > >Frank
      > >

      > --
      > The family that shoots together..... shouldn't be messed with!

    • greg.gelhar
      Message 70 of 70 , Mar 12, 2013
      I am not sure what your milling table looks like but would you be able to
      mount your tools on an adapter plate? I have this small vise attached to a
      3/8 steel plate. It makes for very quick angle set-ups on the mill and
      will bolt down to many of my other fixtures.