Re: Harbor Freight Mill/Drill 33686 Bearing ?

  • olds7d442
    Message 1 of 70 , Feb 25, 2013
      Mark,

      You are correct, I don't believe there was anything wrong with the original bearings. I do feel that changing from a china made bearing to an american made bearing was a good idea. Just thought I would get more precision out of the angular contact, but if the machine itself has precision problems elsewhere, then I guess it would hard to see any improvement from angular bearings.

      --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, Mark Bennett <mwaynebennett@...> wrote:

      > I had a Foremost mill/drill and it had limitations regarding the precision of the ways, vibration, fit etc. It could do precision work but I cannot see how putting in high-end bearings would improve anything. I don't think that those bearings are the "weak link" so to speak. If the tapered roller bearings failed before their anticipated service life I might reconsider, but you did not mention that there were anything wrong with the old bearings.
      >
      > Good luck,
      >
      > Mark
      >
      > To: mill_drill@yahoogroups.com
      > From: olds7d442@...
      > Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2013 03:43:42 +0000
      > Subject: [mill_drill] Re: Harbor Freight Mill/Drill 33686 Bearing ?

      > Mark,
      >

      > Although I appreciate your answer, can you elaborate a little more to exactly why you feel this way.
      >

      > --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, Mark Bennett wrote:
      >

      > > I cannot see the benefit. It would be like putting high performance tires on Yugo.
      >

      > > Mark
      >

      > > To: mill_drill@yahoogroups.com
      >
      > > From: olds7d442@
      >
      > > Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2013 03:08:12 +0000
      >
      > > Subject: [mill_drill] Harbor Freight Mill/Drill 33686 Bearing ?

      > > I have a harbor freight mill/drill and I took out the quill and spindle to check the bearings. The grease was old and the bearings are made in China. The bearings are a tapered roller bearing part #'s 30206p5 and a 30207p5. I decided to just replace them with a quality p5 tapered roller bearing with brand new grease and call it a day. Well. I got to thinking, what if I was to replace these with an angular contact bearing. The bearings I was looking at have the exact same dimensions as the tapered bearings and are a 7206p4 and a 7207p4. Here is a link to one of the bearings on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/7207CYP4-Nachi-Angular-Contact-35x72x17-Abec-7-35mm-72mm-17mm-Ball-Ball-Bearings-/400241206925?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5d303c268d
      >

      > > The bearings are obviously a lot more expensive then the tapered roller bearing and I was just wondering if:
      >

      > > 1)I was wasting my money with this type of machine.
      >

      > > 2)Is there a benefit to angular contact over the tapered bearings in my application.
      >

      > > 3)Has anyone ever done this on this machine before?
      >

      > > Any and all answers are greatly appreciated.
      >

      > > Thanks,
      >

      > > Frank

    • greg.gelhar
      Message 70 of 70 , Mar 12, 2013
      • 1 Attachment
      • 250 KB
      I am not sure what your milling table looks like but would you be able to
      mount your tools on an adapter plate? I have this small vise attached to a
      3/8 steel plate. It makes for very quick angle set-ups on the mill and
      will bolt down to many of my other fixtures.