Harbor Freight Mill/Drill 33686 Bearing ?

  • olds7d442
    Message 1 of 70 , Feb 24, 2013
      I have a harbor freight mill/drill and I took out the quill and spindle to check the bearings. The grease was old and the bearings are made in China. The bearings are a tapered roller bearing part #'s 30206p5 and a 30207p5. I decided to just replace them with a quality p5 tapered roller bearing with brand new grease and call it a day. Well. I got to thinking, what if I was to replace these with an angular contact bearing. The bearings I was looking at have the exact same dimensions as the tapered bearings and are a 7206p4 and a 7207p4. Here is a link to one of the bearings on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/7207CYP4-Nachi-Angular-Contact-35x72x17-Abec-7-35mm-72mm-17mm-Ball-Ball-Bearings-/400241206925?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5d303c268d

      The bearings are obviously a lot more expensive then the tapered roller bearing and I was just wondering if:
      1)I was wasting my money with this type of machine.
      2)Is there a benefit to angular contact over the tapered bearings in my application.
      3)Has anyone ever done this on this machine before?
      Any and all answers are greatly appreciated.
      Thanks,

      Frank
    • greg.gelhar
      Message 70 of 70 , Mar 12, 2013
      • 1 Attachment
      • 250 KB
      I am not sure what your milling table looks like but would you be able to
      mount your tools on an adapter plate? I have this small vise attached to a
      3/8 steel plate. It makes for very quick angle set-ups on the mill and
      will bolt down to many of my other fixtures.