Re: [mill_drill] new article: Drilling a Hexagonal Hole

  • Dan Mauch
    Message 1 of 24 , Feb 24, 2013

      Years ago I worked in a machine shop and used a couple different methods. One method not mentioned so far was to drill a hole in the part the diameter of the distance across the flats Then we took a regular Allen wrench and ground the end flat making sure we did not get it hot enough to lose the temper. Then the tool would be chucked up on center and pressed into the hole. In fact that’s how many Allen cap screw hexes are formed. You can tell that they used this method when you look inside the hex and see the folder edges pressed to the bottom.

      Dan Mauch

      www.camtronics-cnc.com

      dmauch@...

      Stepper and servo motors

      Kits, assembled and custom CNC using Gecko products.

    • Dan Mauch

        Message 3 of 24 , Feb 28, 2013

          Hey Rick,

          I don't have the mating part in front of me, but IIRC it was about a 7/16" hex.  It just needed to be a slip fit, so I'm not too worried about tolerances.  I was thinking I'd go a little bigger on the holes for the corners and use a small file to make the flats a little "flatter" after the center drill operation.

          -John

          From: Rick Sparber <rgsparber@...>
          To: valleymetal@yahoogroups.com, mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, smithy-machines@yahoogroups.com, 3_in_1_Lathe_Mill_Drill@yahoogroups.com
          Date: Tuesday, February 19, 2013, 9:22 AM

          This article, intended for those new to our hobby of metalworking, explains how you can drill a hole with a hexagonal cross section. I provide all needed dimensions for a ¼” hex bit plus the math enabling you to drill any size polygon.

          If you are interested, please see

          http://rick.sparber.org/dhh.pdf

          Your comments and questions are welcome. All of us are smarter than any one of us.

          For the full index of my articles, see rick.sparber.org.

          Rick

        • Rick Sparber
          Message 4 of 24 , Mar 2, 2013

            John,

            I was going to write up the general case as an article but then realized there is no general case. You just have to pick drill sizes that take out the most material.

            Message 5 of 24 , Mar 2, 2013
              Hey Rick
              Havent seen you here bevore. Have you bean here a while ?

              GP

              Message 6 of 24 , Mar 2, 2013

                GP,

                I’ve been here a while but spent so much time on my Electronic Edge Finders, there wasn’t much time left over for milling. I think I’m done with electronics for a while but can never be sure what my next project will be.

                My web site does have an entire section devoted to mill attachments and another for mill technique:

                http://rick.sparber.org/ma.htm

                Message 7 of 24 , Mar 2, 2013

                  If I get some time, I'll try and write up a little program to calculate drill sizes to get the best fit/require the least amount of cleanup.

                  Message 8 of 24 , Mar 2, 2013
                    John,

                    That would be very impressive.

                    Rick

                    Message 9 of 24 , Mar 5, 2013

                      Hey Rick, I just started going through the theory section in your paper - should the initial calculation for the hypotenuse (center to hex corner) be:

                        1/8 / cos(30)

                      instead of:

                        1/8 x cos(30)

                      Message 10 of 24 , Mar 6, 2013

                        John,

                        Thanks for catching the error. It is now fixed plus I made the equations look a little better:

                        http://rick.sparber.org/dhh.pdf

                        The figures are right, only the equations were wrong.

                        Rick

                        Message 11 of 24 , Mar 7, 2013
                        • 1 Attachment
                        • 40 KB

                        So instead of doing real work for the past day or so, I went ahead and wrote a program to calculate and visualize the drilled hex holes based on fractional drill sizes (screenshot is attached).  I'd be more than happy to share it, though I wrote it in Python and I'm not sure if that's a deal killer for the folks here.  Mac and Linux come with Python pre-installed, and I believe I can make a stand alone EXE file for windows if desired.  Worst case I can possibly even port it into Javascript so that it can be run in a web browser.

                        Anyway, I'm just trying to figure out the best way to get it into the hands of anyone that wants it.  What does everyone think?

                        Message 12 of 24 , Mar 7, 2013

                          John,

                          This is a good start but there is more to it. If the flat to flat distance is ¼”, then using 1/16” holes plus a ¼” center hole is good enough. But as you go to larger flat to flat distances, more small holes are needed to minimize error.

                          The challenge is to calculate the diameter and location of these small holes. They will not all be 1/16”.

                          Rick

                          [Attachment(s) from John included below]

[...]

                          1 of 1 Photo(s)

                        • John
                          Message 13 of 24 , Mar 7, 2013
                          • 1 Attachment
                          • 38 KB

                          Actually, that's why I decided to create the program.

                          On this version I made the following assumptions:

                            1.  Only one hole per corner will be drilled, using a fractional drill bit.

                            2.  The center drill will be the same size as the hex (flat-to-flat)

                          The program (as it currently stands) allows you to enter the desired hex size.  Using the up/down arrow keys, it will cycle through different hole sizes for the corners by 1/64ths.  Each time a different hole size is selected, it will recalculate the corner hole positions (X & Y), as well as recalculate the extra area removed in the corners and the area that's left behind on the flats that will still need to be removed.  When you hit a ratio of 1.0 between these two areas it would mean the extra area removed around the corners is about the same area as the bits on the flats that will need to be removed - essentially balancing the two factors.

                          As a bonus I also added an option to just show the outline created to better visualize the resulting semi-finished hole (see attached).

                          I suppose it would be possible to add the ability to maybe drill 3 holes in each corner (one large and 2 smaller ones on either side of it) to remove additional material on larger hex sizes, though then you go from drilling 7 holes to drilling 19 with 3 different sizes.  I guess that just depends on how close you need it and how much clean up you're willing to do.

                          Well, if there's interest, I can give it some more thought.  The math should be interesting.

                          Message 14 of 24 , Mar 7, 2013

                            John,

                            I found the math daunting. For example, set the flat to flat distance at ½” and drill 1/16” holes at each point. Then drill the center ½” hole. You will see that the excess metal to be removed is large. By eye I can pick drill sizes and hole placement to get this excess as small as I like. But doing with a program is tricky. Of course, if you drill multiple small holes, you want to keep a web of around 0.01” between holes so the drill does not break through. The large central hole doesn’t care about the smaller holes both because it is so much larger and because the smaller holes will be equally distributed around the center so no net lateral force is present.

                            Best of luck!

                            Message 15 of 24 , Mar 7, 2013

                              Rick, your eye seems to be pretty accurate as the 1/16" hole for the 1/4" hex looks to be about right based on the theory as well.  You also make a good point about keeping a wall between the smaller holes.  That should further help to complicate the math  ;-)

                              Message 16 of 24 , Mar 7, 2013

                                John,

                                You give me too much credit. I chose 1/16” because that was the smallest drill in my fractional drill set and I had spares.

                                I tried to use my CAD program to help me see the general case for any size polygon but it quickly got very complicated. Clearly a 1/16” hole at each point is a good start. But beyond that, it gets very tricky.

                                Rick