Need some more advice.

  • David Van Mill
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 18, 2013
      Does anyone know anything about a bench mill made by Johansson. I don't know any more than that. There is one for sale not far from my house.

      Is this a brand that I should consider looking at or should I stay away from this manufacturer?

      Thanks,
      David / nomous69
    • Mike Roberts
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 18, 2013
        A quick internet check says this is the same mill as the Clausing 8520.  Pretty tiny based on the specs.

        Mike Roberts

        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 18, 2013
          On 2/18/2013 4:11 PM, David Van Mill wrote:
          Does anyone know anything about a bench mill made by Johansson. I don't know any more than that. There is one for sale not far from my house.

          Is this a brand that I should consider looking at or should I stay away from this manufacturer?

          Take a look at:   http://www.lathes.co.uk/clausing%20vertical/index.html     These small milling machines are highly desirable and generally cost a lot more than you would think because of that.  Otherwise, if the size fits the scope of your intended use, buy it.  They are a good mill.  Nothing you should stay away from.  I'd say they are better than an equivalent 'made in China'  mill.  Take a good look at the slop; on the lead screws and run-out on the spindle, etc. etc. just like you would on any used machine.

          JerryK
        • David Van Mill
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 18, 2013
            Called on the Mill and it was already gone, so I will keep looking.
            Thanks for the information!!
            David / NOMOUS69

            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 18, 2013
              David,
              Good deals disappear quick.  I used to use one of those in a test lab I worked in, and it was pretty good, but it's a small knee mill, rather than an actual bench mill.  Learn everything you can up front, so you can move quick. I recently had some good references bookmarked, and I will try to find those again and send them to you.  One in particular, had some good tips on what to look for when buying a used mill.   That web site you were referred to by Jerome is an excellent resource.  Someone did quite a public service by cataloging all those machines.
              Phil R

              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 19, 2013

                Fyi ….there is a yahoo forum  for the  clausing 8520 mill ,,,,, check out  “clausing  lathe and mill group”