Odd size face mill arbor?

  • svsequoia_pdx
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 13, 2013
      I just got my new Sabre ZX45L from AR Machinery in Spokane.  It is an RF-45 clone with a longer table (39" long, 30" travel), power X feed and base.  Now the fun begins!  I have a Shumatech DRO and will soon order scales.

      The accessories include a drill chuck and arbor, R8 - MT3 adapter, MT3-MT2 sleeve, and an R8 arbor for, presumably, a face mill.  The really odd thing is that the arbor end has a diameter of 1.0595" (26.91mm).  This could be either for a face mill with a 17/16"  bore, or perhaps 27 mm bore.  I have never seen such a tool offered for sale.  Does anyone have any thoughts about its intended use?

      Also, I would like to buy a general purpose face mill suitable for the 2HP of this machine that I can use for medium cuts and finishing both steel and aluminum.  I know there are a bunch of really good cutters out there for the pros, but no way can I justify $300-$400. Does anyone have experience with the Grizzly G4051 2.5" face mill  , which has 4 triangular inserts, or the Penn tools 404-431  ?
      It looks like going to a 45degree cutter will run me $200 or more, but may be better for what I want to do.  Advice?

      Craig

    • Druid Noibn
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 13, 2013
        Hi Craig,

        The G4051 are the inserts - the face mill looks to be G2861.

        You can find great deals on eBay if you are not in a hurry and look carefully at what is offered - watch out for the cost of replacement inserts.

        I haven't tried the Grizzly facemill so no testimony here other than my experiecne with them is very good so far.

        PennTool are a few miles from me.  The offering they have doesn't look to include the inserts or the arbor.

        Of the two - my bias is towards Grizzly.

        Kind regards,
        DBN

        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 13, 2013
          27mm is a standard size for metric face mills -- fits cutter diameters
          which are pretty large, I would think, for a machine like yours. In
          any case, difficult to find in the US. You can, but they are
          expensive. Quite cheap if you want to search German eBay for
          "WALZENSTIRNFRÄSER" if a seller will ship. Otherwise CTC Tools has
          indexable face mills to fit: http://tinyurl.com/bb6rv23 Size shown
          is OD 80mm with a bore of 27mm for that type. There are a couple
          other varieties they sell also: http://tinyurl.com/afj3237 -Arthur

          On Wed, Feb 13, 2013 at 12:49 PM, svsequoia_pdx <k7cej@...> wrote:
          > The really odd thing
          > is that the arbor end has a diameter of 1.0595" (26.91mm). This could be
          > either for a face mill with a 17/16" bore, or perhaps 27 mm bore. I have
          > never seen such a tool offered for sale. Does anyone have any thoughts
          > about its intended use?
        • Steve
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 13, 2013
            I don't have one of these nor am I connected with the company in any way but have heard good things about their products. This is designed to work well on lower horsepower machines.
            http://www.glacern.com/fm45