Original Rong Fu 45..

  • uhmgawa
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 30, 2013
      Hi Folks,
      After a series of issues with the clones I'm looking at an
      actual Rong Fu 45 machine. One finding I'd tripped over was
      the clones appear to use an acme screw for the column travel,
      and the column is setup even on manual Z axis versions with the
      top of the column open, flycut level, and tapped with a bolt circle
      for the drive head. On the RF to my best interpretation of the
      manual, it appears to use a rack and pinion to drive the head travel
      with no provisions in the column for a powered drive.

      This isn't a fundamental issue as a ball screw is destined for the
      head motion but I'm wondering if anyone has first hand attempted
      NC of the Z axis in an original RF45? I'm curious whether the
      rack/pinion still persists in current manufacture RF45s or if this
      has been obsoleted by an acme screw drive similar to the clones?
      If the former (rack) do any obstructions exist which might
      complicate getting a ball screw mounted in the column such that
      it can be driven from the top? Worst case would appear to be
      needing to flycut the column top square, bore a hole for the
      drive shaft and whatever drive mounting I decide upon. The clone
      screw sits in compression between the nut and a lower bearing.
      For the RF however, keeping the screw in tension from nut to a
      TBD top bearing may be the most straightforward approach.

      I haven't decided on the RF definitively yet, so general feedback on
      the quality/quirks/etc.. of bona fide RF45s would be appreciated.

      Thanks!
    • davekelloggs
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 31, 2013
        This might help, although it is from about 2004. Thomas Powell has a number of nice photo essays about converting his "real" RF-45 to CNC:
        http://imageevent.com/tppjr/mill/rf45dovetailmill/cnc/zaxisballscrew;jsessionid=fjimal9r04.penguin_s