Re: [mill_drill] new article: Low Cost Plastic Insulating Washers

  • Corey Renner
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 27, 2013
      I knew I wasn't the only person that saves those.  The thicker carboard ones (fake credit cards in junk-mail) make excellent disposable shims to prevent your work from being marred when using strap clamps, etc.  I use them all the time.

      cheers,

      On Sun, Jan 27, 2013 at 5:37 PM, Rick Sparber <rgsparber@...> wrote:

      This article is intended for those new to our hobby. It details how to use punches and scrap plastic gift cards to make insulting washers. If you are interested, please see

      http://rick.sparber.org/hpw.pdf

      Your comments and questions are welcome. All of us are smarter than any one of us.

      For the full index of my articles, see rick.sparber.org.

      Rick

    • Rick Sparber
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 27, 2013

        Corey,

        There isn’t much I throw away….

        Rick

        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 27, 2013
          --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Sparber" wrote:

          > This article is intended for those new to our hobby. It details
          > how to use punches and scrap plastic gift cards to make
          > insulting washers. If you are interested, please see..

          I think what you're after is a shoulder washer which would
          allow omitting the third internal washer. Shoulder washers
          are commonly available for mounting TO-220 (and similar)
          semiconductor packages. Recently I picked up a bag of 1000
          shipped from Taiwan for a whopping US$3.59.

          Another consideration when insulating current carrying bolted
          connections is the failure mode where the connection loosens
          (due to vibration and/or temperature) and potentially arcs.
          You may want to use a material with predictable heat stability.
        • Robert Broughton
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 27, 2013
            The one washer says "Why is it always so shocking when we walk in here".  The other replies "It wouldn't be an issue if this wasn't a Bus bar"

            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 27, 2013

              OUCH - Do any of you have any self-respect...? THANK YOU <SMILE>

              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 27, 2013

                Groan…

                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 28, 2013
                  All mine are recycled into guitar picks.

                  Regards

                  cww