Re: "drilled" holes

  • pjkettlejr
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 22, 2013
      I had to remind younger engineers that closer tolerances resulted in higher prices. Some of them would spec out +/- 0.001" when a +/- 1/64" would suffice. The reason I got on some tolerances was 'That was the number the calculator gave me.'

      --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, Corey Renner wrote:

      > Reaming will be better than using an EM, but best would be to call the
      > customer and see if its really a tolerance they need. 90% of the time, very
      > tight tolerances are not required but appear on the print because of bad
      > design/drafting.
      >
      > cheers,

      > On Jan 21, 2013 6:02 PM, "Jerry Durand" wrote:
      >
      > > **
      > >

      > > Someone just sent me a drawing asking if I could build the item. The
      > > main dimensions aren't much of a problem but the "drilled" holes are
      > > listed at +/- 0.001" at up to 0.250" diameter. Obviously a twist drill
      > > won't do this, would a new end-mill make a hole that accurate or would
      > > they all have to be reamed?
      > >
      > > --
      > > Jerry Durand, Durand Interstellar, Inc. www.interstellar.com
      > > tel: +1 408 356-3886, USA toll free: 1 866 356-3886
      > > Skype: jerrydurand

    • Brian Carmicheal
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 23, 2013

        I frequently reply with two quotes: one with standard tolerances, and one for their called tolerance. Only twice that I can think of did they want to pay 3-4 times more for ridiculous tolerances.  Most of the time they open the spec, others they walk/scrap the project. WIN-WIN.  Making a habit out of stuff like that is worse than watching "Housewives of Places We Can't Afford" with my wife ;)

      • Corey Renner
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 23, 2013
          That's a smart way to handle it.

          cheers,