RE: [mill_drill] "drilled" holes

  • Dan and Marlene Coleman
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 21, 2013

      Drill and ream.

      Dan Coleman

      From: mill_drill@yahoogroups.com [mailto:mill_drill@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Jerry Durand
      Sent: Monday, January 21, 2013 7:02 PM
      To: mill_drill@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [mill_drill] "drilled" holes

      Someone just sent me a drawing asking if I could build the item. The
      main dimensions aren't much of a problem but the "drilled" holes are
      listed at +/- 0.001" at up to 0.250" diameter. Obviously a twist drill
      won't do this, would a new end-mill make a hole that accurate or would
      they all have to be reamed?

      tel: +1 408 356-3886, USA toll free: 1 866 356-3886
      Skype: jerrydurand

    • pjkettlejr
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 22, 2013
        I had to remind younger engineers that closer tolerances resulted in higher prices. Some of them would spec out +/- 0.001" when a +/- 1/64" would suffice. The reason I got on some tolerances was 'That was the number the calculator gave me.'

        --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, Corey Renner wrote:

        > Reaming will be better than using an EM, but best would be to call the
        > customer and see if its really a tolerance they need. 90% of the time, very
        > tight tolerances are not required but appear on the print because of bad
        > design/drafting.
        >
        > cheers,

        > On Jan 21, 2013 6:02 PM, "Jerry Durand" wrote:
        >
        > > **
        > >

        > > Someone just sent me a drawing asking if I could build the item. The
        > > main dimensions aren't much of a problem but the "drilled" holes are
        > > listed at +/- 0.001" at up to 0.250" diameter. Obviously a twist drill
        > > won't do this, would a new end-mill make a hole that accurate or would
        > > they all have to be reamed?
        > >
        > > --
        > > Jerry Durand, Durand Interstellar, Inc. www.interstellar.com
        > > tel: +1 408 356-3886, USA toll free: 1 866 356-3886
        > > Skype: jerrydurand

      • Brian Carmicheal
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 23, 2013

          I frequently reply with two quotes: one with standard tolerances, and one for their called tolerance. Only twice that I can think of did they want to pay 3-4 times more for ridiculous tolerances.  Most of the time they open the spec, others they walk/scrap the project. WIN-WIN.  Making a habit out of stuff like that is worse than watching "Housewives of Places We Can't Afford" with my wife ;)

        • Corey Renner
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 23, 2013
            That's a smart way to handle it.

            cheers,