"drilled" holes

  • Jerry Durand
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 21, 2013
      Someone just sent me a drawing asking if I could build the item. The
      main dimensions aren't much of a problem but the "drilled" holes are
      listed at +/- 0.001" at up to 0.250" diameter. Obviously a twist drill
      won't do this, would a new end-mill make a hole that accurate or would
      they all have to be reamed?

      tel: +1 408 356-3886, USA toll free: 1 866 356-3886
      Skype: jerrydurand
    • Bill
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 21, 2013

        In my experience….NO!

        You can get there if you drill, and then use a reamer. Need have a rigid set up though.

        Best to drill & use a boring bar. Maybe just me, but my experience with reamers has been so-so.

        I did some mounts on my mill that had 1.000” diameter holes +.000”, -.002”….…a bunch of ‘em. Material was A572 gr50.

        I drilled the hole to 63/64, and once I got set up & tuned in, one slow pass with the boring head to finish to size. Turned ‘em out pretty quick.

        Bill

            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 21, 2013
              Jerry,

              I just bought a bunch of resharpened circuit board drills. Apparently they
              are actually miniature end mills. Minimum diameter is around #80. Drill Bit
              City has both metric and English.

              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 21, 2013
                I asked, he got the print from somewhere else and supposedly those are the right tolerances.  He said the person he got the drawing from can provide these for a reasonable price, I think I'll no-bid at this point.

                On 01/21/2013 05:47 PM, Corey Renner wrote:

                Reaming will be better than using an EM, but best would be to call the customer and see if its really a tolerance they need. 90% of the time, very tight tolerances are not required but appear on the print because of bad design/drafting.

                cheers,

                On Jan 21, 2013 6:02 PM, "Jerry Durand" <jdurand@...> wrote:

                Someone just sent me a drawing asking if I could build the item. The
                main dimensions aren't much of a problem but the "drilled" holes are
                listed at +/- 0.001" at up to 0.250" diameter. Obviously a twist drill
                won't do this, would a new end-mill make a hole that accurate or would
                they all have to be reamed?

                tel: +1 408 356-3886, USA toll free: 1 866 356-3886
                Skype: jerrydurand

                tel: +1 408 356-3886, USA toll free: 1 866 356-3886
                Skype:  jerrydurand
              • Dan and Marlene Coleman
                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 21, 2013

                  Drill and ream.

                  Dan Coleman

                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 22, 2013
                    I had to remind younger engineers that closer tolerances resulted in higher prices. Some of them would spec out +/- 0.001" when a +/- 1/64" would suffice. The reason I got on some tolerances was 'That was the number the calculator gave me.'

                    --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, Corey Renner wrote:

                    > Reaming will be better than using an EM, but best would be to call the
                    > customer and see if its really a tolerance they need. 90% of the time, very
                    > tight tolerances are not required but appear on the print because of bad
                    > design/drafting.
                    >
                    > cheers,

                    > On Jan 21, 2013 6:02 PM, "Jerry Durand" wrote:
                    >
                    > > **
                    > >

                    > > Someone just sent me a drawing asking if I could build the item. The
                    > > main dimensions aren't much of a problem but the "drilled" holes are
                    > > listed at +/- 0.001" at up to 0.250" diameter. Obviously a twist drill
                    > > won't do this, would a new end-mill make a hole that accurate or would
                    > > they all have to be reamed?
                    > >
                    > > --
                    > > Jerry Durand, Durand Interstellar, Inc. www.interstellar.com
                    > > tel: +1 408 356-3886, USA toll free: 1 866 356-3886
                    > > Skype: jerrydurand

                  • Brian Carmicheal
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jan 23, 2013

                      I frequently reply with two quotes: one with standard tolerances, and one for their called tolerance. Only twice that I can think of did they want to pay 3-4 times more for ridiculous tolerances.  Most of the time they open the spec, others they walk/scrap the project. WIN-WIN.  Making a habit out of stuff like that is worse than watching "Housewives of Places We Can't Afford" with my wife ;)

                    • Corey Renner
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jan 23, 2013
                        That's a smart way to handle it.

                        cheers,