Re: rf-45 clone out of box accuracy..

  • uhmgawa
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 14, 2013
      --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, philr_77378@... wrote:

      > Corey,
      > The RF-45 has a provision for adjusting the tilt of the head from
      > right to left.

      The head left-right (normal to X axis) rotation doesn't address nor
      compensate for column dynamic alignment to the table. If the column is
      out of square the spindle centerline will drift in the X and/or Y plane
      as the head travels along the Z axis.

      The only compensation which can be accomplished by rotating the head
      is to bring the spindle (not column) into square relative to the table
      X travel. I've seen some also suggest shimming the head rotation ways
      to bring the spindle into square relative to the table Y travel.
      Again this does not address nor compensate for column alignment
      relative to the Y axis.

      This matters in the case column travel will be used as the active Z axis
      rather than use of spindle travel for the same. Assuming the spindle is
      otherwise square in both X/Y to the table I can see compensation for a
      simple linear out-of-square column to be possible in a CNC scenario.

      But my primary motivation here was to understand how existing owners deal
      with column alignment on this mill. I've seen pictures from those who have
      separated the column from base revealing some fairly horrific factory hand
      grinding of the column + base mating surfaces. I'm wondering how such
      methods could even come close to creating acceptable factory column
      alignment, and moreover mating surfaces with sufficient contact area to keep
      the alignment stable particularly given the subsequent boat ride.

      This is a new mill which I'm trying to decide whether to keep and live with
      its limitations or return to Enco. And while they are obligated under
      existing warranty to bring this into "factory specifications(*)", I can't
      foresee the long term burden of keeping an RF-45 clone in tune. I'm trying
      to get some sense of this from those with experience owning this mill.

      (*) the factory test report is laughable. Every report I've seen for
      individual tolerance inspection of this mill has contained the exact same
      measurements, hand copied onto the sheet accompanying the respective mill.
      Enco didn't really have any comment when I pointed this out.