Re: [mill_drill] new article: Making a Dremel Drillpress (or "Feeding the Disease")

  • RedfieldRH@aol.com
    Message 1 of 21 , Jan 2, 2013
      Outstanding work and very inspirational! I do hope to get into casting some day any your video really makes it seem more doable.

      Thanks for sharing.

      Rick R

      From: RedfieldRH@... <RedfieldRH@...>
      To: mill_drill@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Tuesday, January 1, 2013, 6:22 PM

      A friend gave me an old, classic Craftsman drill press for use with hand drills. You know, the type you mount an electric hand drill in. I never throw good stuff away. Almost no one uses them for that purpose, but I have always saved it as it is well made, with beefy castings and a nice rack and pinion mechanism. It would be perfect for this, or perhaps a trim router for a heavier duty unit.

      Rick R

      Message 2 of 21 , Jan 2, 2013
        Coincidentally, I just had a major repair success. I recently had a total knee replacement and need regular therapy and exercise. Last summer we hauled home an expensive exercyle that (typical in our neighborhood) was just discarded at the curb. It was all electronic and the board was dead. It worked but the pedal effort was too hard and there was no external way to adjust it. I tore it apart and found the usual heavy cast iron flywheel driven by a flat multi-ribbed belt. The brake mechanism appeared obvious as there was a curved shoe mounted close to the flywheel with a cable to adjust. The cable went into a controller box with a little motor sticking out. Putting 9v on the motor would move the shoe but it would never touch the flywheel. I was stumped until I discovered the shoe was lined with magnets. It never touches, just comes close and sets up eddy currents in the flywheel!

        It was a simple matter to cross jumper wire a DPDT switch to reverse polarity and mount it on the main panel. It works great! I even have a momentary on-off-momentary on switch coming.

        Who needs, calories, miles, kilometers, watts, joules, angstroms, light-years or any other fancy electronic bells and whistles! I need to crank the darn pedals and work out. So this item was saved from being hauled out of the basement again and we use it daily.

        Rick R

        Message 3 of 21 , Jan 3, 2013

          Rick R,

          Your story warms my heart! It would have been easy to say that you could not fix the electronics so put the machine back out on the curb. But instead you changed the problem so it could be solved. Pure satisfaction J

          Thanks,

          Rick