RE: [mill_drill] new article: Making a Dremel Drillpress (or "Feeding the Disease")

  • Rick Sparber
    Message 1 of 21 , Jan 1, 2013

      When drilling circuit boards with these very tiny drills (really end mills), a sensitive drill press is essential. I tried to do it on my mill and it ate the drill. I tried it on my Gingery drill press and it sort of worked but the vibration was too much to accurately place the drill on the board. The Dremel works well.

      Rick

      From: RedfieldRH@... <RedfieldRH@...>
      To: mill_drill@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Tuesday, January 1, 2013, 6:22 PM

      A friend gave me an old, classic Craftsman drill press for use with hand drills. You know, the type you mount an electric hand drill in. I never throw good stuff away. Almost no one uses them for that purpose, but I have always saved it as it is well made, with beefy castings and a nice rack and pinion mechanism. It would be perfect for this, or perhaps a trim router for a heavier duty unit.

      Rick R

      Message 2 of 21 , Jan 1, 2013
        I have thought of something like that for PC Boards.
        Tiny drills want really high RPM.

        Regards

        cww

        Rick Sparber wrote:

        > This article shows how I build a drillpress which holds a Dremel
        > rotary tool. It is build onto a very nice machine given to me by Tom
        > Davis many years ago. This machine was just too good to toss yet I had
        > no idea what to do with it.
        >
        > I know many of you have this same “disease” – can’t toss anything. And
        > then when you discover the perfect use for the gadget, it just “feeds
        > the disease”.
        >
        > If you are interested, please see
        >
        > http://rick.sparber.org/drdp.pdf
        >
        > Your comments and questions are welcome. All of us are smarter than
        > any one of us.
        >
        > For the full index of my articles, see rick.sparber.org.
        >
        > Rick

      • Carl Hollopeter
        Message 3 of 21 , Jan 1, 2013
          Rick,
             Any idea what the original purpose was for this machine? Mainly, what would I call it if looking for one for myself?

          Carl H

          Sent: Tuesday, January 01, 2013 8:12 PM

          Rick R,

          I have heard of people also using these old machines as tapping stations. Certainly a keeper.

          Rick

          A friend gave me an old, classic Craftsman drill press for use with hand drills. You know, the type you mount an electric hand drill in. I never throw good stuff away. Almost no one uses them for that purpose, but I have always saved it as it is well made, with beefy castings and a nice rack and pinion mechanism. It would be perfect for this, or perhaps a trim router for a heavier duty unit.

          Rick R

        • Malcolm Parker-Lisberg
          Message 4 of 21 , Jan 2, 2013

            For those who haven't got a press to modify, you can always build one from scratch like mine, see:
            <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhlRkO0EcFo>

            Malcolm

            Mene, mene, tekel, upharsin
            The writing is on the wall.

            Message 5 of 21 , Jan 2, 2013
              Cww,

              A Dremel really works great at these speeds. The trick is to fixture it
              since you can't hand hold it and expect to drill a 0.75 mm hole.

              Message 6 of 21 , Jan 2, 2013

                Carl H,

                I have no idea what it was for. I think the logo reads Fischer instrumentation which is a medical instrument company. But they don’t sell anything like this right now.

                Sorry,

                Sent: Tuesday, January 01, 2013 8:12 PM

                Message 7 of 21 , Jan 2, 2013
                  Hi All,

                  I remember buying these items - the poor man's drill press.  It was a cheap attachment (a good one was remarkably well-built as compared to what we often see today.)

                  In any event - the standard pistol-grip hand drill was clamped in-place by a long U-bolt.  Again, it's a poor man's drill-press for hobby work.

                  For Dremel work - a differt version was made - the one I used for drilling PCBs had the drill fixed in-place and there was a side lever to raise the table.  It is amazing how fast one can work drill holes this way - carbide bits worked the best.

                  Kind regards,
                  DBN

                  Sent: Tuesday, January 01, 2013 8:12 PM

                  Message 8 of 21 , Jan 2, 2013
                    Hi Malcom,

                    Well-done and done well - THANKS!

                    Kind regards,
                    DBN

                    Message 9 of 21 , Jan 2, 2013

                      Malcolm,

                      A true work of art!

                      Thanks,

                      Rick

                      Message 10 of 21 , Jan 2, 2013
                        "Justify the Disease"

                        I just fixed the toilet with material from the saved scrap bin in the shop.

                        Bonus points for making the spouse happy without spending any money.

                        tel: +1 408 356-3886, USA toll free: 1 866 356-3886
                        Skype: jerrydurand
                      • Rick Sparber
                        Message 11 of 21 , Jan 2, 2013
                          Yup. Feeding the Disease. ;-)

                          How many people do you know that understand the word "replace" but not the word "repair"?

                          Message 12 of 21 , Jan 2, 2013
                            So now the King can sit on his throne!

                            Malcolm

                            Mene, mene, tekel, upharsin
                            The writing is on the wall.

                          • RedfieldRH@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 21 , Jan 2, 2013
                              Outstanding work and very inspirational! I do hope to get into casting some day any your video really makes it seem more doable.

                              Thanks for sharing.

                              Rick R

                              Message 14 of 21 , Jan 2, 2013
                                Coincidentally, I just had a major repair success. I recently had a total knee replacement and need regular therapy and exercise. Last summer we hauled home an expensive exercyle that (typical in our neighborhood) was just discarded at the curb. It was all electronic and the board was dead. It worked but the pedal effort was too hard and there was no external way to adjust it. I tore it apart and found the usual heavy cast iron flywheel driven by a flat multi-ribbed belt. The brake mechanism appeared obvious as there was a curved shoe mounted close to the flywheel with a cable to adjust. The cable went into a controller box with a little motor sticking out. Putting 9v on the motor would move the shoe but it would never touch the flywheel. I was stumped until I discovered the shoe was lined with magnets. It never touches, just comes close and sets up eddy currents in the flywheel!

                                It was a simple matter to cross jumper wire a DPDT switch to reverse polarity and mount it on the main panel. It works great! I even have a momentary on-off-momentary on switch coming.

                                Who needs, calories, miles, kilometers, watts, joules, angstroms, light-years or any other fancy electronic bells and whistles! I need to crank the darn pedals and work out. So this item was saved from being hauled out of the basement again and we use it daily.

                                Rick R

                                Message 15 of 21 , Jan 3, 2013

                                  Rick R,

                                  Your story warms my heart! It would have been easy to say that you could not fix the electronics so put the machine back out on the curb. But instead you changed the problem so it could be solved. Pure satisfaction J

                                  Thanks,

                                  Rick