Re: [mill_drill] new article: Making A Nice Looking Project Box

  • Dallas Richardson
    Message 1 of 22 , Jan 1, 2013
      Curt;
      Take a look at www.80/20.com

                        Flint Knapping;  The ART of making ammunition to suit yourself !!

                  " May we live to learn well, and to learn to live well.
                             May you live as long as you want, and never want as long as you live"

                                                                          Dallas

      Message 2 of 22 , Jan 1, 2013
        Philr,

        I have seen these two piece boxes but was looking for the type where you can
        cut off what you want and make any length box you want.

        Message 3 of 22 , Jan 1, 2013
          I didn't find plastic but Rose+Bopla has aluminum available. I should
          have mentioned that.
          http://www.electrostock.com/bop/bopbuild.htm

          On 01/01/2013 04:22 AM, Rick Sparber wrote:
          > Philr,
          >
          > I have seen these two piece boxes but was looking for the type where you can
          > cut off what you want and make any length box you want.
          >
          > Rick

          tel: +1 408 356-3886, USA toll free: 1 866 356-3886
          Skype: jerrydurand
        • Curt Wuollet
          Message 4 of 22 , Jan 1, 2013
            I've used a lot of 80/20 stuff for machine frames and robot
            enclosures and the like. handy, but really spendy. OK on
            a cost plus robot project, but not for out of pocket projects.
            I didn't know they did anything with boxes or chassis, but
            I'll take a look.

            Regards

            cww

          • Curt Wuollet
            Message 5 of 22 , Jan 1, 2013
              Yeah, I've used a lot of bud boxes and Hammond stuff too.
              Almost every automation project goes in a Hammond or
              similar enclosure. Lately, I've been using Automation Direct
              enclosures for paid projects. I need custom sizes and cheap.
              For my free PLC I need something 4x3x14 inches or so and
              for my small personal projects $25 to enclose $5 worth of
              electronics kinda breaks the budget. I have looked at the
              small bending brakes, but unemployed again, I hate to
              spend the money just now.

              Regards

              cww

              philr_77378 wrote:

              > You might look here. I think Mouser or Newark Electronics stock these.
              > Pretty economical mass produced project boxs.
              > http://www.hammondmfg.com/scpg.htm
              > http://www.newark.com/jsp/search/browse.jsp?N=2203+201852&Ntk=brand&Ntt=hammond+NOT+Power&Ntx=mode+matchboolean
              > <http://www.newark.com/jsp/search/browse.jsp?N=2203+201852&Ntk=brand&Ntt=hammond+NOT+Power&Ntx=mode+matchboolean>
              >
              > --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com
              > <mailto:mill_drill%40yahoogroups.com>, "Rick Sparber" <rgsparber@...>
              > wrote:
              > >
              > > Jerry,
              > >

              > > I like the idea of using extruded plastic. Are they still around?
              > >

              > > Rick
              > >

              > > From: mill_drill@yahoogroups.com
              > <mailto:mill_drill%40yahoogroups.com>

            • Rick Sparber
              Message 6 of 22 , Jan 2, 2013
                Cww,

                I'm sorry to hear that you are between jobs again. May the wait be very
                short this time!

                I used to make sheet metal enclosures using aluminum "coil". It is so soft I
                can hand wrap it around a block of wood to get a decent shape. It is
                pre-painted so looks good. It also cuts with scissors.

                Now that I have a finger brake made from scrap steel, I can form boxes from
                heavier stock. I cringe at those high prices for store bought enclosures.

                Peace,

                Message 7 of 22 , Jan 2, 2013
                  I read your finger brake article when you built it.
                  I haven't found a good scrapyard in this area yet.
                  They sell 18" bench brakes which would work
                  for channels. And yeah, I keep flashing steel
                  and aluminum around for little stuff, and even
                  for flashing. On the job scene, I'm getting a
                  bit disenchanted with the technology arena.
                  You spend a lifetime learning hard to keep
                  up and in the end nobody believes you could
                  possibly have current skills. Since the current
                  plan is for everyone to let the gov't take care
                  of them, I think we should all quit to bring the
                  dream to fruition:^).

                  Regards

                  cww

                  Rick Sparber wrote:

                  > Cww,
                  >
                  > I'm sorry to hear that you are between jobs again. May the wait be very
                  > short this time!
                  >
                  > I used to make sheet metal enclosures using aluminum "coil". It is so
                  > soft I
                  > can hand wrap it around a block of wood to get a decent shape. It is
                  > pre-painted so looks good. It also cuts with scissors.
                  >
                  > Now that I have a finger brake made from scrap steel, I can form boxes
                  > from
                  > heavier stock. I cringe at those high prices for store bought enclosures.
                  >
                  > Peace,
                  >
                  > Rick

                • Rick Sparber
                  Message 8 of 22 , Jan 2, 2013
                    Cww,

                    Here in Phoenix we are blessed with not just scrap yards, which I do not
                    visit, but also Industrial Metal Supply which sells drops. For not a lot of
                    money I can pick up 1 foot long pieces of steel and aluminum in all shapes.
                    They also have longer pieces up to 20 feet. All is of known composition.
                    There is no minimum. I spent $10 there a few days ago. On some items they
                    even give our metal club a discount.

                    Not that you want to teach, but I volunteered at our local Community College
                    for a while. Eventually they told me they didn't want me to volunteer
                    anymore. Instead they wanted to pay me. It is a lot easier to get a job when
                    they already know you and what you can do. Many interns get full time work
                    this way.

                    Message 9 of 22 , Jan 2, 2013
                      I've considered that, but when I last taught,
                      it was about everything but teaching electronics.
                      But, I might inquire and see if things have changed.
                      It would be a waste to become a Walmart greeter.

                      Regards

                      cww

                    • philr_77378@yahoo.com
                      Message 10 of 22 , Jan 2, 2013
                        You might try some of the smaller employers.  Some of them appreciate more experienced (code for older) workers.
                        Older workers often turn out to be more dependable with better attitudes, and a "lifetime of learning" comes in handy at resource challenged small businesses.  Short side of the deal is fewer employer supplied "benefits" and lower pay than the larger corporate types.  Places where you apply to the actual owner will get you more chances than the "Human Resources Department" at XYZ Corp.  Human Resources people seem more concerned  about having someone "fit the culture"(same age as other employees) and who are "building the career" (ambitious).  Many small business owners are older themselves and may identify with you on a personal level more if you are close to his age.  All this is said, assuming you are near a place with plenty of economic activity.  I live near Houston TX, and the economy is down but not desperate here at this time.  Oh yeah, maybe some of them will have a bit of work for your mill from time to time.
                        Phil R