Re: [mill_drill] new article: Making A Nice Looking Project Box

  • Jerry Durand
    Message 1 of 22 , Dec 31, 2012

      On 12/31/2012 1:02 PM, Rick Sparber wrote:

      Jerry,

      I like the idea of using extruded plastic. Are they still around?

      Rick

      Don't know, haven't seen them in a long time but I haven't looked for them either.

      tel: +1 408 356-3886, USA toll free: 1 866 356-3886
      Skype:  jerrydurand

    • Rexarino
      Message 2 of 22 , Dec 31, 2012
        Curt, I solder 2 pieces of 6" steel stud material open-face to open-face to make a box 4" x 5.5" x however long I need.  One piece of scrap from a drywaller has supplied me with all the boxes I need.  These solder best with lead solder and a flux like "TinsTiter" (made for old-time radiator repair).  I leave the boxes open ended, with screen covers, and the electronics inside stay cool.

        On the subject of steel studs, they make excellent trays for metal storage.  By intermixing both 4" and 6" scrap, you can stack them in creative ways.

        Rex

        On Mon, Dec 31, 2012 at 8:41 AM, Curt Wuollet <wideopen1@...> wrote:
        As a long time electronics type I have many times been faced with the
        need for
        boxes of various size and types as well as chassis back when things had
        chassis.
        Cost is always a factor with some enclosure prices getting prohibitive.
        Just lately
        I was scratching my head fot a housing for my FreePLC . And I need an outer
        housing for a reverb unit for my guitar amp. When you are looking,
        things take
        on new shapes. I saw steel studs at the local big box store. While not
        beautiful,
        they would save the steps hard to do without a brake. The run of the
        mill are
        pretty thin, but they make them in heavier gauges for
        industrial/commercial and
        they are pretty cheap. The rest of the pieces can be made with hand tools.

        Regards

        cww

        Rick Sparber wrote:

        > This article describes how to make a nice looking project box using
        > aluminum extrusions. No measurements are used. Everything is cut to
        > fit so it is a fun, relaxing project. I then used my new powder coat
        > system to cover all of those minor defects ;-)
        >
        > If you are interested, please see
        >
        > http://rick.sparber.org/acb.pdf
        >
        > Your comments and questions are welcome. All of us are smarter than
        > any one of us.
        >
        > Rick
        >
        > For the full index of my articles, see rick.sparber.org.

        <*> Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
            (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
            mill_drill-digest@yahoogroups.com
            mill_drill-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • philr_77378
        Message 3 of 22 , Dec 31, 2012
          You might look here. I think Mouser or Newark Electronics stock these. Pretty economical mass produced project boxs.
          http://www.hammondmfg.com/scpg.htm
          http://www.newark.com/jsp/search/browse.jsp?N=2203+201852&Ntk=brand&Ntt=hammond+NOT+Power&Ntx=mode+matchboolean

          --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Sparber" <rgsparber@...> wrote:

          > Jerry,
          >

          > I like the idea of using extruded plastic. Are they still around?
          >

          > Rick

        • Dallas Richardson
          Message 4 of 22 , Jan 1, 2013
            Curt;
            Take a look at www.80/20.com

                              Flint Knapping;  The ART of making ammunition to suit yourself !!

                        " May we live to learn well, and to learn to live well.
                                   May you live as long as you want, and never want as long as you live"

                                                                                Dallas

            Rick Sparber wrote:

            > This article describes how to make a nice looking project box using
            > aluminum extrusions. No measurements are used. Everything is cut to
            > fit so it is a fun, relaxing project. I then used my
            new powder coat
            > system to cover all of those minor defects ;-)
            >
            > If you are interested, please see
            >
            > http://rick.sparber.org/acb.pdf
            >
            > Your comments and questions are welcome. All of us are smarter than
            > any one of us.
            >
            > Rick
            >
            > For the full index of my articles, see rick.sparber.org.

            <*> Your email settings:
                Individual Email | Traditional

            <*> To change settings online go to:
                (Yahoo! ID required)

            <*> To change settings via email:
                mill_drill-digest@yahoogroups.com
                mill_drill-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • Rick Sparber
            Message 5 of 22 , Jan 1, 2013
              Philr,

              I have seen these two piece boxes but was looking for the type where you can
              cut off what you want and make any length box you want.

              Message 6 of 22 , Jan 1, 2013
                I didn't find plastic but Rose+Bopla has aluminum available. I should
                have mentioned that.
                http://www.electrostock.com/bop/bopbuild.htm

                On 01/01/2013 04:22 AM, Rick Sparber wrote:
                > Philr,
                >
                > I have seen these two piece boxes but was looking for the type where you can
                > cut off what you want and make any length box you want.
                >
                > Rick

                tel: +1 408 356-3886, USA toll free: 1 866 356-3886
                Skype: jerrydurand
              • Curt Wuollet
                Message 7 of 22 , Jan 1, 2013
                  I've used a lot of 80/20 stuff for machine frames and robot
                  enclosures and the like. handy, but really spendy. OK on
                  a cost plus robot project, but not for out of pocket projects.
                  I didn't know they did anything with boxes or chassis, but
                  I'll take a look.

                  Regards

                  cww

                • Curt Wuollet
                  Message 8 of 22 , Jan 1, 2013
                    Yeah, I've used a lot of bud boxes and Hammond stuff too.
                    Almost every automation project goes in a Hammond or
                    similar enclosure. Lately, I've been using Automation Direct
                    enclosures for paid projects. I need custom sizes and cheap.
                    For my free PLC I need something 4x3x14 inches or so and
                    for my small personal projects $25 to enclose $5 worth of
                    electronics kinda breaks the budget. I have looked at the
                    small bending brakes, but unemployed again, I hate to
                    spend the money just now.

                    Regards

                    cww

                    philr_77378 wrote:

                    > You might look here. I think Mouser or Newark Electronics stock these.
                    > Pretty economical mass produced project boxs.
                    > http://www.hammondmfg.com/scpg.htm
                    > http://www.newark.com/jsp/search/browse.jsp?N=2203+201852&Ntk=brand&Ntt=hammond+NOT+Power&Ntx=mode+matchboolean
                    > <http://www.newark.com/jsp/search/browse.jsp?N=2203+201852&Ntk=brand&Ntt=hammond+NOT+Power&Ntx=mode+matchboolean>
                    >
                    > --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com
                    > <mailto:mill_drill%40yahoogroups.com>, "Rick Sparber" <rgsparber@...>
                    > wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Jerry,
                    > >

                    > > I like the idea of using extruded plastic. Are they still around?
                    > >

                    > > Rick
                    > >

                    > > From: mill_drill@yahoogroups.com
                    > <mailto:mill_drill%40yahoogroups.com>

                  • Rick Sparber
                    Message 9 of 22 , Jan 2, 2013
                      Cww,

                      I'm sorry to hear that you are between jobs again. May the wait be very
                      short this time!

                      I used to make sheet metal enclosures using aluminum "coil". It is so soft I
                      can hand wrap it around a block of wood to get a decent shape. It is
                      pre-painted so looks good. It also cuts with scissors.

                      Now that I have a finger brake made from scrap steel, I can form boxes from
                      heavier stock. I cringe at those high prices for store bought enclosures.

                      Peace,

                      Message 10 of 22 , Jan 2, 2013
                        I read your finger brake article when you built it.
                        I haven't found a good scrapyard in this area yet.
                        They sell 18" bench brakes which would work
                        for channels. And yeah, I keep flashing steel
                        and aluminum around for little stuff, and even
                        for flashing. On the job scene, I'm getting a
                        bit disenchanted with the technology arena.
                        You spend a lifetime learning hard to keep
                        up and in the end nobody believes you could
                        possibly have current skills. Since the current
                        plan is for everyone to let the gov't take care
                        of them, I think we should all quit to bring the
                        dream to fruition:^).

                        Regards

                        cww

                        Rick Sparber wrote:

                        > Cww,
                        >
                        > I'm sorry to hear that you are between jobs again. May the wait be very
                        > short this time!
                        >
                        > I used to make sheet metal enclosures using aluminum "coil". It is so
                        > soft I
                        > can hand wrap it around a block of wood to get a decent shape. It is
                        > pre-painted so looks good. It also cuts with scissors.
                        >
                        > Now that I have a finger brake made from scrap steel, I can form boxes
                        > from
                        > heavier stock. I cringe at those high prices for store bought enclosures.
                        >
                        > Peace,
                        >
                        > Rick

                      • Rick Sparber
                        Message 11 of 22 , Jan 2, 2013
                          Cww,

                          Here in Phoenix we are blessed with not just scrap yards, which I do not
                          visit, but also Industrial Metal Supply which sells drops. For not a lot of
                          money I can pick up 1 foot long pieces of steel and aluminum in all shapes.
                          They also have longer pieces up to 20 feet. All is of known composition.
                          There is no minimum. I spent $10 there a few days ago. On some items they
                          even give our metal club a discount.

                          Not that you want to teach, but I volunteered at our local Community College
                          for a while. Eventually they told me they didn't want me to volunteer
                          anymore. Instead they wanted to pay me. It is a lot easier to get a job when
                          they already know you and what you can do. Many interns get full time work
                          this way.

                          Message 12 of 22 , Jan 2, 2013
                            I've considered that, but when I last taught,
                            it was about everything but teaching electronics.
                            But, I might inquire and see if things have changed.
                            It would be a waste to become a Walmart greeter.

                            Regards

                            cww

                          • philr_77378@yahoo.com
                            Message 13 of 22 , Jan 2, 2013
                              You might try some of the smaller employers.  Some of them appreciate more experienced (code for older) workers.
                              Older workers often turn out to be more dependable with better attitudes, and a "lifetime of learning" comes in handy at resource challenged small businesses.  Short side of the deal is fewer employer supplied "benefits" and lower pay than the larger corporate types.  Places where you apply to the actual owner will get you more chances than the "Human Resources Department" at XYZ Corp.  Human Resources people seem more concerned  about having someone "fit the culture"(same age as other employees) and who are "building the career" (ambitious).  Many small business owners are older themselves and may identify with you on a personal level more if you are close to his age.  All this is said, assuming you are near a place with plenty of economic activity.  I live near Houston TX, and the economy is down but not desperate here at this time.  Oh yeah, maybe some of them will have a bit of work for your mill from time to time.
                              Phil R