Re: [mill_drill] new article: Making A Nice Looking Project Box

  • RedfieldRH@aol.com
    Message 1 of 22 , Dec 31, 2012
      Great ideas all! Thanks! A finishing touch would be to notch the top plate to fit around the angle ends. It would be interesting to make them weatherproof, possibly with sealant on the inside as they are heavy gauge for the size.

      I am thinking of junction boxes for PV panel arrays.

      Rick R

      Message 2 of 22 , Dec 31, 2012
        On 12/31/2012 05:13 AM, Rick Sparber wrote:

        This article describes how to make a nice looking project box using aluminum extrusions. No measurements are used. Everything is cut to fit so it is a fun, relaxing project. I then used my new powder coat system to cover all of those minor defects ;-)

        A number of years ago a company I worked for sometimes used a line of box extrusions.  These were extruded plastic tubes with PC board guides in them.  Typically you cut off a length half as long as you wanted, set it on a non-stick surface and poured in some of the matching plastic.  When that cooled you made the other end of the box.  The two halves attached with clips.

        Of course there's always boxes made from single or double-sided PC board material soldered together.  Electrically shielded, fairly rugged, quick to make, any size you want.
        http://blog.makezine.com/2011/08/31/skill-builder-fabricating-project-boxes-from-pcb-cladding/
        tel: +1 408 356-3886, USA toll free: 1 866 356-3886
        Skype:  jerrydurand

      • Rick Sparber
        Message 3 of 22 , Dec 31, 2012
          Cww,

          I too have noticed those very nice and low cost steel studs. In the end I
          built a simple finger brake:

          http://rick.sparber.org/smfb.pdf

          Message 4 of 22 , Dec 31, 2012

            Rick R,

            I was shooting for a project that a “newbie” could do. Cutting that notch is a little advanced. On the other hand, I really do not like those corners. I could mill down the ends and make the cover longer. But I like how those ends holt the top in place. Decisions, decisions…

            Rick

            Message 5 of 22 , Dec 31, 2012
              Oh you succeeded admirably in that goal! Of course the gears in our heads are always turning. One idea spawns another, which leads to the next...

              Thus great things happen.

              Keep 'em coming!

              Message 6 of 22 , Dec 31, 2012

                Jerry,

                I like the idea of using extruded plastic. Are they still around?

                Rick

                --
                Jerry Durand, Durand Interstellar, Inc.  www.interstellar.com

                Message 7 of 22 , Dec 31, 2012

                  Yup, all of us are smarter than any one of us.

                  Rick

                  I was shooting for a project that a “newbie” could do. Cutting that notch is a little advanced. On the other hand, I really do not like those corners. I could mill down the ends and make the cover longer. But I like how those ends holt the top in place. Decisions, decisions…

                  Rick

                  Great ideas all! Thanks! A finishing touch would be to notch the top plate to fit around the angle ends. It would be interesting to make them weatherproof, possibly with sealant on the inside as they are heavy gauge for the size.

                  I am thinking of junction boxes for PV panel arrays.

                  Rick R

                • Jerry Durand
                  Message 8 of 22 , Dec 31, 2012

                    On 12/31/2012 1:02 PM, Rick Sparber wrote:

                    Jerry,

                    I like the idea of using extruded plastic. Are they still around?

                    Rick

                    Don't know, haven't seen them in a long time but I haven't looked for them either.

                    tel: +1 408 356-3886, USA toll free: 1 866 356-3886
                    Skype:  jerrydurand

                  • Rexarino
                    Message 9 of 22 , Dec 31, 2012
                      Curt, I solder 2 pieces of 6" steel stud material open-face to open-face to make a box 4" x 5.5" x however long I need.  One piece of scrap from a drywaller has supplied me with all the boxes I need.  These solder best with lead solder and a flux like "TinsTiter" (made for old-time radiator repair).  I leave the boxes open ended, with screen covers, and the electronics inside stay cool.

                      On the subject of steel studs, they make excellent trays for metal storage.  By intermixing both 4" and 6" scrap, you can stack them in creative ways.

                      Rex

                      Rick Sparber wrote:

                      > This article describes how to make a nice looking project box using
                      > aluminum extrusions. No measurements are used. Everything is cut to
                      > fit so it is a fun, relaxing project. I then used my new powder coat
                      > system to cover all of those minor defects ;-)
                      >
                      > If you are interested, please see
                      >
                      > http://rick.sparber.org/acb.pdf
                      >
                      > Your comments and questions are welcome. All of us are smarter than
                      > any one of us.
                      >
                      > Rick
                      >
                      > For the full index of my articles, see rick.sparber.org.

                      <*> Your email settings:
                          Individual Email | Traditional

                      <*> To change settings online go to:
                          (Yahoo! ID required)

                      <*> To change settings via email:
                          mill_drill-digest@yahoogroups.com
                          mill_drill-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                    • philr_77378
                      Message 10 of 22 , Dec 31, 2012
                        You might look here. I think Mouser or Newark Electronics stock these. Pretty economical mass produced project boxs.
                        http://www.hammondmfg.com/scpg.htm
                        http://www.newark.com/jsp/search/browse.jsp?N=2203+201852&Ntk=brand&Ntt=hammond+NOT+Power&Ntx=mode+matchboolean

                        --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Sparber" <rgsparber@...> wrote:

                        > Jerry,
                        >

                        > I like the idea of using extruded plastic. Are they still around?
                        >

                        > Rick

                      • Dallas Richardson
                        Message 11 of 22 , Jan 1, 2013
                          Curt;
                          Take a look at www.80/20.com

                                            Flint Knapping;  The ART of making ammunition to suit yourself !!

                                      " May we live to learn well, and to learn to live well.
                                                 May you live as long as you want, and never want as long as you live"

                                                                                              Dallas

                          Message 12 of 22 , Jan 1, 2013
                            Philr,

                            I have seen these two piece boxes but was looking for the type where you can
                            cut off what you want and make any length box you want.

                            Message 13 of 22 , Jan 1, 2013
                              I didn't find plastic but Rose+Bopla has aluminum available. I should
                              have mentioned that.
                              http://www.electrostock.com/bop/bopbuild.htm

                              On 01/01/2013 04:22 AM, Rick Sparber wrote:
                              > Philr,
                              >
                              > I have seen these two piece boxes but was looking for the type where you can
                              > cut off what you want and make any length box you want.
                              >
                              > Rick

                              tel: +1 408 356-3886, USA toll free: 1 866 356-3886
                              Skype: jerrydurand
                            • Curt Wuollet
                              Message 14 of 22 , Jan 1, 2013
                                I've used a lot of 80/20 stuff for machine frames and robot
                                enclosures and the like. handy, but really spendy. OK on
                                a cost plus robot project, but not for out of pocket projects.
                                I didn't know they did anything with boxes or chassis, but
                                I'll take a look.

                                Regards

                                cww

                              • Curt Wuollet
                                Message 15 of 22 , Jan 1, 2013
                                  Yeah, I've used a lot of bud boxes and Hammond stuff too.
                                  Almost every automation project goes in a Hammond or
                                  similar enclosure. Lately, I've been using Automation Direct
                                  enclosures for paid projects. I need custom sizes and cheap.
                                  For my free PLC I need something 4x3x14 inches or so and
                                  for my small personal projects $25 to enclose $5 worth of
                                  electronics kinda breaks the budget. I have looked at the
                                  small bending brakes, but unemployed again, I hate to
                                  spend the money just now.

                                  Regards

                                  cww

                                  philr_77378 wrote:

                                  > You might look here. I think Mouser or Newark Electronics stock these.
                                  > Pretty economical mass produced project boxs.
                                  > http://www.hammondmfg.com/scpg.htm
                                  > http://www.newark.com/jsp/search/browse.jsp?N=2203+201852&Ntk=brand&Ntt=hammond+NOT+Power&Ntx=mode+matchboolean
                                  > <http://www.newark.com/jsp/search/browse.jsp?N=2203+201852&Ntk=brand&Ntt=hammond+NOT+Power&Ntx=mode+matchboolean>
                                  >
                                  > --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com
                                  > <mailto:mill_drill%40yahoogroups.com>, "Rick Sparber" <rgsparber@...>
                                  > wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > > Jerry,
                                  > >

                                  > > I like the idea of using extruded plastic. Are they still around?
                                  > >

                                  > > Rick
                                  > >

                                  > > From: mill_drill@yahoogroups.com
                                  > <mailto:mill_drill%40yahoogroups.com>

                                • Rick Sparber
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Jan 2, 2013
                                    Cww,

                                    I'm sorry to hear that you are between jobs again. May the wait be very
                                    short this time!

                                    I used to make sheet metal enclosures using aluminum "coil". It is so soft I
                                    can hand wrap it around a block of wood to get a decent shape. It is
                                    pre-painted so looks good. It also cuts with scissors.

                                    Now that I have a finger brake made from scrap steel, I can form boxes from
                                    heavier stock. I cringe at those high prices for store bought enclosures.

                                    Peace,

                                    Message 17 of 22 , Jan 2, 2013
                                      I read your finger brake article when you built it.
                                      I haven't found a good scrapyard in this area yet.
                                      They sell 18" bench brakes which would work
                                      for channels. And yeah, I keep flashing steel
                                      and aluminum around for little stuff, and even
                                      for flashing. On the job scene, I'm getting a
                                      bit disenchanted with the technology arena.
                                      You spend a lifetime learning hard to keep
                                      up and in the end nobody believes you could
                                      possibly have current skills. Since the current
                                      plan is for everyone to let the gov't take care
                                      of them, I think we should all quit to bring the
                                      dream to fruition:^).

                                      Regards

                                      cww

                                      Rick Sparber wrote:

                                      > Cww,
                                      >
                                      > I'm sorry to hear that you are between jobs again. May the wait be very
                                      > short this time!
                                      >
                                      > I used to make sheet metal enclosures using aluminum "coil". It is so
                                      > soft I
                                      > can hand wrap it around a block of wood to get a decent shape. It is
                                      > pre-painted so looks good. It also cuts with scissors.
                                      >
                                      > Now that I have a finger brake made from scrap steel, I can form boxes
                                      > from
                                      > heavier stock. I cringe at those high prices for store bought enclosures.
                                      >
                                      > Peace,
                                      >
                                      > Rick

                                    • Rick Sparber
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Jan 2, 2013
                                        Cww,

                                        Here in Phoenix we are blessed with not just scrap yards, which I do not
                                        visit, but also Industrial Metal Supply which sells drops. For not a lot of
                                        money I can pick up 1 foot long pieces of steel and aluminum in all shapes.
                                        They also have longer pieces up to 20 feet. All is of known composition.
                                        There is no minimum. I spent $10 there a few days ago. On some items they
                                        even give our metal club a discount.

                                        Not that you want to teach, but I volunteered at our local Community College
                                        for a while. Eventually they told me they didn't want me to volunteer
                                        anymore. Instead they wanted to pay me. It is a lot easier to get a job when
                                        they already know you and what you can do. Many interns get full time work
                                        this way.

                                        Message 19 of 22 , Jan 2, 2013
                                          I've considered that, but when I last taught,
                                          it was about everything but teaching electronics.
                                          But, I might inquire and see if things have changed.
                                          It would be a waste to become a Walmart greeter.

                                          Regards

                                          cww

                                        • philr_77378@yahoo.com
                                          Message 20 of 22 , Jan 2, 2013
                                            You might try some of the smaller employers.  Some of them appreciate more experienced (code for older) workers.
                                            Older workers often turn out to be more dependable with better attitudes, and a "lifetime of learning" comes in handy at resource challenged small businesses.  Short side of the deal is fewer employer supplied "benefits" and lower pay than the larger corporate types.  Places where you apply to the actual owner will get you more chances than the "Human Resources Department" at XYZ Corp.  Human Resources people seem more concerned  about having someone "fit the culture"(same age as other employees) and who are "building the career" (ambitious).  Many small business owners are older themselves and may identify with you on a personal level more if you are close to his age.  All this is said, assuming you are near a place with plenty of economic activity.  I live near Houston TX, and the economy is down but not desperate here at this time.  Oh yeah, maybe some of them will have a bit of work for your mill from time to time.
                                            Phil R