3D printing

  • Jerry Durand
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 25, 2012
      A client asked me about 3D printing for short-run enclosures for their
      product. I said I didn't think any of the "personal" printers were up
      to making something you could hand to an end user without a lot of
      cleanup work to remove the supports and smooth out the jags.

      Has anyone found a small 3D printer that turns out items that are pretty
      much done? One that could be afforded by a small startup?

      By done, I mean minimal removal of supports and/or surface finishing.
      These would be small enclosures for lab/industrial test gear so they
      don't need to be iPretty but can't look like they were made with stone
      knives and bearskins either.

      tel: +1 408 356-3886, USA toll free: 1 866 356-3886
      Skype: jerrydurand
    • Steve D...
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 25, 2012
        On Tue, Dec 25, 2012 at 12:26 PM, Jerry Durand <jdurand@...> wrote:

        > A client asked me about 3D printing for short-run enclosures for their
        > product. I said I didn't think any of the "personal" printers were up
        > to making something you could hand to an end user without a lot of
        > cleanup work to remove the supports and smooth out the jags.

        Have you considered a MakerBot, or one of the other DIY 3D printers?
        I've been pretty impressed with the output quality of the new Makerbot
        Replicator 2.

        Steve D...

        Carpe Diem = Seize the day. Carp In Denim = Fish in pants.
      • Jerry Durand
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 25, 2012
          On 12/25/2012 09:55 PM, Steve D... wrote:
          > On Tue, Dec 25, 2012 at 12:26 PM, Jerry Durand <jdurand@...> wrote:
          >> A client asked me about 3D printing for short-run enclosures for their
          >> product. I said I didn't think any of the "personal" printers were up
          >> to making something you could hand to an end user without a lot of
          >> cleanup work to remove the supports and smooth out the jags.
          > Have you considered a MakerBot, or one of the other DIY 3D printers?
          > I've been pretty impressed with the output quality of the new Makerbot
          > Replicator 2.

          Looked at a couple, they seem to have a 0.2mm resolution which makes a
          pretty rough surface for a finished product.

          tel: +1 408 356-3886, USA toll free: 1 866 356-3886
          Skype: jerrydurand
        • Gary Crowell
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 26, 2012
            I'd take a look at a sample print before you dismiss it.  It still might not meet your needs, but some of it looks really good.

            Gary

            On Tue, Dec 25, 2012 at 11:03 PM, Jerry Durand <jdurand@...> wrote:

            On 12/25/2012 09:55 PM, Steve D... wrote:
            > On Tue, Dec 25, 2012 at 12:26 PM, Jerry Durand <jdurand@...> wrote:
            >> A client asked me about 3D printing for short-run enclosures for their
            >> product. I said I didn't think any of the "personal" printers were up
            >> to making something you could hand to an end user without a lot of
            >> cleanup work to remove the supports and smooth out the jags.
            > Have you considered a MakerBot, or one of the other DIY 3D printers?
            > I've been pretty impressed with the output quality of the new Makerbot
            > Replicator 2.

            Looked at a couple, they seem to have a 0.2mm resolution which makes a
            pretty rough surface for a finished product.

            tel: +1 408 356-3886, USA toll free: 1 866 356-3886
            Skype: jerrydurand

            Gary A. Crowell Sr., P.E., CID+
          • Jerry Durand

              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 26, 2012
                You could try http://www.shapeways.com

                I saw the CEO speak last summer.  They do nice work.

                Joe in New Orleans

                On Dec 26, 2012, at 12:58 PM, Jerry Durand <jdurand@...> wrote:

                I told my client to get samples from the better tabletop machines.  He's off to research.

                On 12/26/2012 10:29 AM, Gary Crowell wrote:
                I'd take a look at a sample print before you dismiss it.  It still might not meet your needs, but some of it looks really good.

                Gary

                tel: +1 408 356-3886, USA toll free: 1 866 356-3886
                Skype:  jerrydurand

              • Malcolm Parker-Lisberg
                Message 7 of 10 , Dec 26, 2012
                  Jerry

                  In the UK there are several universities that offer SLR and SLA services to small companies. I know one that offers a simple part run for $100.
                  <http://www.lboro.ac.uk/research/amrg/about/facilities.html>
                  Maybe there is a similar service offered in the US

                  Malcolm

                  Mene, mene, tekel, upharsin
                  The writing is on the wall.

                  Message 8 of 10 , Dec 26, 2012
                     The technology is changing like crazy right now. The Makerbot Replicator 2 claims 100 micron resolution.

                    From
                    https://store.makerbot.com/replicator2.html

                    "There’s a new standard in desktop 3D printing. Our fourth generation machine isn’t just our best, it’s the best desktop 3D printer on the market. With a resolution capability of 100 microns and a massive 410 cubic inch build volume, the MakerBot Replicator™ 2 Desktop 3D Printer is the easiest, fastest, and most affordable tool for making professional quality models. We set a new standard with our work, so that you can set a new standard with yours. Includes a 1 lb spool of Natural PLA filament."

                     I handled a beta Replicator 2 part a couple months ago. I was pretty impressed. I would love to have one around the house, but I'm waiting for a machine with "scaffolding".

                    Steve D...

                    Message 9 of 10 , Dec 26, 2012
                      On 12/26/2012 04:32 PM, Steve D... wrote:

                       The technology is changing like crazy right now. The Makerbot Replicator 2 claims 100 micron resolution.

                      From
                      https://store.makerbot.com/replicator2.html

                      I see the resolution is about twice as good as the ones I've seen, getting there.

                      I also notice that the hot-melt plastic for these seems awfully expensive.  For the Makerbot it's $48 + shipping insurance per kilo, that's over twice McMaster retail for acetal rod.
                      tel: +1 408 356-3886, USA toll free: 1 866 356-3886
                      Skype:  jerrydurand

                    • leasingham_connelly
                      Message 10 of 10 , Dec 27, 2012
                        There are new 3D printers based on digital light projectors (DLP) that look like they give a good result. It may be worth looking these up.

                        CNC cookbook site has been looking at them.

                        http://www.cnccookbook.com/CCHighResolutionDLP3DPrinter.html

                        Martin