Re: [mill_drill] OT Ricks Electronic Edge Finders.

  • MC Cason
    Message 1 of 17 , Dec 11, 2012
      On 12/11/2012 04:33 AM, Rick Sparber wrote:

      > Mark,
      >
      > Is that 5 testers total? Just curious.
      >
      > Rick

      That's 5 testers for the Model 1. I'm working on a list of 5 testers
      each, for the Model 1.5, and the Model 2. If everything looks good,
      I'll add a few more testers.

      --
      MC Cason
    • Dallas Richardson
      Message 2 of 17 , Dec 12, 2012
        Rick;
        I am like most every one else in the fact that I do enjoy getting some thing, or anything
        free but in the case I doubt if I would be a very good "Bata" tester because I don't know
        what I am doing.
        I also, don't know the difference in the two models other than the fact that one has more
        touch down Leeds than the other..

                          Flint Knapping;  The ART of making ammunition to suit yourself

                     "Don't  ask the question if you don't know what to do with the answer"                                                        Dallas

        Message 3 of 17 , Dec 12, 2012
          I would be happy to be a tester. I have a 10" Sheldon lathe with tapered roller bearings, a SB 9A with bronze bearings, and an Enco Mill-Drill with ball bearings.

          Rick Redfield

          Message 4 of 17 , Dec 12, 2012
            On 12/12/2012 10:52 AM, RedfieldRH@... wrote:

            > I would be happy to be a tester. I have a 10" Sheldon lathe with
            > tapered roller bearings, a SB 9A with bronze bearings, and an Enco
            > Mill-Drill with ball bearings.
            >
            > Rick Redfield

            Rick,

            Right now I pretty much have everybody I need. I'm just waiting for
            a few people to email me back.

            --
            MC Cason
          • RedfieldRH@aol.com
            Message 5 of 17 , Dec 12, 2012
              Very good and best of luck to all

              > I would be happy to be a tester. I have a 10" Sheldon lathe with
              > tapered roller bearings, a SB 9A with bronze bearings, and an Enco
              > Mill-Drill with ball bearings.
              >
              > Rick Redfield

              Rick,

              Right now I pretty much have everybody I need. I'm just waiting for
              a few people to email me back.

              --
              MC Cason

            • Rick Sparber
              Message 6 of 17 , Dec 12, 2012
                Understood.

                Thanks,

                Rick

                On Dec 12, 2012, at 12:05 PM, MC Cason <farmerboy1967@...> wrote:

                > On 12/12/2012 10:52 AM, RedfieldRH@... wrote:
                >>
                >> I would be happy to be a tester. I have a 10" Sheldon lathe with
                >> tapered roller bearings, a SB 9A with bronze bearings, and an Enco
                >> Mill-Drill with ball bearings.
                >>
                >> Rick Redfield
                >
                > Rick,
                >
                > Right now I pretty much have everybody I need. I'm just waiting for
                > a few people to email me back.
                >

                > --
                > MC Cason

              • chucketn
                Message 7 of 17 , Dec 12, 2012
                  I hope I'm still on the list. I have an X2 mill. I think there was to be a later version for this mill?

                  Chuck
                • Rick Sparber
                  Message 8 of 17 , Dec 12, 2012
                    Chuck,

                    Although my LEEF (Lathe Electronic Edge Finder) was designed to solve the problem of detecting touchdown on a lathe, it will work on a mill. However, you can already buy a low tech EEF that is just a simply continuity tester. That cirdcuit fits inside a tool that goes into the spindle. My intension is not to compete with it.

                    The advantage of using the LEEF on a mill is that you can leave the end mill in place. The challenge comes in when the reference surface is thinner than one wrap of the flute. For example, if your end mill flute takes 1/2" to wrap all the way around but your reference surface is 1/8", then you might have the end mill rotated in such a way that it misses the flute all together and hits the body. You can change out the end mill for a piece of drill rod but at that point, why not just use the low tech EEF?

                    The one place where the LEEF does work well with any end mill is when detecting touchdown on the Z axis. I have a YouTube video on that one. Search on rgsparber1.

                    Questions?

                    Rick