Way cover

  • Jerry Durand
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 21, 2012
      The way cover on my 20 year old RF cracked, what's the best fabric to
      replace it with or is there a good place to get an actual replacement?

      This is the cover that goes from the column to the slide, it's got one
      hump up in the middle so two valleys. It looks to be a sheet of
      rubber-like material.

      tel: +1 408 356-3886, USA toll free: 1 866 356-3886
      Skype: jerrydurand
    • Art Eckstein
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 21, 2012
        I went to my local "gasket" supplier and bought some "red rubber"
        gasket material 1/16" thick and made a new one. $5 worth gave me a good supply.

        Art
        Country Bubba

        At 06:53 PM 11/21/2012, you wrote:
        >The way cover on my 20 year old RF cracked, what's the best fabric to
        >replace it with or is there a good place to get an actual replacement?
        >
        >This is the cover that goes from the column to the slide, it's got one
        >hump up in the middle so two valleys. It looks to be a sheet of
        >rubber-like material.
        >
        >--
        >Jerry Durand, Durand Interstellar, Inc. www.interstellar.com
        >tel: +1 408 356-3886, USA toll free: 1 866 356-3886
        >Skype: jerrydurand
      • Jerry Durand
        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 21, 2012
          Thanks. I was also thinking of oilcloth but didn't know if there was
          something better.

          On 11/21/2012 04:25 PM, Art Eckstein wrote:
          > I went to my local "gasket" supplier and bought some "red rubber"
          > gasket material 1/16" thick and made a new one. $5 worth gave me a good supply.
          >
          > Art
          > Country Bubba

          tel: +1 408 356-3886, USA toll free: 1 866 356-3886
          Skype: jerrydurand
        • Curt Wuollet
          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 21, 2012
            Mine fell apart during the recent move into the basement.
            I spotted a "Flexible Cutting Board" at Walmart out of some
            tough slick plastic for a couple dollars. Put accordian folds
            in it and bolted it on. Works well and compresses better than
            the original rubber item which is why it broke.

            Regards

            cww

            Jerry Durand wrote:

            > The way cover on my 20 year old RF cracked, what's the best fabric to
            > replace it with or is there a good place to get an actual replacement?
            >
            > This is the cover that goes from the column to the slide, it's got one
            > hump up in the middle so two valleys. It looks to be a sheet of
            > rubber-like material.
            >
            > --
            > Jerry Durand, Durand Interstellar, Inc. www.interstellar.com
            > tel: +1 408 356-3886, USA toll free: 1 866 356-3886
            > Skype: jerrydurand

          • Jerry Durand
            Message 5 of 14 , Nov 21, 2012
              That sounds like an excellent idea.

              On 11/21/2012 04:33 PM, Curt Wuollet wrote:
              > Mine fell apart during the recent move into the basement.
              > I spotted a "Flexible Cutting Board" at Walmart out of some
              > tough slick plastic for a couple dollars. Put accordian folds
              > in it and bolted it on. Works well and compresses better than
              > the original rubber item which is why it broke.
              >

              > Regards
              >
              > cww

              tel: +1 408 356-3886, USA toll free: 1 866 356-3886
              Skype: jerrydurand
            • Rick Sparber
              Message 6 of 14 , Nov 21, 2012
                I went to Office Max and bought plastic file folders. They are just the
                right width and the fold is in the right place. You can see one here:

                http://rick.sparber.org/Articles/mde/mde.pdf

                first picture.

                They last about 2 or 3 years and I think the package had 10 in it.

                Message 7 of 14 , Nov 21, 2012

                  I remember someone using a rubber floor mat from  a car

                    Message 9 of 14 , Nov 21, 2012
                      Might as well through in my $.02 worth!   Shower stall unerlayment sold at Home Depot by the foot;  cheap, about 1/16 thick, light gray, 48" wide (I think), smooth finish, and synthetic rubber or vinyl-like.  It worked great on my lathe to protect the ways.
                                                                                                       Bill

                      Message 10 of 14 , Nov 22, 2012
                        Hi Bill,

                        Thanks for the reminder.  I've seen the material, rather nice, many applications.

                        Kind regards,
                        DBN

                        Message 11 of 14 , Nov 22, 2012

                          I used the rubber shower liner that you can get at the big box stores.  It is  normally gray but it is reasonably priced.

                          Keith

                        • Windshield Repair
                          Message 12 of 14 , Nov 22, 2012

                            I used a piece of matting from a used treadmill track “I was given the old treadmill for free and used all kinds of stuff from it”.
                          • Rexarino
                            Message 13 of 14 , Nov 24, 2012
                              If you have a store selling pond liner (EPDM, UV stabilized, same as roofing system material) you may find it at half the price of the big box stores, and available in widths to 50 feet - for that "large" lathe in the back of the shop...   ;-)

                              Rex

                              Message 14 of 14 , Nov 26, 2012
                                On 11/21/2012 06:58 PM, rwc24908@... wrote:
                                Might as well through in my $.02 worth!   Shower stall unerlayment sold at Home Depot by the foot;  cheap, about 1/16 thick, light gray, 48" wide (I think), smooth finish, and synthetic rubber or vinyl-like.  It worked great on my lathe to protect the ways.

                                I picked up some "Shower Pan Liner" at Home Depot and it looks like really nice stuff.  Made of PVC, about $5.50 for 4 square feet (1' x 4'), but the guy was generous when he cut it.  He liked the idea of using it for a way cover, got him thinking of other uses (he also does work in a theater, I gave him one of our cards).