Re: [mill_drill] Re: hss vs carbide

  • Bill
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 1, 2012

    I do more work with alloy and hardened steels, and mostly use carbide insert tooling.

    But….for profile cutting, such as oil & grease grooves, snap-ring and o-ring grooves, I generally use HSS. Buying all the different sizes & configurations I need would get pretty spendy. HSS is cheap, and easy to make my own cutter that will suits the job at hand. Gotta slow down compared to what you can do with carbide, and coolant or oil are important, but that’s OK with me.

    Attached pics are of a custom HSS tool, and the test run for a prism mounting shaft, to check my tool grinding. Material is 4140 Q&T, about 32 Rc.

    I built two dozen of ‘em, and never needed a regrind. Slow….and some Enco No 1 cutting fluid.

    Bill