Re: [mill_drill] Re: Looking for the "extras"

  • Tom P
    Message 1 of 22 , Sep 29, 2012
      Thanks, everyone. I will definitely skip the R-8 collets. And Larry, I'm
      glad you like Glacern as the GSV-440 is the vise I had pretty much decided
      on.

      TomP

      On Fri, 28 Sep 2012, Larry wrote:

      > I've had good luck with Glacern. Nice tolerance and resonable price. Yes and go with the er25 or 32 collets. If you get a er25 set youll have most you need, the only other chuck I use is a 3/4".
      >

      > --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "leasingham_connelly" <martin@...> wrote:
      >>
      >> I second this.
      >>
      >> Martin
      >>
      >> --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "n5kzw" <n5kzw@> wrote:
      >>>
      >>> My advice would be to go easy on the R-8 collets and opt instead for an R-8 ER-32 collet holder and collets. They grip much better than the R-8 collets and can be used to hold end mills. I use a Weldon end mill holder when I can, but have no qualms about using ER-32 collets when I don't have a suitable Weldon holder. You may need some larger R-8 collets for stuff that won't fit in an ER-32, but don't try putting end mills in them.
      >>>
      >>> Regards,
      >>> Ed

    • Larry
      Message 2 of 22 , Oct 1, 2012
        Hey I think Shars has identical vises to the Glacern for less. Am I wrong?

        --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, Tom P <tomp@...> wrote:

        > Thanks, everyone. I will definitely skip the R-8 collets. And Larry, I'm
        > glad you like Glacern as the GSV-440 is the vise I had pretty much decided
        > on.
        >

        > TomP
        >
        > On Fri, 28 Sep 2012, Larry wrote:
        >

        > > I've had good luck with Glacern. Nice tolerance and resonable price. Yes and go with the er25 or 32 collets. If you get a er25 set youll have most you need, the only other chuck I use is a 3/4".
        > >

        > > --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "leasingham_connelly" <martin@> wrote:
        > >>
        > >> I second this.
        > >>
        > >> Martin

      • Druid Noibn
        Message 3 of 22 , Oct 1, 2012
          Hi,

          In a quick phrase - I doubt it.

          There are many manufacturers of this style of vise - some are works of art, some are workable and others scrap.

          Kind regards,
          DBN

          Hey I think Shars has identical vises to the Glacern for less. Am I wrong?

          --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, Tom P <tomp@...> wrote:

          > Thanks, everyone. I will definitely skip the R-8 collets. And Larry, I'm
          > glad you like Glacern as the GSV-440 is the vise I had pretty much decided
          > on.
          >

          > TomP
          >
          > On Fri, 28 Sep 2012, Larry wrote:
          >

          > > I've had good luck with Glacern. Nice tolerance and resonable price. Yes and go with the er25 or 32 collets. If you get a er25 set youll have most you need, the only other chuck I use is a 3/4".
          > >

          > > --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "leasingham_connelly" <martin@> wrote:
          > >>
          > >> I second this.
          > >>
          > >> Martin

        • Jerome Kimberlin
          Message 4 of 22 , Oct 1, 2012
            On 10/1/2012 10:19 AM, Larry wrote:
            > Hey I think Shars has identical vises to the Glacern for less. Am I wrong?

            Probably wrong. Just check the specs. Glacern actually has them, Shars ??

            JerryK
          • curtisleo@leo-tech.com
            Message 5 of 22 , Oct 1, 2012
              I'm following this thread since I am looking for some R8 collets. With
              many recommending ER25, I looked around as well. I've seen a few R8 to
              ER25 adapters. If I'm understanding it correctly, the ER25 has a better
              grip on the end mill correct? Any other pros/cons to stay with R8?

              Thanks,
              Curtis

              On Fri, September 28, 2012 12:22 pm, Larry wrote:

              > I've had good luck with Glacern. Nice tolerance and resonable price. Yes
              > and go with the er25 or 32 collets. If you get a er25 set youll have most
              > you need, the only other chuck I use is a 3/4".
              >

              > --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "leasingham_connelly" <martin@...>
              > wrote:
              >

              >> I second this.
              >>

              >> Martin
              >>

              >> --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "n5kzw" <n5kzw@> wrote:
              >>

              >>> My advice would be to go easy on the R-8 collets and opt instead for
              >>> an R-8 ER-32 collet holder and collets. They grip much better than
              >>> the R-8 collets and can be used to hold end mills. I use a Weldon
              >>> end mill holder when I can, but have no qualms about using ER-32
              >>> collets when I don't have a suitable Weldon holder. You may need
              >>> some larger R-8 collets for stuff that won't fit in an ER-32, but
              >>> don't try putting end mills in them.
              >>>
              >>> Regards,
              >>> Ed

            • Druid Noibn
              Message 6 of 22 , Oct 1, 2012
                Hi Curtis,

                The "ER" series of collets have far greater gripping are than the R8 or the 5C series. Also they have a greater "range" i.e., more compliance so some folks buy the metric set and it covers a greater range.

                With all that said - why do you need a set of R8?  If it simply for the mill, then consider the use, i.e., how many different sizes of end mills will you use?  Not many I'll bet.

                Next point - as for gripping power one is best served by using end-mill holders sold by many folks.  I don't wish to start a flamming war <smile> there are folks who use collets and other end-mill holders - I have both and then to use the R8 collets.

                IF...you plan on agressing milling - high power, large end-mills - use the end-mill holders.

                If just using the system as a part of your hobby - the R8 work well and the ER series a tad better but you need an R8 to ER holder.

                Kind regards,
                DBN

              • curtisleo@leo-tech.com
                Message 7 of 22 , Oct 1, 2012
                  Thanks for the writeup. My experience is using R8 collets with a full size
                  Bridgeport. The sizes I used are 1/8, 1/4, 1/2", 3/4". Yes, it's just a
                  hobby at home now.

                  Curtis

                • Paul
                  Message 8 of 22 , Oct 1, 2012
                    I use both R8 and ER40 collets on my SX3 size mill (I can only afford import "extras" for most of my requirements, so I can't attest to any increased quality for the high end stuff, especially when used with an import mill). I actually started with the ER40 but since the first import collet holder I obtained seemed to have excessive runout, I got some R8 collets which were much better (Shars). I later got a MariTool R8 to ER40 collet holder which is also an import but must be made to much better specifications than some, although it still has about .001 runout as compared to the R8 collets (using the R8 to ER40 tool holder there are two tapered mating surfaces rather than one when using the R8 collets). Although the ER collets do hold better I have no problem with the R8 for most setups and gain the extra distance to the table that the ER holder takes up. There is also a smaller distance to the milling head (less leverage, possibility making things more rigid). Anyway, as I said I use the R8 collets which are quicker and seem OK for most setups. I now have complete sets of both, and I also use the ER40 collets in a chuck on my SC4 lathe.

                    Paul H.

                    --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, curtisleo@... wrote:

                    > I'm following this thread since I am looking for some R8 collets. With
                    > many recommending ER25, I looked around as well. I've seen a few R8 to
                    > ER25 adapters. If I'm understanding it correctly, the ER25 has a better
                    > grip on the end mill correct? Any other pros/cons to stay with R8?
                    >
                    > Thanks,
                    > Curtis
                    >
                    > On Fri, September 28, 2012 12:22 pm, Larry wrote:
                    > >

                    > > I've had good luck with Glacern. Nice tolerance and resonable price. Yes
                    > > and go with the er25 or 32 collets. If you get a er25 set youll have most
                    > > you need, the only other chuck I use is a 3/4".
                    > >

                    > > --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "leasingham_connelly" <martin@>
                    > > wrote:
                    > >

                    > >> I second this.
                    > >>

                    > >> Martin

                  • Druid Noibn
                    Message 9 of 22 , Oct 1, 2012
                      Hi,

                      It might best to save your $$ for more fun stuff and buy a few R-8 collets and/or a set of end-mill holders.

                      I do have both, but the R8 collets sit nicely in their rack and I grab the one needed when needed - BUT... I only do hobby work, so I'm not pushing the machine.

                      Kind rgards,
                      DBN

                      Thanks for the writeup. My experience is using R8 collets with a full size
                      Bridgeport. The sizes I used are 1/8, 1/4, 1/2", 3/4". Yes, it's just a
                      hobby at home now.

                      Curtis

                      On Mon, October 1, 2012 12:04 pm, Druid Noibn wrote:
                      > Hi Curtis,
                      >
                      > The "ER" series of collets have far greater gripping are than the R8 or
                      > the 5C series. Also they have a greater "range" i.e., more compliance so
                      > some folks buy the metric set and it covers a greater range.
                      > With all that said - why do you need a set of R8?  If it simply for
                      > the mill, then consider the use, i.e., how many different sizes of end
                      > mills will you use?  Not many I'll bet.
                      > Next point - as for gripping power one is best served by using end-mill
                      > holders sold by many folks.  I don't wish to start a flamming war
                      > <smile> there are folks who use collets and other end-mill holders - I
                      > have both and then to use the R8 collets.
                      > IF...you plan on agressing milling - high power, large end-mills - use the
                      > end-mill holders.
                      > If just using the system as a part of your hobby - the R8 work well and
                      > the ER series a tad better but you need an R8 to ER holder.
                      > Kind regards,
                      > DBN
                      >

                      > --- On Mon, 10/1/12, curtisleo@... <curtisleo@...>
                      > wrote:
                      >

                      > From: curtisleo@... <curtisleo@...>
                      > Subject: Re: [mill_drill] Re: Looking for the 'extras'
                      > To: mill_drill@yahoogroups.com
                      > Date: Monday, October 1, 2012, 2:54 PM
                      >

                      > I'm following this thread since I am looking for some R8 collets. With
                      > many recommending ER25, I looked around as well. I've seen a few R8 to ER25
                      > adapters. If I'm understanding it correctly, the ER25 has a better grip on
                      > the end mill correct? Any other pros/cons to stay with R8?
                      >
                      > Thanks,
                      > Curtis
                      >

                      > On Fri, September 28, 2012 12:22 pm, Larry wrote:
                      >

                      >> I've had good luck with Glacern. Nice tolerance and resonable price.
                      >> Yes
                      >> and go with the er25 or 32 collets. If you get a er25 set youll have
                      >> most you need, the only other chuck I use is a 3/4".
                      >>

                      >> --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "leasingham_connelly" <martin@...>
                      >> wrote:
                      >>

                      >>> I second this.
                      >>>

                      >>> Martin

                    • Carl Hollopeter
                      Message 10 of 22 , Oct 1, 2012
                        Larry,
                           Not familiar with the Glacern Vise but, I have the 6” vise from Shars, excellent quality, can’t really tell any difference from the Kurt I used at the Tech School.

                        Carl H

                        --- In mailto:mill_drill%40yahoogroups.com, Tom P <tomp@...> wrote:

                        > Thanks, everyone. I will
                        definitely skip the R-8 collets. And Larry, I'm
                        > glad you like Glacern as
                        the GSV-440 is the vise I had pretty much decided
                        > on.
                        >

                        > TomP
                        >
                        > On Fri, 28 Sep 2012, Larry wrote:
                        >

                        > > I've had good luck with Glacern. Nice tolerance and
                        resonable price. Yes and go with the er25 or 32 collets. If you get a er25 set youll have most you need, the only other chuck I use is a 3/4".

                        > > --- In

                        second this.

                        href="mailto:mill_drill%40yahoogroups.com">mailto:mill_drill%40yahoogroups.com, "n5kzw" <n5kzw@> wrote:

                        advice would be to go easy on the R-8 collets and opt instead for an R-8 ER-32 collet holder and collets. They grip much better than the R-8 collets and can be used to hold end mills. I use a Weldon end mill holder when I can, but have no qualms about using ER-32 collets when I don't have a suitable Weldon holder. You may need some larger R-8 collets for stuff that won't fit in an ER-32, but don't try putting end mills in them.

                        Regards,

                        In mailto:mill_drill%40yahoogroups.com, Tom P <tomp@> wrote:

                        Folks -
                        several "extras" I will need to get as well. I am

                        looking for opinions on some of the following products - I prefer made in
                        holders
                        anyone has suggestions for decent quality items that won't break
                        anyone has opinions on the following mobile bases, I would like
                        JMB-UMB-HD
                        50-278

                        TomP

                        ------------------------------------

                        > > Yahoo! Groups
                        Links

                      • leasingham_connelly
                        Message 11 of 22 , Oct 2, 2012
                          There are always pros and cons to weigh up. I have a full set of R8 metric collets (2mm to 20mm) complete with morse taper collets. I also have an R8 drill chuck and R8 to ER32 collet chuck with a full set of metric collets (2mm to 20mm). I use the ER32 collets most of the time because then there is no need to loosen off the drawbar, clout the end of it with a suitable tool, complete the drawbar removal and then when the next R8 collet/tool is in place re-tighten the drawbar whilst stopping the spindle from rotating. The ER32 collets on the other hand loosen off when the nose ring is loosened and are quick to swap for another size. Most of the ER32 collet holders have flats for holding it steady when the nose ring is loosened or tightened but if not they are easy to add. ER collets will grip a very short part of the shank of a drill without slipping if you need that extra bit of reach with a drill.

                          So why keep the R8 collets? Well my machine is a round column one. If I need more room for a tool I can take out the ER collet holder and replace it with R8 and gain a couple of inches more headroom over the workpiece without loosing registration. Also sometimes (yesterday for example) I sometimes need to use a morse taper shank drill. The R8 morse taper collets comes in very handy for this, it beats turning the morse taper shank down to a parallel shank to fit an ER collet or drill chuck because they tend to be longer drills where the extra headroom is needed anyway.

                          I can't remember the last time I used a drill chuck in the mill.

                          Hope this helps with your tooling wish list.

                          Current job is tooling for a CNC pipe bending machine. I will post a photo of the bend die for interested parties.

                          Martin

                        • RedfieldRH@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 22 , Oct 2, 2012
                            I agree with everything stated here (I use both) and would add one more advantage to R-8 collets: rigidity. The collet and cutter fit well up into the spindle and minimize chatter for heavier cuts.

> [...]

                            > > wrote:
                            > >

                            > > From: curtisleo@... <curtisleo@...>
                            > > Subject: Re: [mill_drill] Re: Looking for the 'extras'
                            > > To: mill_drill@yahoogroups.com
                            > > Date: Monday, October 1, 2012, 2:54 PM
                            > >

                            > > I'm following this thread since I am looking for some R8 collets. With
                            > > many recommending ER25, I looked around as well. I've seen a few R8 to ER25
                            > > adapters. If I'm understanding it correctly, the ER25 has a better grip on
                            > > the end mill correct? Any other pros/cons to stay with R8?
                            > >
                            > > Thanks,
                            > > Curtis
                            > >

                            > > On Fri, September 28, 2012 12:22 pm, Larry wrote:
                            > >

                            > >> I've had good luck with Glacern. Nice tolerance and resonable price.
                            > >> Yes
                            > >> and go with the er25 or 32 collets. If you get a er25 set youll have
                            > >> most you need, the only other chuck I use is a 3/4".

                          • leasingham_connelly
                            Message 13 of 22 , Oct 2, 2012
                              Photo of bend die is in folder ER32. Following turning and boring of the centre register and hole it was mounted on a vertical rotary table and the remaining surfaces were machined with tooling held in ER32 collets. The finish may look striped by the small diameter tool used but it is only because of the lighting, the washer is in the photo so you can see its reflection to give an idea of the surface finish achieved. I quick rub on abrasive would give a uniform finish if required.

                              Martin
                            • Mar
                              Message 14 of 22 , Nov 6, 2012
                                CTCtools sells inexpensive, decent quality ER collets and chucks - about $65 + shipping for a full ER25 set and chuck.

                                I got by for a long time with a homemade MT3 3/8" end mill holder with a 3/16 sleeve for the smaller mills.

                                http://www.ctctools.biz/servlet/StoreFront
                              • Jerry Durand
                                Message 15 of 22 , Nov 7, 2012
                                  On 11/06/2012 10:46 PM, Mar wrote:
                                  > CTCtools sells inexpensive, decent quality ER collets and chucks - about $65 + shipping for a full ER25 set and chuck.
                                  >
                                  > I got by for a long time with a homemade MT3 3/8" end mill holder with a 3/16 sleeve for the smaller mills.
                                  >
                                  > http://www.ctctools.biz/servlet/StoreFront

                                  Watch the shipping, I made my order bigger so the shipping didn't hurt
                                  as much.

                                  tel: +1 408 356-3886, USA toll free: 1 866 356-3886
                                  Skype: jerrydurand