RE: [mill_drill] New VFD/Motor, Where To Mount?

  • Dan
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 3, 2002

      Paul:

      What, from whom, and for how much did you buy the VFD?  I’m looking for one, too…

      -Dan

      Green Bay

      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 4, 2002
        Paul,

        Full understanding for your weak moment. I had a few too, in fact for every machine I have except the large milling one.
        Here none of the VFDs is troubling on a chest of drawers, a shelve or anything. I all hanged them on the wall in the neighbourhood of the concerned machine.

        What I did is a remote control of the start/stop, direction change and the speed setting in smaller plastic boxes with a magnet at the back so that I can put it close to where I stand for the particular work I am doing. It is very convenient and also safe in case the machine has to be emergency stopped. That the beauty of the VFD too. A TPTT (3pole triple throw) switch, a potentiometer and a small 6 wires cable, it is all you need.

        On my large wooden lathe I even wired mini relays and the start and stop are large push buttons instead of the switch. I wired them so that I cannot reverse the rotation of the spindle as long as it is switched on in one of the directions. With larger chucks being only screwed onto the spindle, I do not like the possibility to see it flying out when reversing the sense of rotation.

        Much pleasure with your speed control. You won' t miss it once you have used it.

        Jean-Claude, Switzerland

        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 4, 2002
          Dan,
               While you're waiting to hear from Paul, I bought my Mitsubishi S500 Series VFD from http://www.vfds.com/, for $250, and had them ship to me, using my Fedex account number. When I called first, they quoted $308, which was more than Mitsubishi quoted on their web site. I complained about the price, and they cut it to $250. It's really slick, in a box about 5" X 5" X  4 1/4", and very easy to hook up.

          Marv Frankel
          Los Angeles

          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 4, 2002
            Dan,
                  Here's an update to my previous message. There's a guy referred to on ebay, who has a quantity of 2 HP VFD's, at a "buy now" of $246. Contact him at srelaed@... .

            Marv Frankel (again)
            Los Angeles

            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 4, 2002

              Thanks, Marv!

              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 4, 2002
                Paul - You have a note about a magnetic starter

                "I'm planning on mounting the magnetic starter"

                and I am wondering if this is going to act as an on/off switch to the
                VFD. I am sure you are aware that putting it after the VDF is a bad
                idea. Don't know it is the "proper" thing to do but I hooked mine to
                its own curcuit breaker and leave it on all the time.

                Andy
              • Paul R. Hvidston
                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 4, 2002
                  Dan,

                  I got the "2 HP Internet Special" from Dealers Electric,
                  http://www.dealerselectric.com/ for $385.00. You might be able to do better
                  scrounging up a used VFD and motor, but make sure you get instructions for
                  the VFD and that the motor is rated for inverter duty. Anyway, it's a fair
                  price for a good VFD and motor. The VFD is from TECO/Westinghouse, comes
                  with documentation, and since I was pretty impressed with the 1 HP package I
                  got from them for my 9" South Bend lathe, I felt comfortable ordering this
                  one. The motor is from Marathon, but was made in China -- oh well. It's a
                  TENV (Totally Enclosed Non-Ventilated) motor w/o a fan at the back, so I'll
                  have to watch the temperature rise on the motor to see if I need to put a
                  fan on it. It has heat sink fins on its circumference so maybe it will stay
                  cool on its own.

                  Having had experience with the TECO/Westinghouse VFD's, I felt it was
                  desirable having the same type of controller for both machines -- easier to
                  learn and configure one type, rather than two. As soon as it arrived, I
                  hooked it up on the bench and fired it up. The motor runs nice and smooth
                  and quiet and configuration is a snap. There's a rubber disk at the base of
                  the motor shaft that will protect the bearing from crud when running
                  spindle-up.

                  I've got the 220 outlet wired up behind the mill/drill and am going to mount
                  the magnetic starter box and VFD before I bore out the pulley and swap
                  motors. That way I'll be able to use the mill right up to the last moment
                  before the conversion is complete. I'll buy some good quality Gates belts
                  just to make sure everything is running as smooth as possible.

                  Cheers!

                  Paul R. Hvidston, N6MGN
                  ACKSYS Engineering
                  Upland, CA

                  > What, from whom, and for how much did you buy the VFD? I'm looking for
                  > one, too.
                  >
                  > -Dan
                  > Green Bay

                • leasingham_connelly
                  Message 8 of 12 , Aug 5, 2002
                    You wrote:
                    > On my large wooden lathe I even wired mini relays and the start and
                    stop are large push buttons instead of the switch. I wired them so
                    that I cannot reverse the rotation of the spindle as long as it is
                    switched on in one of the directions. With larger chucks being only
                    screwed onto the spindle, I do not like the possibility to see it
                    flying out when reversing the sense of rotation.

                    My bit:

                    My VFD from Transwave (UK supplier) has ramp up and ramp down
                    settings. This allows you to control how fast the motor accelerates
                    up or down from stationary to running speeds. This means you can
                    switch direction from full speed and it will not spin the chuck off
                    the mount. It has the advantage that by having a long ramp up setting
                    the chuck makes at least one rev at a low speed before running up to
                    full speed, a very safe way to check everything is clear every time
                    you start a job. If it stops the VFD detects a stall and shuts it
                    down. I have my VFD mounted on the wall above and behind my lathe
                    away from flying liquids and debris. The forward/off/reverse is
                    operated by the original 3 phase lever operated switch on the front
                    of the lathe. Speed control is by use of a potentiometer with a large
                    numbered dial mounted in a bracket attached to the wall at a
                    convenient operating point. The wiring from the VFD to the switch and
                    the pot are only running at 5V dc.

                    The mains supply to my VFD is fed through a non-latching Residual
                    Current Device (RCD or Earth Leakage Circuit Breaker as they used to
                    be called). In the event of power failure this trips off and has to
                    be manualy reset. This does the job of a mag switch and also adds the
                    safety feature of tripping off in the event of an electrical problem
                    that could result in a lethal shock. It is too easy to damage cables
                    when there are hot, sharp and heavy items near them.
                  • SMITH, THOMAS B. (JSC-DX14) (NASA)
                    Message 9 of 12 , Aug 5, 2002
                      Paul,

                      I installed a 2HP VFD on my Grizzly (same as RF, HF, etc) about a year ago.
                      The motor was a direct replacement for the old one, except for boring out
                      the pulley, as you said. I decided I wanted the VFD display in an easy
                      reach spot so I mounted the box for the VFD to the head of the mill (in the
                      back by the motor) and remotely mounted the digital display in the front
                      where the start stop switch was.

                      Mine was a Teco unit and they sell a remote mounting kit, but I just used a
                      ribbon cable extension (put it inside braided shielding) display instead of
                      paying the $80 for the kit. It took some doing, but now all the controls
                      are right up front and easy to access. I have some photos I can provide
                      when I get home, if you remind me.

                      Attaching the VFD to the head made for easy wiring between the VFD, the
                      controls on the front, and the motor.

                      Tom