Looking for Jet-16 Mill/Drill Owners - many questions

  • Bill Wetzel
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 20 9:34 AM
      I just acquired a 1986 Jet-16 Mill/Drill (table 9 3/8" x 23 1/2"). I'm
      hoping to find an owner or two who can answer many questions I have
      about it. As a point of reference I also have a Pratt & Whitney Bench
      Mill and a Van Norman Model 1/2 but very little experience with any of them.

      1) On my other mills I always lock the axes that I'm not actively
      moving. There are no locks on the Jet-16 table but there are two
      adjustment screws on each table axis for gib wear which I could replace
      with locking handles. Have you ever had a need to lock the table? Is
      your backlash so little that the table doesn't jump when changing the
      direction of cut?

      2) What is the backlash on each of your three axes?

      3) My Pratt & Whitney has a tab for locking the spindle when tightening
      / loosening collets. I can find none on the Jet-16. How do you prevent
      the spindle from turning when tightening the collet?

      4) One recommendation for tightening collets suggested 1/4 turn after
      the drawbar snugs up. In your experience is this adequate for holding
      end mills such that they don't climb out of the collet or should I
      always use end mill holders instead of collets?

      5) The head of the Jet-16 is locked to the column by three bolts. Two of
      the bolts have conventional nuts - the other is tightened with a wheel
      with three holes for a handle much like the quill handles. When do you
      tighten all three? When do you leave the nuts loose and tighten only the
      hand wheel?

      6) The pulley on the main spindle is about 1/4" too low and is not
      aligned with the idler pulleys and motor pulley. I resolved this with a
      shim on the taper where the spindle and pulley meet. Have you had this
      problem? Do you have another solution?

      7) I can find no reference mark for the micrometer dial on the
      cross-feed. There is one on the right side of the long feed. And yes, I
      have scraped the paint down to bare metal in the region where I would
      expect it to be. Is this the case with your Jet-16?

      8) The mill included two handles, 6" long x 3/8" dia, with red balls on
      the end. These look like small versions of the quill handles. I can find
      no place for them and wonder if they are interlopers from another tool.
      Do you have such handles? What are they for?

      9) Please describe the handle(s) (length, diameter, ball) that you use
      to tighten the head to column.

      Thanks much,
      Bill Wetzel

      Bill Wetzel 732-530-1128
      615 Little Silver Point Road wrwetzel@...
      Little Silver, NJ 07739 sip:8979@... (thats 8wrw)
      40.33762n 74.01879w http://www.flickr.com/photos/wrwetzel/
    • Roger Gunsmith
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 20 10:38 AM
        Hi Bill,
        You sure have come to the right place for help. These guys got me up and running with my Jet 16. When I get back to my other computer I'll send you a manual.

        Defend Freedom - Defend America - Defeat Obama!
        VOTE NOVEMBER 6th

        Roger Ezell
        Roger's Gunsmithing
        4753 Pea Ridge Rd.
        Maryville TN 37804-3926
        Ph. (865) 980-5998

        Don't corner somethin' that would normally run from you

[...]

        615 Little Silver Point Road mailto:wrwetzel%40fastmail.fm
        Little Silver, NJ 07739 sip:mailto:8979%40wrwetzel.com (thats 8wrw)

      • curtisleo@leo-tech.com
        Message 4 of 11 , Sep 20 2:18 PM
          I have been looking for a mill for quite a few years. I just happen to
          stumble upon a Y.M.G TS-32 Mill. I picked it up for $500. It had a
          bridgeport vice mounted on it already. I plan on getting it powered up
          tonight. I do need to get some R8 collets.

          I've been searching all over the net and can't find a manual for this
          model. Anyone have any technical specs for this?

          Thanks,
          Curtis
        • Bill Wetzel
          Message 5 of 11 , Sep 24 7:03 AM
            My thanks to those who helped me with answers and a manual.
            Bill

            Bill Wetzel                    732-530-1128
            615 Little Silver Point Road   wrwetzel@...
            Little Silver, NJ 07739        sip:8979@... (thats 8wrw)
            40.33762n 74.01879w            http://www.flickr.com/photos/wrwetzel/
            							   http://about.me/bill.wetzel
          • danlincol
            Message 6 of 11 , Nov 1, 2012
              Bill, I have a Jet 16 and a couple of manuals. Dan Coleman
              --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, Bill Wetzel <wrwetzel@...> wrote:

              > My thanks to those who helped me with answers and a manual.
              > Bill
              >

              > --
              > Bill Wetzel 732-530-1128
              > 615 Little Silver Point Road wrwetzel@...
              > Little Silver, NJ 07739 sip:8979@... (thats 8wrw)
              > 40.33762n 74.01879w http://www.flickr.com/photos/wrwetzel/
              > http://about.me/bill.wetzel

            • danlincol
              Message 7 of 11 , Feb 12, 2013
                Your 6 x 3/8 handles (8) are for the wheel to tighten the head to the column. The two bolts (5) are snug, just letting the head move when the third is loosened. (1) I'm thinking about doing something to lock mine. Let me know what you do. If I ever take it apart, a third hole might become an option. Dan

                --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, Bill Wetzel wrote:

                > I just acquired a 1986 Jet-16 Mill/Drill (table 9 3/8" x 23 1/2"). I'm
                > hoping to find an owner or two who can answer many questions I have
                > about it. As a point of reference I also have a Pratt & Whitney Bench
                > Mill and a Van Norman Model 1/2 but very little experience with any of them.
                >
                > 1) On my other mills I always lock the axes that I'm not actively
                > moving. There are no locks on the Jet-16 table but there are two
                > adjustment screws on each table axis for gib wear which I could replace
                > with locking handles. Have you ever had a need to lock the table? Is
                > your backlash so little that the table doesn't jump when changing the
                > direction of cut?
                >
                > 2) What is the backlash on each of your three axes?
                >
                > 3) My Pratt & Whitney has a tab for locking the spindle when tightening
                > / loosening collets. I can find none on the Jet-16. How do you prevent
                > the spindle from turning when tightening the collet?
                >
                > 4) One recommendation for tightening collets suggested 1/4 turn after
                > the drawbar snugs up. In your experience is this adequate for holding
                > end mills such that they don't climb out of the collet or should I
                > always use end mill holders instead of collets?
                >
                > 5) The head of the Jet-16 is locked to the column by three bolts. Two of
                > the bolts have conventional nuts - the other is tightened with a wheel
                > with three holes for a handle much like the quill handles. When do you
                > tighten all three? When do you leave the nuts loose and tighten only the
                > hand wheel?
                >
                > 6) The pulley on the main spindle is about 1/4" too low and is not
                > aligned with the idler pulleys and motor pulley. I resolved this with a
                > shim on the taper where the spindle and pulley meet. Have you had this
                > problem? Do you have another solution?
                >
                > 7) I can find no reference mark for the micrometer dial on the
                > cross-feed. There is one on the right side of the long feed. And yes, I
                > have scraped the paint down to bare metal in the region where I would
                > expect it to be. Is this the case with your Jet-16?
                >
                > 8) The mill included two handles, 6" long x 3/8" dia, with red balls on
                > the end. These look like small versions of the quill handles. I can find
                > no place for them and wonder if they are interlopers from another tool.
                > Do you have such handles? What are they for?
                >
                > 9) Please describe the handle(s) (length, diameter, ball) that you use
                > to tighten the head to column.
                >
                > Thanks much,
                > Bill Wetzel
                >
                > --
                > Bill Wetzel 732-530-1128
                > 615 Little Silver Point Road wrwetzel@...
                > Little Silver, NJ 07739 sip:8979@... (thats 8wrw)
                > 40.33762n 74.01879w http://www.flickr.com/photos/wrwetzel/

              • Dustin Keys
                Message 8 of 11 , Feb 12, 2013
                  I also have a Jet 16, unfortunately I can't answer all of you questions because I don't know them myself.  I received this mill last summer and I'm interested in many of your questions as well.

                  1.)  When I need to lock the table, I snug up the hex head screws on the axis I want locked.  I only have 1 on my Y axis.  I'm thinking about replacing the screws with some handles as I have seen on newer mill/drills.  I have so much backlash these table can move quite a bit.  My question is, are these supposed to be gib adjustment screws?  I assumed the adjustment for the gib was achieved by turning the flat head tapered gib adjusters at the end of each axis.  I don't understand why these would be adjustment screws as the machine already has tapered gibs.

                  2.) I can't remember exactly, but I want to say mine is between .010 and .020.

                  5.) I shimmed my column with the two nuts tight and the hand wheel tight.  Anytime I want to lock the head, I tighten all three fasteners.  I didn't even think about leaving the two bolts snug as Dan suggested.  I'll have to do some tests and see how much the head sags compared to having all three fasteners tight.

                  6.)  I haven't noticed that problem with mine but I'll take a closer look tonight.

                  7.)  I don't have a reference mark on any of my dials.  Kinda silly if you ask me.  It hasn't been much of an issue as I put a Shumatec DRO on it right away.

                  9.)  The handle I use was homemade and about 6 inches long.  I might make a longer one as I don't get my leverage with it.

                  Dustin
                  Portland, Oregon

                • hooya10_4
                  Message 9 of 11 , Feb 13, 2013
                    --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, Bill Wetzel wrote:

                    > 2) What is the backlash on each of your three axes?

                    Backlash - .011" in X, .01" in Y. Z backlash is negligible due to the return spring.

                    > 4) One recommendation for tightening collets suggested 1/4 turn after
                    > the drawbar snugs up. In your experience is this adequate for holding
                    > end mills such that they don't climb out of the collet or should I
                    > always use end mill holders instead of collets?

                    These are relatively light duty mills. IMHO, any job with enough vibration to suck an end mill out of a collet has pushed the performance envelope too far.
                    I wouldn't recommend dedicated EM holders. These bench top mills don't have too much rigidity. I think an R-8 collet will allow you to choke up with the least overhang better than a dedicated EM holder.

                    > 5) The head of the Jet-16 is locked to the column by three bolts. Two of
                    > the bolts have conventional nuts - the other is tightened with a wheel
                    > with three holes for a handle much like the quill handles. When do you
                    > tighten all three? When do you leave the nuts loose and tighten only the
                    > hand wheel?

                    I always tighten all three. I recall a Bridgeport which would never hold positional tolerance.
                    Problem solved when somebody casually leaned against it & the entire ram moved, cuz someone forgot to tighten the bolts. :-)

                    > 7) I can find no reference mark for the micrometer dial on the
                    > cross-feed. There is one on the right side of the long feed. And yes, I
                    > have scraped the paint down to bare metal in the region where I would
                    > expect it to be. Is this the case with your Jet-16?

                    On mine, XY&Z all have scribed zero marks.

                    > 9) Please describe the handle(s) (length, diameter, ball) that you use
                    > to tighten the head to column.

                    Red plastic ball 1.250 dia.- Steel rod OAL 7 1/2", .558"dia., straight turned 375" dia. .890 long to fit into column nut spanner , other end appears to be threaded 1/2-13 to fit plastic ball.

                  • Rexarino
                    Message 10 of 11 , Feb 13, 2013

                      snip

                      > > 4) One recommendation for tightening collets suggested 1/4 turn after
                      > > the drawbar snugs up. In your experience is this adequate for holding
                      > > end mills such that they don't climb out of the collet or should I
                      > > always use end mill holders instead of collets?
                      >
                      > These are relatively light duty mills. IMHO, any job with enough vibration to suck an end mill out of a collet has pushed the performance envelope too far.
                      > I wouldn't recommend dedicated EM holders. These bench top mills don't have too much rigidity. I think an R-8 collet will allow you to choke up with the least overhang better than a dedicated EM holder.

                      I have had an endmill creep out of a collet and ruin 2 hours work - because light cuts take longer and provide more opportunity for the endmill to creep.  I now only use dedicated EM holders without difficulty - and I can take heavier cuts.

                      There is always one side that says "use collets" and another that says "EM holders".  You get to choose what to do on your machine.

                      Rex

                    • philr_77378
                      Message 11 of 11 , Feb 14, 2013
                        I have never had an end mill holder spoil work.  Only when I was using a collet.  Sometimes you need to use a collet if there is not enough spindle clearance to the work.  When you do use a collet, make sure the id of the collet and the end mill are clean and dry.  Make sure the id of the spindle taper is clean and lubricated, to get maximum squeeze onto the dry end mill.  I know its subjective, but do not over tighten, if it's an R8 collet.
                        Phil