RF31 (round Column ) CNC ball screw driven quill

  • dmauch@seanet.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 5, 2012
      About 12 years ago I modified my RF31 Tawain built mill drill quill drive. The reason was simple it came stock with .020" vertical play. I took the mechnaism apart and mofified the pinion shaft and installed two eccentric bushing to remove the slop between the pinion and the rack. I also had to modify the fine feed worm wheel housing to reduce the slop in it. When done I had about .002 backlash. That was a good design back then but was probably beyond the capabilities of some owners.
      Fast forward to now where I removed the Quill Position indicator indicator and installed a 3/4 thick cast aluminum plate under the power frame head body and the feed base. The plate holds a radial ball bearing
      two thrust bearings, a stepper motor, a 42 tooth pulley and the ballscrew and ball nut. In this case the ball nut rotates and drives the ballscrew up and down. One end of the ball nut is attached to the inverted feed base on the quill. A 270 oz in stepper motor with a 2.8/1 ratio timing belt drive rotates the ballnut which drives the quill up and down. A check with my dial indicator show zero backlash.
      I hope to make a video of it in operation in the next few days.Time permitting.
      I have seen other designs wher ethey simply drive the fine feed shaft with a stepper motors but don't do anything about the vertical slop in the quill. I guess they have to write their G code to add a M06 so they can lock and unlock the quill
      I have only seen one other design that uses a ballscrew on the quill of a RF31. That design is very nice but has 38 parts. My design has only
      3/4" plate
      1"ID radial bearing
      2 1" ID needle thrust bearings
      5/8 inch ball nut
      timing belt pulley 42T
      ballnut transfer hub
      ball screw .2 pitch
      270 oz on stepper motor
      4 spacers
      quill base extension
      fasteners
      Speed using a G540 driver is about 45 IPM.
      I also modified my XY axis ballscrew drive by removing the existing stepper motor mou8nts and installing a direct drive. Using a 465 oz in Nema 34 motor I can get 200 IPM in rapid moves.
      Dan Mauch
      WWW.camtronics-cnc.com
      dmauch@...
      low cost stepper motor systems using Gecko Drive products
    • jdkmlw
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 5, 2012
        You posted this at a good time, I'm working on one of these Tawain built machines right now.
        Just using temporary stepper motor mounts right now and I'm just hooking up to the original Z feed until I figure out how I want to do a better setup, and then you posted this. Perfect timing or what?

        I think someone modified the stock Z setup like you said, it has very little play that you can't see by eye balling it.

        Looking forward to see what you came up with
      • peter mcvey
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 5, 2012
          Same here  I have been scouring the internet for a source and ideas on how to convert my ZAY 7032 mill
          to cnc control  This post is perfectly timed as my head is spinning with all the options--steppers, servos, ball screws, etc  and then we have not even gotten into software and drivers Please Continue

          Peter

        • dmauch@seanet.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 8, 2012
            Here is the video of the ballscrew driven z axis

            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-SMbBvqwmE&feature=youtu.be

            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 8, 2012
              --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, dmauch@... wrote:

              > Here is the video of the ballscrew driven z axis
              >
              > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-SMbBvqwmE&feature=youtu.be

              Thank you very much for posting the video
              I like that, seems fairly simple and I'm going to basically copy that.

              The ball nut transfer hub, is that one of those things that's like a flange that threads onto the ball nut?

              Did you just use one ball nut, any backlash issues?
            • jdkmlw
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 8, 2012
                --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, peter mcvey <llm73at141@...> wrote:

                > Same here  I have been scouring the internet for a source and ideas on how to convert my ZAY 7032 mill
                > to cnc control  This post is perfectly timed as my head is spinning with all the options--steppers, servos, ball screws, etc  and then we have not even gotten into software and drivers Please Continue
                >
                > Peter

                Peter, maybe you might want to start a thread/topic, I'm working on converting one now and will try to help with basic info, but don't want to hijack his thread
              • Corey Renner
                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 8, 2012
                  Nicely done Dan.  The VMC8 that I've got uses the exact same setup, except that it's pivoted about the quill lock 180deg.  This puts the ballscrew and motor inside the hollow center of the head casting (ballnut and motor are at the top).  So the installation is a little neater, but it's the exact  same  mechanism.  Works great.

                  cheers,