harbor freight mill/drill ( big red )

  • eulerw@bellsouth.net
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 26, 2012
      BIG RED, HAS A #2 MT. UNABLE TO REMOVE DRILL AND TAPER FROM UNIT. THIS UNIT IS IN BRAND NEW STATE, BUT IT SAT FOR YEARS WITH DRILL HEAD IN IT.
      PLEASE ASSIST ME IN THIS. I AM ALSO LOOKING FOR AN OWNER,S MANUAL AND A PARTS BREAKDOWN.
      THANKS FOR ANY HELP YOU MAY GIVE ME.
      THE MODEL IS #03989

      THANKS FROM AN OLD, OLD RETIRED SUBMARINE CHIEF.
      WAYNE EULER
    • November X-Ray
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 27, 2012
        If this is a mill, does it have a draw bar? If so, remove the drawbar and squirt some penetrating oil in the drawbar hole. Then either re-install the drawbar for several thread make ups but not tight and take a brass mallet and give it a couple of good whacks downward. You may have to make some wedges to place between the spindle and the chuck and squeeze these together along with a couple of taps on the drawbar.

        Good Luck!

        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 27, 2012
          There's a Yahoo group for that mill and the manual is in the "Files" section.

          Hope this helps.

          Ed

          --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "eulerw@..." <eulerw@...> wrote:

          > BIG RED, HAS A #2 MT. UNABLE TO REMOVE DRILL AND TAPER FROM UNIT. THIS UNIT IS IN BRAND NEW STATE, BUT IT SAT FOR YEARS WITH DRILL HEAD IN IT.
          > PLEASE ASSIST ME IN THIS. I AM ALSO LOOKING FOR AN OWNER,S MANUAL AND A PARTS BREAKDOWN.
          > THANKS FOR ANY HELP YOU MAY GIVE ME.
          > THE MODEL IS #03989
          >
          > THANKS FROM AN OLD, OLD RETIRED SUBMARINE CHIEF.
          > WAYNE EULER

        • foxiedog87g
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 27, 2012
            hello ed,
            the mill/drill info. you stated for the hf unit, they are there alright, but they are all comming downloaded in chinese. where have i messed up??????

            --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "mn_metalbutcher" <metalbutcher@...> wrote:

            > There's a Yahoo group for that mill and the manual is in the "Files" section.

            > Hope this helps.
            >
            > Ed
            >
            > --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "eulerw@" <eulerw@> wrote:
            > >
            > > BIG RED, HAS A #2 MT. UNABLE TO REMOVE DRILL AND TAPER FROM UNIT. THIS UNIT IS IN BRAND NEW STATE, BUT IT SAT FOR YEARS WITH DRILL HEAD IN IT.
            > > PLEASE ASSIST ME IN THIS. I AM ALSO LOOKING FOR AN OWNER,S MANUAL AND A PARTS BREAKDOWN.
            > > THANKS FOR ANY HELP YOU MAY GIVE ME.
            > > THE MODEL IS #03989
            > >
            > > THANKS FROM AN OLD, OLD RETIRED SUBMARINE CHIEF.
            > > WAYNE EULER

          • Bill
            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 27, 2012
            HERE'S THE MANUAL....   BILL

            --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "eulerw@..." <eulerw@...> wrote:

            > BIG RED, HAS A #2 MT. UNABLE TO REMOVE DRILL AND TAPER FROM UNIT. THIS UNIT IS IN BRAND NEW STATE, BUT IT SAT FOR YEARS WITH DRILL HEAD IN IT.
            > PLEASE ASSIST ME IN THIS. I AM ALSO LOOKING FOR AN OWNER,S MANUAL AND A PARTS BREAKDOWN.
            > THANKS FOR ANY HELP YOU MAY GIVE ME.
            > THE MODEL IS #03989
            >
            > THANKS FROM AN OLD, OLD RETIRED SUBMARINE CHIEF.
            > WAYNE EULER

          • foxiedog87g
            Message 6 of 13 , Aug 27, 2012
              hi bill and ed,
              all i get in the files is chinese. why i do not know, can some email me a copy in english??? i have sprayed it well several times,
              thanks much
              wayne
              --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, Bill <NPWBill@...> wrote:

              > HERE'S THE MANUAL.... BILL
              > >

              > > --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com
              > > <mailto:mill_drill%40yahoogroups.com>, "eulerw@" <eulerw@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > BIG RED, HAS A #2 MT. UNABLE TO REMOVE DRILL AND TAPER FROM UNIT.
              > > THIS UNIT IS IN BRAND NEW STATE, BUT IT SAT FOR YEARS WITH DRILL HEAD
              > > IN IT.
              > > > PLEASE ASSIST ME IN THIS. I AM ALSO LOOKING FOR AN OWNER,S MANUAL
              > > AND A PARTS BREAKDOWN.
              > > > THANKS FOR ANY HELP YOU MAY GIVE ME.
              > > > THE MODEL IS #03989
              > > >
              > > > THANKS FROM AN OLD, OLD RETIRED SUBMARINE CHIEF.
              > > > WAYNE EULER

            • mn_metalbutcher
              Message 7 of 13 , Aug 28, 2012
                Wayne,

                I don't know what's going on. They are both in English for me. Send me your email address and I'll email the file to you and see if that works.

                Ed

                --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "foxiedog87g" <eulerw@...> wrote:

                > hi bill and ed,
                > all i get in the files is chinese. why i do not know, can some email me a copy in english??? i have sprayed it well several times,
                > thanks much
                > wayne
                > --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, Bill <NPWBill@> wrote:
                > >
                > > HERE'S THE MANUAL.... BILL
                > > >

                > > > --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com

                > > > THIS UNIT IS IN BRAND NEW STATE, BUT IT SAT FOR YEARS WITH DRILL HEAD
                > > > IN IT.
                > > > AND A PARTS BREAKDOWN.

              • foxiedog87g
                Message 8 of 13 , Aug 28, 2012
                  hello bill,
                  i have no trouble with email, i would appreciate it very much. this computer is set for english, i must figure out why the chinese.
                  my email is eulerw@...
                  thanks much,
                  wayne

                  --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "mn_metalbutcher" <metalbutcher@...> wrote:

                  > Wayne,
                  >
                  > I don't know what's going on. They are both in English for me. Send me your email address and I'll email the file to you and see if that works.
                  >
                  > Ed
                  >
                  > --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "foxiedog87g" <eulerw@> wrote:
                  > >

                  > > hi bill and ed,
                  > > all i get in the files is chinese. why i do not know, can some email me a copy in english??? i have sprayed it well several times,
                  > > thanks much
                  > > wayne
                  > > --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, Bill <NPWBill@> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > HERE'S THE MANUAL.... BILL

                • Druid Noibn
                  Message 9 of 13 , Aug 28, 2012
                    Hi,

                    Just to add to the mystery - The file downloaded pefectly here, no "greeking"  or other languages.

                    Kind regards,
                    DBN

                  • js1160@yahoo.com
                    Message 10 of 13 , Aug 28, 2012
                      File is not Chinese, nor Greek, nor Spanish, nor Computerise.  It is an Adobe Acrobat file.

                      You don't have the correct reader in your computer so even if someone emails it to you, you'll still be confused.  Go and download the reader.

                      i have no trouble with email, i would appreciate it very much. this computer is set for english, i must figure out why the chinese.
                      my email is eulerw@...
                      thanks much,
                      wayne

                      --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "mn_metalbutcher" <metalbutcher@...> wrote:

                      > Wayne,
                      >
                      > I don't know what's going on. They are both in English for me. Send me your email address and I'll email the file to you and see if that works.
                      >
                      > Ed
                      >
                      > --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "foxiedog87g" <eulerw@> wrote:
                      > >

                      > > hi bill and ed,
                      > > all i get in the files is chinese. why i do not know, can some email me a copy in english??? i have sprayed it well several times,
                      > > thanks much
                      > > wayne
                      > > --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, Bill <NPWBill@> wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > HERE'S THE MANUAL.... BILL

                    • Jerry Durand
                      Message 11 of 13 , Aug 28, 2012
                        We use Foxit Reader, not Adobe.  Nice features without all the trash Adobe adds.
                        http://www.foxitsoftware.com/downloads/

                        On 08/28/2012 08:38 AM, js1160@... wrote:
                        File is not Chinese, nor Greek, nor Spanish, nor Computerise.  It is an Adobe Acrobat file.

                        You don't have the correct reader in your computer so even if someone emails it to you, you'll still be confused.  Go and download the reader.

                        tel: +1 408 356-3886, USA toll free: 1 866 356-3886
                        Skype:  jerrydurand

                      • foxiedog87g
                        Message 12 of 13 , Aug 28, 2012
                          ed, jerry and bill,
                          finally got rid of the chinese stuff, adobe did the trick. i appreciate the help i have recived from group member concerning hf big red. i thought for awhile that i would have to take a class to learn chinese.
                          thanks all.
                          wayne ( in tn )

                          --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "mn_metalbutcher" <metalbutcher@...> wrote:

                          > Wayne,
                          >
                          > I don't know what's going on. They are both in English for me. Send me your email address and I'll email the file to you and see if that works.
                          >
                          > Ed
                          >
                          > --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "foxiedog87g" <eulerw@> wrote:
                          > >

                          > > hi bill and ed,
                          > > all i get in the files is chinese. why i do not know, can some email me a copy in english??? i have sprayed it well several times,
                          > > thanks much
                          > > wayne
                          > > --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, Bill <NPWBill@> wrote:
                          > > >
                          > > > HERE'S THE MANUAL.... BILL