Re: [mill_drill] Re: Buy new or used?

  • Tom P
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 11, 2012
      Thanks, Mark. Those specs help. It looks like it shares some
      characteristics with the G0705 ($1474 including stand) and some with the
      G1006 ($1445, no stand). All 3 seem to be very close in specs.

      TomP

    • rwc24908@aol.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 11, 2012
        Great bits of advice so far, so I thought I'd throw in my two cents worth.  I bought a used Grizzly G1006 about 10 years ago for $840 on ebay.
        I love it, and just converted it to a G1007 by adding a power x axis feed.  I also added a three axis DRO which is nice to have.  I personally feel that
        the bigger size of the G1006 (especially the bigger table) is well worth the extra money.  It all depends on what you want to do with the machine.
        The extra expense only hurts once, but you live with your choice for a long time.  The resale demand for the G1006 seems to be real good, but
        condition is everything.  There is a lot of abused crap out there, and a well cared for machine holds its value.
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 12, 2012
          I have to agree with one of the other posters that there are a lot of abused machines out there. Some of it is from hobbyists who don't know how to use and care for the machine, but the worst abuse I have seen is on machines used in industry. Professional machinists just DO NOT respect these machines. They are used to B'port and larger machines, and just pound the crap out of a milldrill, don't keep it clean etc., and they when it breaks, go "See, I told you it was crap!". The ones I have seen in shops are usually buried in the back with junk piled on top of the chips. You can get lucky sometimes, but be careful buying an 'industrial milldrill'.
          The only exception I have seen is when a large organization allows an R&D department or similar to get a milldrill for prototype work. These usually see little heavy use, though they may have some booger marks on the table from electronics techs, etc., who have been pressed into service as machinists. Depending on the magnitude of the boogers, I would grab such a milldrill in a minute.

          Jim (Just a guy who likes to build stuff)