Re: [mill_drill] Re: Machining Cast Iron

  • Mark Cason
    Message 1 of 26 , May 31, 2012
      On 05/31/2012 05:38 PM, Lennard wrote:

      > Hi Mark,
      > "Grizzly sells the gib for a little over $10.00, plus
      > shipping, and a
      > lead time of at least 90 days (called 2 months ago)."
      > I think your chances of getting Chinese Gibs that have been properly
      > cured are pretty remote - more likely you'll be in the same
      > predicament as now. I have purchased quite a few Chinese machines over
      > the years & I always replace the gibs with old cast iron replacements.
      > Never found a gib that was straight yet. If you have'nt got cured cast
      > iron available, then I'd do as suggested & go with brass or bronze.
      > Only takes a moment to pinch up once a monthe if required anyway.
      > Good luck,
      > Leonard
      >
      > ps. If you machine down cast iron do it over a period of time with
      > small cuts & let rest for a few weeks between machinings.

      The piece of cast iron I have should've been well seasoned. It was
      the sliding plate from a WW2 era lathe that was scrapped out.

      If I had only gotten to the recycle yard sooner...

      --
      -Mark

      Ne M'oubliez ---Family Motto
      Hope for the best, plan for the worst ---Personal Motto
    • Barry Lochridge
      Message 2 of 26 , Jun 4, 2012
        Would there be the same seasoning and warping problem using durabar cast-iron?  That's what I was considering.  Maybe I'll have to look into the bronze/brass idea as well.  Has anyone here done a successful gib with cast?