80 db max

  • snorkelca
    Message 1 of 17 , Jul 29, 2002
      The noise level ,i am thinking of a sheet of plywood to sandwich
      between the drip pan and stand top,the reason is to keep the stand
      from adding to the noise level. William.
    • Jerry@astroknobs
      Message 2 of 17 , Jul 29, 2002
        William,
        I assume you're seeking comment or are you just commenting?

        I put a piece of .5" MDF between mine, mostly because I put a couple of 3" anle irons on top of the stand with then intention of soon building a set of 4 legs with heavy leveling screws that weld on to the corners for rigidity.  The drip pan would not have been well supporte w/o the MDF.

        I don't have a db meter and I never ran it w/o th board and angles but  I don't get appreciable noise from the stand.  Most noise comes from the belt area.

        cheers, Jerry
        Message 3 of 17 , Jul 30, 2002
          Jerry;I was wondering if it was done, the manual I got list the noise
          level and looking at that drip pan all I see is speaker,so I want to
          dampen the resonance.I am happy you find that your sound is not from
          your stand and I am sure your 1/2" MDF is helping.I will put mine
          together tomorrow. 8^) William.

          --- In mill_drill@y..., "Jerry@a..." <jer@a...> wrote:
          > William,
          > I assume you're seeking comment or are you just commenting?
          >
          > I put a piece of .5" MDF between mine, mostly because I put a couple
          of 3" anle irons on top of the stand with then intention of soon
          building a set of 4 legs with heavy leveling screws that weld on to
          the corners for rigidity. The drip pan would not have been well
          supporte w/o the MDF.

          > I don't have a db meter and I never ran it w/o th board and angles
          but I don't get appreciable noise from the stand. Most noise comes
          from the belt area.

          > cheers, Jerry

          Service.
        • Jerry@astroknobs
          Message 4 of 17 , Jul 30, 2002
            William,
            Come to think of it, 80db isn't very loud.  Some cars are this loud at 70mph according to Road and Track.  I don't have any speaker noise from my pan or my stand.  The stand is pretty flimsey but doesn't vibrate.  Good luck putting yours together.  Cheers, jerry
            Jerry;I was wondering if it was done, the manual I got list the noise
            level and looking at that drip pan all I see is speaker,so I want to
            dampen the resonance.I am happy you find that your sound is not  from
            your stand and I am sure your 1/2" MDF is helping.I will put mine
            together tomorrow.  8^)  William.

            --- In mill_drill@y..., "Jerry@a..." <jer@a...> wrote:
            > William,
            > I assume you're seeking comment or are you just commenting?
            >
            > I put a piece of .5" MDF between mine, mostly because I put a couple
            of 3" anle irons on top of the stand with then intention of soon
            building a set of 4 legs with heavy leveling screws that weld on to
            the corners for rigidity.  The drip pan would not have been well
            supporte w/o the MDF.

            > I don't have a db meter and I never ran it w/o th board and angles
            but  I don't get appreciable noise from the stand.  Most noise comes
            from the belt area.

            > cheers, Jerry

            Service.

          • philteague
            Message 5 of 17 , Jul 30, 2002
              I put several bags of sand in my cabinet which is also bolted to a
              concrete pad and it cut down on the resonance. Most of the noise now
              comes from the top end of the machine.

              --- In mill_drill@y..., "snorkelca" <beaton@m...> wrote:
              > The noise level ,i am thinking of a sheet of plywood to sandwich
              > between the drip pan and stand top,the reason is to keep the stand
              > from adding to the noise level. William.
            • Marv Frankel
              Message 6 of 17 , Jul 30, 2002
                Guys,
                I don't know anything about these mill/drill machines, but from your
                description of the sound levels, the manufacturer must be using square
                bearings, and packing them with sand, before shipping the machines. Belt
                drives are usually pretty quiet, unless the bearings in the motor, idler
                pulley, and quill are noisy.

                Marv Frankel
                Los Angeles

                Message 7 of 17 , Jul 30, 2002
                  Marv,
                  What I neglected to say in my post is that although almost all of the noise comes from the top of the machine, it isn't much noise.  80dB isn't bad and I'd say it's closer to 75 (I judge this on the cockpit noise in a cheap car at 75 mph as the car magazines publish.  As I recall a porsche 911 is around 83db.)  One of the things I like about it is it's quiet but powerful soundling low rumble.  My master bedroom is above the garage and I'm able to run my lathe (belt driven 12x24) or my mill drill without her complaining so long as I avoid chatter.  One night I was parting some stainless steel when the bit started a very fine, high pitched whine that woke her up and half the neighborhood, I think.

                  There just isn't any vibration in the bottom to cause either the chip pan or the stand to resonate.  I work at a $5 billion industrial installation and have been responsible for various rotating equipment for 20 years and I find these machines to be very impressive for the price.  Indeed my table saw vibrates less but I've spent a lot of time tuning it and it has fewer moving parts.   I've also used powertwist linked belts to lower the vibration on both the lathe and the table saw.  I'm considering them on the milling machine.  However, they aren't supposed to be run backwards and I do have a few LH mill bits so I'm not sure if I'll install it or not.  It is a real improvement as conventional belts develop straight and curved spots over time, mostly from being shut down hot.

                  Cheers,
                  Jerry

                  Message 8 of 17 , Jul 31, 2002
                    Jerry,
                          Thanks for the explanation. I was relating the  80 db sound level to my personal experience, which is in the material handling field. I design warehouse & distribution systems, and one of the criteria for a large conveyor system, was the 80 db level. That's not easy to accomplish, when you have several miles of roller conveyor, with thousands of rollers rotating at once. I once installed a Danish-made sortation system over 600' long, that was so quiet, you could hold a conversation in the middle of it, in normal tones, without raising your voice. That sound level was not good enough for the manufacturer, who developed a newer version, driven by a linear motor, that was even quieter.

                    Marv Frankel
                    Los Angeles

                    P.S. My old Porsche 930 Turbo was much noisier than 83 db, when winding through the gears, up to the red line.

                    Message 9 of 17 , Jul 31, 2002
                      Marv,
                      Cool.  Quiet machinery is very nice.  I'll counter with another example:  the IR2131 impact wrench is so quiet that they have to put a sticker on it that says in effect:  This wrench isn't broken.  It is supposed to be very quiet.

                      What year was your 930?  I understand some of the earlier ones were both exhilarating and scary to drive with the sudden speed change as the turbo spooled up.

                      Clear skies,

                      Message 10 of 17 , Jul 31, 2002
                        Who would have thought that you can talk about mill-drill harmonics
                        and compare to turbo Porsche all at once, way cool guys,you gotta
                        great compare going on ,I really like it. William.

                        --- In mill_drill@y..., "Jerry@a..." <jer@a...> wrote:
                        > Marv,
                        > Cool. Quiet machinery is very nice. I'll counter with another
                        example: the IR2131 impact wrench is so quiet that they have to put a
                        sticker on it that says in effect: This wrench isn't broken. It is
                        supposed to be very quiet.

                        > What year was your 930? I understand some of the earlier ones were
                        both exhilarating and scary to drive with the sudden speed change as
                        the turbo spooled up.

                        > Clear skies,
                        > Jerry

                        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                        Service.

                        Service.

                        > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                        >
                        > Click here to find your contact lenses!

                        Service.
                      • Steve Roberts
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jul 31, 2002
                          Noise is a serious subject that many people do not realise especialy the young who think they are infalable anyway. Yes once upon a time I was one of those. Some five years ago I did a certification of a crane in a press shop (high speed stamping of cans and bottle tops) and neglected to use my ear protection. You young people may not have heard of ringing in your ears~it stays with you for life! Not funny I can say but you learn to live with it. Mind you a few shots of Crown Royal and it dulls the problem!
                          It used to be that by law 93 decibals was the maximum allowable in a manufacturing facility, it may be less by todays standards. Do what you can to reduce the noise level as it will benifit you in the long run.
                          When I took delivery of the GEM500G milling machine that was one of my concerns regarding the geared head. It turned out to be a lot lower than I expected. I changed the head oil to a heavier grade anyway and it purrs now.
                          Safe Chip cutting
                          Steve Roberts~Professional Engineer
                          VE3LEH

                          Message 12 of 17 , Jul 31, 2002
                            Jerry,
                                  My 930 Turbo was a 1986 that I bought in 1989 with 6000 miles on the odometer, and red, of course. It matched my brother's red Testarossa, and yes, punching it in the lower gears was like getting shot out of a cannon. I finally sold it after freeway commuting, and clutch pressure, didn't do my arthritic hip too much good. I cried when it went away.

                            Message 13 of 17 , Jul 31, 2002
                              My HF mill/drill does vibrate. The motor in particular has a high
                              frequency vibration which I think is responsible for most of the
                              vibration. However, I have noticed that even with the powertwist
                              belts I can get vibration, especially when I adjust the tension too
                              tightly on the idler to spindle pulley. If it is too tight it will
                              cause noticeable vibration that I can actually see when the machine
                              is running a certain speeds. I advoid this by being more careful
                              about the tension.

                              Speaking of powertwist belts, I first replaced the belt going from
                              the idler to the spindle pulley. That helped. I noticed that the same
                              sized belt (5/8") used on for the motor to idler pulley did not fit
                              as well. I used the 1/2" belt instead. This seems to fit in the
                              pulley better, however, I am not sure if this is recommended. I would
                              like to hear the comments of others on this.

                              Phil Teague

                              Service.
                            • Marv Frankel
                              Message 14 of 17 , Jul 31, 2002
                                Phil,
                                It's really too bad that some manufacturers put in earplugs, when
                                designing equipment, and the noise doesn't bother them. If you remove the
                                V-belt from the motor pulley, does the motor still vibrate? If not, then the
                                vibration may be further down the drive train. Is there an idler pulley
                                between the motor and the quill? If so, remove the belt between the idler
                                and the final drive pulley, and see what happens. (You may have already done
                                all that). My personal preference in drives, is timing belts, and if I
                                really wanted to get carried away, I'd replace the step pulleys with timing
                                belt pulleys, replace the motor with a good quality 3 phase motor, and drive
                                that with a VFD, that will give you the capability of controlling the speed,
                                without changing belts. Did I get too complicated?

                                Marv Frankel
                                Los Angeles

                                > My HF mill/drill does vibrate. The motor in particular has a high
                                > frequency vibration which I think is responsible for most of the
                                > vibration. However, I have noticed that even with the powertwist
                                > belts I can get vibration, especially when I adjust the tension too
                                > tightly on the idler to spindle pulley. If it is too tight it will
                                > cause noticeable vibration that I can actually see when the machine
                                > is running a certain speeds. I advoid this by being more careful
                                > about the tension.
                                >
                                > Speaking of powertwist belts, I first replaced the belt going from
                                > the idler to the spindle pulley. That helped. I noticed that the same
                                > sized belt (5/8") used on for the motor to idler pulley did not fit
                                > as well. I used the 1/2" belt instead. This seems to fit in the
                                > pulley better, however, I am not sure if this is recommended. I would
                                > like to hear the comments of others on this.
                                >
                                > Phil Teague
                                >

                                > --- In mill_drill@y..., "Jerry@a..." <jer@a...> wrote:
                                > > Marv,
                                > > What I neglected to say in my post is that although almost all of
                                > the noise comes from the top of the machine, it isn't much noise.
                                > 80dB isn't bad and I'd say it's closer to 75 (I judge this on the
                                > cockpit noise in a cheap car at 75 mph as the car magazines publish.
                                > As I recall a porsche 911 is around 83db.) One of the things I like
                                > about it is it's quiet but powerful soundling low rumble. My master
                                > bedroom is above the garage and I'm able to run my lathe (belt driven
                                > 12x24) or my mill drill without her complaining so long as I avoid
                                > chatter. One night I was parting some stainless steel when the bit
                                > started a very fine, high pitched whine that woke her up and half the
                                > neighborhood, I think.
                                > >
                                > > There just isn't any vibration in the bottom to cause either the
                                > chip pan or the stand to resonate. I work at a $5 billion industrial
                                > installation and have been responsible for various rotating equipment
                                > for 20 years and I find these machines to be very impressive for the
                                > price. Indeed my table saw vibrates less but I've spent a lot of
                                > time tuning it and it has fewer moving parts. I've also used
                                > powertwist linked belts to lower the vibration on both the lathe and
                                > the table saw. I'm considering them on the milling machine.
                                > However, they aren't supposed to be run backwards and I do have a few
                                > LH mill bits so I'm not sure if I'll install it or not. It is a real
                                > improvement as conventional belts develop straight and curved spots
                                > over time, mostly from being shut down hot.
                                > >
                                > > Cheers,
                                > > Jerry

                              • ed1366
                                Message 15 of 17 , Jul 31, 2002
                                  Phil,
                                  I'm pretty sure both of my pulley's are the same size--big shiney
                                  aluminum pulleys. I'll double check tonight. If they are, you
                                  shouldn't run a small belt in a large groove, it will probably bottom
                                  out instead of seating properly in the V. This could also cause your
                                  vibration if the small powertwist belt is bottoming out on those tabs.

                                  Otherwise, I would agree with your speculation that it is most likely
                                  the motor. Import motors can vary in quality and perhaps you didn't
                                  get a good one. You might try disassembling the motor. I just did
                                  that with my very cheap bandsaw. I found some poor electrical
                                  connections and soldered them. I found poor thread engagement on the
                                  screws that held the motor together. I put it all back togeher and
                                  it runs with much less vibration.

                                  Another thing I didn't mention because it is one of the first things
                                  I do on any machine: Make sure your pulley's are PERFECTLY aligned.
                                  Use a straight edge on the larger of the pulleys and slide them
                                  up/down until they are in exactly the same plane. This tremendously
                                  reduces the vibration. I think we don't have to worry about them
                                  being askew, just offset.

                                  Otherwise watch Ebay. You can look for a US made motor and go with
                                  either 110, 220, or go to 3ph variable frequency. There was a
                                  Baldor 3ph 2hp motor that just expired without selling. you could
                                  make him an offer and then buy a VFD. I bet that wouldn't vibrate.

                                  The frame size is 145T.

                                  BTW, do you have the 2119 or the 33686 that replaced it?

                                  Good luck,
                                  Jerry

                                • ed1366
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Jul 31, 2002
                                    Marv,
                                    I have some experience replacing v-belts with toothed flat belts.
                                    The latter has much greater strength so you can get buy with a
                                    smaller belt and I agree, it is a much better setup. However, the
                                    new pulleys are very expensive and you're probably rivaling the cost
                                    of the vfd and motor. Now we've doubled the price of our machine.

                                    I'm watching for a nice US motor because I'm a vibration fanatic but
                                    I won't be able to justify it unless it is very cheap since my motor
                                    has very low vibration.

                                    Cheers,
                                    Jerry

                                  • MERT BAKER
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Jul 31, 2002
                                      I've had my Chinese 12x36 for about 15 years, now, & the knob on the V belt
                                      is beginning to smooth out so there's nothing like the vibration it had when
                                      new. Thump thump thump. Greasing the gears made a big difference in the
                                      noise level, too. Fairly quiet, now.
                                      Mert
                                      MertBaker@...