Re: [mill_drill] Face Milling Proceedure

  • Corey Renner
    Message 1 of 10 , May 3, 2012
      Rick,
      good point.  The chips are useless, you have to crazy-glue them back together before using them on the next project ;)

      BTW, are you planning on attending the next meeting?  I made one hell of an injection mold...

      cheers,

      On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 11:37 AM, Rick Sparber <rgsparber@...> wrote:

      Corey,

      And if you are very lucky, you can use the scrap for another project J

      Rick

    • Rick Sparber
      Message 2 of 10 , May 3, 2012

        Corey,

        Yes! I have been forced to miss way too many meetings. I’ll have a big box of attachments I have made for various machines.

          Message 4 of 10 , May 3, 2012

            Corey,

            Nope. Just a lot of obligations including teaching and family/friends visits.

            Rick

            Message 5 of 10 , May 3, 2012
              Hi Paul,

              You could probably use the bandsaw in vertical mode, but a stiff
              slitting saw on a stout arbor might make quicker work of things and be
              less likely to wander.

              Personally I'd mount up a big end mill or face mill and increase the
              depth and / or feed until the machine began to complain. Most folks
              don't use machines to their full capability.

              In my shop I don't have a face mill that can really hog in steel, and
              the need is so infrequent I'm not willing to spend the money to get one.
              For this application I'd mount up a 3/4 or 1 inch end mill, and take
              off 50+ thou per pass. If the metal cuts well enough, a cut of .1 inch
              or more may be fine.

              Good luck with it,
              Stan

              On 05/03/2012 01:29 PM, Paul wrote:
              > I have a steel block about 4 inches square and need to remove the face of about half of it, a step about 2 or so inches wide and .200 deep. I use a small mill, X3 size, and normally remove between .010 and .015 with my 2.5 inch face mill. My question is would this be a normal amount to mill away with this size mill or would it be better to take the time to setup a jig to cut away some of the metal with my 4x6 band saw?
              >
              > Any comments would be appreciated.
              >
              > Paul H.

            • Paul
              Message 6 of 10 , May 4, 2012
                Thanks to all for the comments. It looks like the best way is to remove as much metal as possible before milling. I cut a larger step out of the other side of the block before milling it. I used the band saw in the horizontal mode by jacking the block up to align last of the cut. I used a large drill bit to create the angle and then clamped the piece in the saw using a small angle plate.

                Paul H.