RE: [mill_drill] Dispelling the Darkness

  • yahoogroups
    Message 1 of 31 , May 1, 2012
      Rick wrote:

      > I plan to design my lights around whatever wall wart I can get from
      > Goodwill. To the extent possible, I will run them in series to
      > minimize the need for resistors.

      Err, resisters? I just used a 12vdc wall wart I had laying around and
      wired the panels in parallel.

      It's working???
    • Rick Sparber
      Message 31 of 31 , May 1, 2012

        LEDs will blow if the maximum current is exceeded. But if you have a long string of LEDs and they have enough bulk resistance, it can work for a while. Furthermore, many wall warts have current limiting. So people can and do connect their LEDs directly to wall warts and they do work OK for a while. It is still bad form.

        Rick