Pin to hold R8 Collet - RF-30

  • rogers92026
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 30, 2012
      Hello all,

      I have an RF-30 and I need to get information on the pin inside the quill that keeps the collet from turning. That is, the pin that lines up with the slot in the R8 collet.

      Right now I don't have a pin. From the open inspection slot on the quill I can see where it (probably) goes. But when I stick my finger up into the quill from the bottom I don't feel anything. I suspect that it was either sheared off by the previous owner or that it was removed.

      I'm guessing that the pin is threaded and screwed in from the inspection slot in the quill from the outside. I looked at the parts list and can see the part but I could not determine whether it was US or metric or what size.

      can anyone assist me with this information?
    • Snag
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 30, 2012
        rogers92026 wrote:
        > Hello all,
        >
        > I have an RF-30 and I need to get information on the pin inside the
        > quill that keeps the collet from turning. That is, the pin that
        > lines up with the slot in the R8 collet.
        >
        > Right now I don't have a pin. From the open inspection slot on the
        > quill I can see where it (probably) goes. But when I stick my finger
        > up into the quill from the bottom I don't feel anything. I suspect
        > that it was either sheared off by the previous owner or that it was
        > removed.
        >
        > I'm guessing that the pin is threaded and screwed in from the
        > inspection slot in the quill from the outside. I looked at the parts
        > list and can see the part but I could not determine whether it was US
        > or metric or what size.
        >
        > can anyone assist me with this information?

        My '45 clone has been running happily without that pin for a couple of
        years now , and as long as your collets thread smoothly on the drawbar why
        bother ? Mine sheared when I overloaded a homemade flycutter ...
        --
        Snag
      • Art Eckstein
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 30, 2012
          That pin is not there to transmit cutting torque. Its there to help
          when tightening or loosening the drawbar. If you can do that, don't
          worry about it!

          Art
          country bubba

          At 04:56 PM 4/30/2012, you wrote:
          >Hello all,
          >
          >I have an RF-30 and I need to get information on the pin inside the
          >quill that keeps the collet from turning. That is, the pin that
          >lines up with the slot in the R8 collet.
          >
          >Right now I don't have a pin. From the open inspection slot on the
          >quill I can see where it (probably) goes. But when I stick my
          >finger up into the quill from the bottom I don't feel anything. I
          >suspect that it was either sheared off by the previous owner or that
          >it was removed.
          >
          >I'm guessing that the pin is threaded and screwed in from the
          >inspection slot in the quill from the outside. I looked at the
          >parts list and can see the part but I could not determine whether it
          >was US or metric or what size.
          >
          >can anyone assist me with this information?
        • BillL
          Message 4 of 9 , May 1, 2012
            I have just purchased a Jet 16 Mill/drill 1984 model.

            Can anyone give me some information about this unit?

            I assume it is some sort of a RF mill but I don't know a lot about it.

            Thanks

            Bill in Cincy
          • Art Eckstein
            Message 5 of 9 , May 1, 2012
              Bill,
              I believe that model is similar to the RF30 Mill Drill. As a matter of fact, I have a pdf file on my drive that I use to reference my RF31 sometimes. It is for the JMD-15/18/18PFN Mill/Drill Machine
              But I will be more than happy to send it your way if you like.

              Art
              Country Bubba

              At 12:40 PM 5/1/2012, BillL wrote:
              I have just purchased a Jet 16 Mill/drill 1984 model.

              Can anyone give me some information about this unit?

              I assume it is some sort of a RF mill but I don't know a lot about it.

              Thanks

              Bill in Cincy
            • Rick Sparber
              Message 6 of 9 , May 1, 2012

                If it is a RF30, I’ve had one since 1990 and still enjoy using it almost weekly. Of course, it is no longer a stock machine after all of these years of tinkering with it: VFD with 3 phase motor, DRO, improved draw bar, improved vise…

                Rick

                Message 7 of 9 , May 1, 2012
                  On 5/1/2012 9:40 AM, BillL wrote:
                  > I have just purchased a Jet 16 Mill/drill 1984 model.
                  >
                  > Can anyone give me some information about this unit?

                  Try http://www.ereplacementparts.com/jet-parts-c-32652.html You
                  might find something in there of interest.

                  JerryK
                • Arthur Marks
                  Message 8 of 9 , May 1, 2012
                    Jerry's right, I gotta say. I've had good luck with that
                    ereplacementparts.com place. I recently got a bandsaw from the 60's,
                    and they actually had the gearbox gaskets in stock! I was pleasantly
                    surprised :) They're pretty thorough. -Arthur

                    On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 2:39 PM, Jerome Kimberlin <kimberln@...> wrote:
                    > Try  http://www.ereplacementparts.com/jet-parts-c-32652.html    You
                    > might find something in there of interest.
                  • Jim S.
                    Message 9 of 9 , May 1, 2012
                      I agree with the guys who said that if you can tighten your tooling, don't worry about the pin. Many a B'port out there has lost it's pin and still works fine. Just as a matter of information though, I think the pin is actually a dog point setscrew, that is, one with a short straight turned shank that becomes the pin when screwed into the side of the spindle.

                      Jim (Just a guy who likes to build stuff)